Two Years of Articles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Years of Articles

Over the past two years I’ve posted a number of articles on my website, none of which I had anticipated writing when I joined this forum. Most of them are hidden on the site so I thought it might be helpful to list them all in one post. So here they are:

1. The Suckered! Trilogy

Three articles (England Sends Her Spies, The Third Man and The Thomas Barton Affair) dealing with the issue of what Scotland Yard detectives were doing in North America during the latter part of 1888. The link here takes you to a gateway to all three articles:

2. The Suckered! Plus Quadrilogy

A point by point response to Wolf Vanderlinden’s reply to the Suckered! Trilogy and, in the process, a dismantling of the main conspiracy theories relating to Scotland Yard and the Parnell Commission Inquiry. The link here takes you to a gateway to all four articles:

3. They All Love Bruce

A critical look at Bruce Robinson’s book ‘They All Love Jack’:

4. Anderson and The World

An article about the links between Robert Anderson and Edmund Yates, editor of the World, which resulted in various pro-Anderson stories being published in the World:

5. Fred Jarvis and the Secret Cypher

An examination of a fascinating and hitherto unknown secret service cypher found in files at the National Archives :

6. Tumblety’s Bail Revisited

An important correction to my article about Tumblety’s Bail in Ripperologist 144:

It also links to various sub-articles including:

Bail for foreigners

7. Some Thoughts

A compilation of short articles including “The Escape of ‘Frank Townsend’”, “New JTR Suspect Identified!”, “The Curious Case of the Fake Pensioner”, “Not So Fixed Points”, “The Missing Hour, Found!”, and “Reading the Writing On the Wall”:

8. Reconstructing Jack

A critical look at Simon Wood’s book, ‘Deconstructing Jack’ and his thesis that Jack the Ripper did not exist:

9. The Mysterious Dr Gabe

Why was Dr Gabe present at Miller’s Court on 9 November 1888? This article considers the question:

Accompanied by 'The Gynaecologist Society':

10. The English Detective

Was a squad of police officers really deployed to hunt for Francis Tumblety at police stations in November 1888? And did a Scotland Yard detective really follow Tumblety to New York in December? These questions are answered in this article which takes a critical look at Mike Hawley’s book, ‘The Ripper’s Haunts’:

11. The Untold History of the Special Branch

This article attempts to untangle difficult questions about the early years of the Special Branch:

See also accompanying article ‘The Non-Clerical Clerical Branch” http://www.orsam.co.uk/theclericalbranch.htm

12. A Bridge Too Far: The Curious Case of Mortemer Slade

Was the fictional character of Mortemer Slade in Guy Logan’s 1905 story ‘The True Case of Jack the Ripper’ really based on Montague Druitt? This article takes a critical look at issues arising out of J.J. Hainsworth’s book ‘Jack the Ripper: Case Solved, 1891’ (N.B. the author has since indicated on this forum that he will be making some corrections to the next edition of his book following publication of this article):

13. The History that Never Is

A critical look at the knowledge of Scotland Yard’s methods shown by Alex Butterworth in his book, ‘The History that Never Was: A True Story of Dreamers, Schemers, Anarchists and Secret Agents’:

14. The Knock Up

A gathering together of evidence relating to police practice of knocking up/calling up:

With sub article about calling up in respect of fires, ‘Calling Fire’:

Hello David

I've recently been discussing the 'saga of the grapes,' trying to look at scenarios that fit the proposal that they existed and why Blackwell, Johnston and Bagster Phillips all failed to mention them. Except of course for BP who said that she hadn't eaten grapes (although BR made a point of the fact that he only said 'seed or skin.') So I was interested to read your article on 'They All Love Jack' which included the dreaded grapes.
    I'd just like to say what an excellent analysis you've made. Some would, no doubt, debate some points but you have shown the importance of source material, logical inferences and reasoned argument. Worthy of the Great Detective himself!
    I've long wished that someone would write a real analysis of every aspect of the case in the manner of Bugliosi's analysis of the JFK assassination in 'Reinventing History.' I'd suggest you give it a go but you've probably not got twenty years to spare!

Regards
    HS
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Thank you HS.

I've since discussed the point about the grapes with an experienced researcher and he was sceptical that blood spots on a hand would look like grapes from a distance. I think they might well do...but I can't prove it.

I might point out that Tom Wescott also deals with the grapes in his recent book 'Ripper Confidential' and, if my memory serves me correctly, reaches the same conclusion as me. If you are interested in the subject you might want to give his book a look.

I'll also leave it to Tom, or you, or someone else, to analyse every aspect of the case!

Comment

Thank you David.

I've just read the Patterson book. I have Jewbaiter on order. Wescott's is next on my list.
        I'll give writing that book a miss I think though. I read a thread that you were on with someone called Pierre and it almost cost me my sanity!

Regards
        HS
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

I've just been re-reading my "Reconstructing Jack" article this evening. Man, that is long! But pretty good though if I say so myself.

Anyway, I've just added a small section to it. For anyone interested it can be found in blue font under the sub-heading "TWO MURDERS IN ONE NIGHT", towards the end of it.

The link to the article is in the OP.

Comment

I glanced through it before. But now I'll have to read it again. Thoroughly this time.

Comment

Nice critique of Bruce Robinson's book. Gods, I wish I hadn't gone into that one blind.

