Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Shades of Whitechapel: Favorite Films (lists up to participating site members) - by Henry Flower 30 minutes ago.
Bury, W.H.: Why didn't Lawende ID Bury? - by Harry D 32 minutes ago.
Bury, W.H.: Why didn't Lawende ID Bury? - by MysterySinger 2 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Favorite Films (lists up to participating site members) - by Herlock Sholmes 3 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Favorite Films (lists up to participating site members) - by Robert 3 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Favorite Films (lists up to participating site members) - by Henry Flower 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Shades of Whitechapel: Favorite Films (lists up to participating site members) - (15 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: PC did not pass Dorset St. in his beat - (10 posts)
Non-Fiction: Deconstructing Jack by Simon Wood - (10 posts)
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: The Nature of Evidence - (6 posts)
Audio -- Visual: American Ripper - TV documentary series - (5 posts)
Audio -- Visual: Exorcist and JTR - (4 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Media > Books > Non-Fiction

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #91  
Old 04-22-2017, 08:42 PM
Dane_F Dane_F is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 246
Default

I am decidedly late to this, I realize, but after anxiously awaiting Tom's book for so long I am now thoroughly enjoying it.

Thank you Tom. As always your style is one that causes me to think harder on subjects and question things that I assumed were settled. Really, that is the greatest accomplishment someone can have.

Might I ask, have you done any press for this book or interviews or anything? I quite enjoyed listening to the podcasts and interviews that came out around the time of The Bank Holiday Murders release.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 04-22-2017, 09:48 PM
Tom_Wescott Tom_Wescott is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_F View Post
I am decidedly late to this, I realize, but after anxiously awaiting Tom's book for so long I am now thoroughly enjoying it.

Thank you Tom. As always your style is one that causes me to think harder on subjects and question things that I assumed were settled. Really, that is the greatest accomplishment someone can have.

Might I ask, have you done any press for this book or interviews or anything? I quite enjoyed listening to the podcasts and interviews that came out around the time of The Bank Holiday Murders release.
Dane! Great to see you. You're not late to anything. I'm pretty sure the case ain't getting any colder. I haven't yet done any podcasts but I've got a bunch coming up. I'm hoping for two episodes of Rippercast and MAYBE another with a debate between myself and Ed Stow, if enough people are interested in hearing it. Aside from that there'll be a bunch of others I'll post about as they happen. I GREATLY appreciate you reading the book and taking the time to post about it.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 04-22-2017, 11:26 PM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 14,954
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
When have you known me to invest too much in anyone's thinking? Aside from Debs, of course.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Ive known you to invest too much in the thinking of the anonymous poster who told you that you had wrath coming your way from my side, making you react by calling Edward my master.
Otherwise, no - you normally stand on your own two feet, right or wrong.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 04-23-2017, 12:30 AM
Tom_Wescott Tom_Wescott is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
Ive known you to invest too much in the thinking of the anonymous poster who told you that you had wrath coming your way from my side, making you react by calling Edward my master.
Otherwise, no - you normally stand on your own two feet, right or wrong.
No, I just didn't know you read this thread, so I was talking some s**t about you. Let it go. People like to say a certain researcher does all my work for me. You think that bothers me? It's cute! And what's this 'right or wrong' business? What's this obsession everyone has with me having to be wrong? Is it the end of the world or something if you're wrong? Is that why everyone plays it so damn safe? If I could say one thing to Ripperology it's stop taking yourself so seriously and have fun with it. When it's not boring it IS fun you know.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 04-23-2017, 06:19 AM
Dane_F Dane_F is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
Dane! Great to see you. You're not late to anything. I'm pretty sure the case ain't getting any colder. I haven't yet done any podcasts but I've got a bunch coming up. I'm hoping for two episodes of Rippercast and MAYBE another with a debate between myself and Ed Stow, if enough people are interested in hearing it. Aside from that there'll be a bunch of others I'll post about as they happen. I GREATLY appreciate you reading the book and taking the time to post about it.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
This is great news, please keep us updated on when these podcasts take place.

As far as your book goes, there's something about your writing style that makes it easy to read and hard to put down. I was thinking about this last night as I read. Maybe it's because your book is broken up more into essay form than one long narrative. Whatever the reason, don't lose this style as it's very refreshing after reading so many that I have to will myself to finish.


