Jack's second name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack's second name

In an article in the Pall Mall Gazette of September 8th 1888 in a discussion of the Whitechapel Murders the killer is described as the 'Midnight Murderer'.
    This was between the 'Leather Apron' and 'Jack the Ripper' times.
    Now if I had been an enterprising journalist in September of 1888 I wouldn't have chosen Jack as my moniker, but rather this mystical and mysterious Midnight Murderer.
    Only a madman would have chosen Jack.

Hi AP,

'Midnight Murderer' is the stuff of romantic fiction. It's akin to 'The Shadow'—you'd expect Doris Day to star as the stalwart heroine in the movie version (no doubt singing 'Que Sera, Sera' whilst being hacked to death in Millers Court).

Only the most astute of marketing men (arguably a madman) could have conjured the soubriquet 'Jack' (second name - 'The Ripper'). It's perfect, immaculate—one of history's most enduring brand-names.

Regards,

Simon
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

After Chapman, he should have been called the Sunrise Killer. Midnight Murderer does sound good though. Sort of like the uncaught Moonlight Murderer of 1946 which was also a misnomer because he never killed when the moon was full as was implied.
      This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

And there was me thinking Jack's second name was 'the'.

PHILIP
        Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

I thought his original name was The Whitechapel Murderer.
          This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Lots of variant names were used, and Sept. 8th certainly wasn't "between" Leather Apron and Jack the Ripper, as Leather Apron stuck around a long, long time. And I don't know how on earth the argument that a journalist faking a letter would have stuck with "Midnight Murderer" (lame) instead of making a new one makes the slightest bit of sense even to a poster well known for not making much sense.

Dan Norder
            Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
            Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Comment

The Whitechapel Murderer tag seems odd to me seeing as 2 of the canonical murders, I hate that label, happend in Spitalfields, 1 Mile End New Town, 1 in St George in the East and 1 in Aldgate.

I guess it stems from the Smith and Tabram attacks, as well as McKenzie crime later but technically speaking, out of the accepted 5, none happend in Whitechapel.

Monty
              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

The East End Eviscerator would be my alias, try and copy that lower class letter writers ha ha!

The London Looney could be another alternative,

Or like Homer Simpson Max Power!

It seem's the press has to lable every killer with some sort of smart whitty name, usually including a suggestion to what atrocities they committed.

Think The Suffolk Strangler

The Moors Murderers

And Ian Huntley's alias "Twat" or did i make that one up?
                Regards Mike

Comment

The best I could do was;
                  The Victorian with Violent Vivisection-like Visions.
                  Not quite factually accurate, but definitely alliterative.
                  Roll up the lino, Mother. We're raising Behemoth tonight!

Comment

Names that didn't make Jack's List:

London's Lacerater

Mack the Mincer

Charlie Chisler

Howard the Hacker

Flatulence Freak

Working Girl's Willy

The Slum Slasher

Jack the Clipper

Jack the Dipper ( Eye Brow Raised)

So Finally:

ahhhhhh... Jack the Ripper ( hmm describes what I've done and a double meaning of my flatulence problem too)
                    "Truth only reveals itself when one gives up all preconceived ideas. ~Shoseki

When one has one's hand full of truth it is not always wise to open it. ~French Proverb

Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first, it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, in the third it is regarded as self-evident. ~Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                      The East End Eviscerator would be my alias, try and copy that lower class letter writers ha ha!
                      One of the hoax letters of the time was signed "Bill the Boweller", which I thought rather quaint.
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Brother Mike,

You saying the lower class cannot write letters?

Typical bourgeois attitude, fellow Hullovian Prescott would turn in his grave.

When the time comes...and it will my friend...you will be the first to go.

Along with Peter Andre, the BASTAR...

Monty
                        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                          One of the hoax letters of the time was signed "Bill the Boweller", which I thought rather quaint.
                          Really Gareth???
                          .....How as you say..... quaint!!!!! Was disturbingly put in mind of the 'er name for Richard the Third........D*** the S*** always makes me smirk......... mercifully I cant think of one for Edward II.....Pain in the a** tho that guy!"!!

Up againsnt the wall Mont come the glorious day!!!!! I say.......I'll re-load for you!!!! (and wroite de leterrs.....dead posh loike so none of them toffs naw what wez on abaght)

Oh yes and the THE as a middle name is nothing new is it....look at Peter, Catherine and more importantly Rupert used this little number!!!NOT the first to make this point .....just making it again!!!
                          Of course Richard THE Third and a lot of Kings and Queens did it too! Ah!

Suzi The Daft x
                          Last edited by Suzi; 03-07-2008, 12:25 AM.
                          'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

The Goulston Street Guttersnipe may have something to scribble too .....Or even the Baker Street Incontinents may have something to say about the apron................ Ooooooops
                            'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Working...
                            X