Comment

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                Over the past two years I’ve posted a number of articles on my website, none of which I had anticipated writing when I joined this forum. Most of them are hidden on the site so I thought it might be helpful to list them all in one post. So here they are:

1. The Suckered! Trilogy

Three articles (England Sends Her Spies, The Third Man and The Thomas Barton Affair) dealing with the issue of what Scotland Yard detectives were doing in North America during the latter part of 1888. The link here takes you to a gateway to all three articles:

2. The Suckered! Plus Quadrilogy

A point by point response to Wolf Vanderlinden’s reply to the Suckered! Trilogy and, in the process, a dismantling of the main conspiracy theories relating to Scotland Yard and the Parnell Commission Inquiry. The link here takes you to a gateway to all four articles:

3. They All Love Bruce

A critical look at Bruce Robinson’s book ‘They All Love Jack’:

4. Anderson and The World

An article about the links between Robert Anderson and Edmund Yates, editor of the World, which resulted in various pro-Anderson stories being published in the World:

5. Fred Jarvis and the Secret Cypher

An examination of a fascinating and hitherto unknown secret service cypher found in files at the National Archives :

6. Tumblety’s Bail Revisited

An important correction to my article about Tumblety’s Bail in Ripperologist 144:

It also links to various sub-articles including:

Bail for foreigners

7. Some Thoughts

A compilation of short articles including “The Escape of ‘Frank Townsend’”, “New JTR Suspect Identified!”, “The Curious Case of the Fake Pensioner”, “Not So Fixed Points”, “The Missing Hour, Found!”, and “Reading the Writing On the Wall”:

8. Reconstructing Jack

A critical look at Simon Wood’s book, ‘Deconstructing Jack’ and his thesis that Jack the Ripper did not exist:

9. The Mysterious Dr Gabe

Why was Dr Gabe present at Miller’s Court on 9 November 1888? This article considers the question:

Accompanied by 'The Gynaecologist Society':

10. The English Detective

Was a squad of police officers really deployed to hunt for Francis Tumblety at police stations in November 1888? And did a Scotland Yard detective really follow Tumblety to New York in December? These questions are answered in this article which takes a critical look at Mike Hawley’s book, ‘The Ripper’s Haunts’:

11. The Untold History of the Special Branch

This article attempts to untangle difficult questions about the early years of the Special Branch:

See also accompanying article ‘The Non-Clerical Clerical Branch” http://www.orsam.co.uk/theclericalbranch.htm

12. A Bridge Too Far: The Curious Case of Mortemer Slade

Was the fictional character of Mortemer Slade in Guy Logan’s 1905 story ‘The True Case of Jack the Ripper’ really based on Montague Druitt? This article takes a critical look at issues arising out of J.J. Hainsworth’s book ‘Jack the Ripper: Case Solved, 1891’ (N.B. the author has since indicated on this forum that he will be making some corrections to the next edition of his book following publication of this article):

13. The History that Never Is

A critical look at the knowledge of Scotland Yard’s methods shown by Alex Butterworth in his book, ‘The History that Never Was: A True Story of Dreamers, Schemers, Anarchists and Secret Agents’:

14. The Knock Up

A gathering together of evidence relating to police practice of knocking up/calling up:

With sub article about calling up in respect of fires, ‘Calling Fire’:
                http://www.orsam.co.uk/callingfire.htm
                NIce! Thanks for posting all in one place!
                I'm amazed at your great combination of writing and researching skills.
                Are you considering writing a Book on the ripper case and or any aspect on it?
                Now that's one I would buy.
                "Is all that we see or seem
                but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Very kind and generous of you to say so Abby, as always. I don't really have anything to say directly about the Ripper case which could fill a book, least of all with regards to the identity of the killer. The police side of things is more of a possibility but I would need to be sure I could write something new and of interest for circa 300 pages before luring you and others into parting with your hard earned cash!

Comment

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                    Very kind and generous of you to say so Abby, as always. I don't really have anything to say directly about the Ripper case which could fill a book, least of all with regards to the identity of the killer. The police side of things is more of a possibility but I would need to be sure I could write something new and of interest for circa 300 pages before luring you and others into parting with your hard earned cash!
                    Your too humble.

The torso cases still need the definitive book. : )
                    "Is all that we see or seem
                    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Hi David,

That was an interesting piece about W.T. Madge, of The People.

Here's the same story by H. Simonis—Street of Ink, 1917

Click image for larger version

Name:	WT MADGE DOUBLE EVENT STREET OF INK H SIMONIS P 151.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	666983

And an excerpt from his obituary in The Times.

Click image for larger version

Name:	THE TIMES 31 JAN 1927 MADGE OBITUARY.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	666984

Regards,

Simon
                      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Thanks Simon, so how does that affect your theory (if I may be so bold to describe it as such) that it was the police who deliberately promulgated the notion of the double murders being committed by the same person?

Comment

Hi David,

It doesn't.

But thanks for asking.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

A pleasure Simon.

It's interesting, though, that I see on page 474 of your book that you wrote that "it is hard to understand" how the police reached the conclusion so soon after the murders of Stride and Eddowes that they were the work of the same person, that person having been disturbed while murdering Stride.

Do you find it equally hard to understand how W.T. Madge reached the same conclusion so soon after the murders?

Comment

Hi David,

It might be a case of W.T. Madge being wise after the event.

Thomas Catling didn't mention his presence that morning.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Working...
                              X