Just some interesting tidbits that I mused over while reading:

4 murders, 2 buildings next to each other, 9 months. After reading this over and over it finally clicked that this sounded similar to me from another series of murders I'm interested in: The Jeff Davis 8. These were a group of women all murdered over the course of a couple years, all lived in the same town, all were either friends with each other or at least knew each other, the most likely suspect knew them all and had a reason for specifically killing them (still unsolved), there's a tale of police corruption or possible involvement. Basically it just drove home the point that maybe there was a reason these 4 were specifically targeted by Jack. Could have been as simple as he knew they would be easy pickings.

Your description of the events as they happened in Bucks Row finally cleared it up for me. Especially in regards to the carmen and Mizen and the "lie". Very well done though I'm sure some will argue this point to death and say you've got it wrong.

Polly Nichols as a potential police informant. I found this brief point as a, hmm, that would be interesting. Of course we can't speak in definitives but that would make 2 of the murdered people that were rumored to potentially be police informants right?

Still so interesting is this case even after all these years. Anyway, excuse my rambling. Thank you again Tom.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 04-23-2017, 07:50 AM
The Station Cat The Station Cat is online now
Detective
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_F View Post
This is great news, please keep us updated on when these podcasts take place.

As far as your book goes, there's something about your writing style that makes it easy to read and hard to put down. I was thinking about this last night as I read. Maybe it's because your book is broken up more into essay form than one long narrative. Whatever the reason, don't lose this style as it's very refreshing after reading so many that I have to will myself to finish.


I couldn't agree more!!!! Having just finished part 1 can't wait start reading part 2.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 04-23-2017, 09:20 AM
Dane_F Dane_F is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Station Cat View Post
I couldn't agree more!!!! Having just finished part 1 can't wait start reading part 2.
Yes indeed.

The introduction of Margret Millous is the most captivating piece of JTR research I've read since Tom did it in his previous book with Pearly Poll. The implications of what it would mean, if what Tom suggests is true, are astounding.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 04-23-2017, 09:29 AM
Tom_Wescott Tom_Wescott is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_F View Post
This is great news, please keep us updated on when these podcasts take place.

As far as your book goes, there's something about your writing style that makes it easy to read and hard to put down. I was thinking about this last night as I read. Maybe it's because your book is broken up more into essay form than one long narrative. Whatever the reason, don't lose this style as it's very refreshing after reading so many that I have to will myself to finish.
Dane, I'm delighted you like the format of Ripper Confidential. I doubt I'll use this format again in a Ripper book, though never say never. My next book will be in a different format than the previous two though. My reasoning for it this time was simple - I wanted to write only about the particular areas of the case that most interest me, without having to feel obligated to shorten the length of them in order to bring in all the other stuff that most of my readers would already know anyways.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_F
Just some interesting tidbits that I mused over while reading:

4 murders, 2 buildings next to each other, 9 months. After reading this over and over it finally clicked that this sounded similar to me from another series of murders I'm interested in: The Jeff Davis 8. These were a group of women all murdered over the course of a couple years, all lived in the same town, all were either friends with each other or at least knew each other, the most likely suspect knew them all and had a reason for specifically killing them (still unsolved), there's a tale of police corruption or possible involvement. Basically it just drove home the point that maybe there was a reason these 4 were specifically targeted by Jack. Could have been as simple as he knew they would be easy pickings.
The Jeff Davis 8 case sounds familiar to me, but what you describe is so intriguing I'm going to have to look it up and reacquaint myself with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_F
Your description of the events as they happened in Bucks Row finally cleared it up for me. Especially in regards to the carmen and Mizen and the "lie". Very well done though I'm sure some will argue this point to death and say you've got it wrong.
LOL. You think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_F
Polly Nichols as a potential police informant. I found this brief point as a, hmm, that would be interesting. Of course we can't speak in definitives but that would make 2 of the murdered people that were rumored to potentially be police informants right?

Still so interesting is this case even after all these years. Anyway, excuse my rambling. Thank you again Tom.
Regarding Polly being a police informant, I'm sure some will say that I think she was an informant simply because I mention it as a possibility in my book. I don't. But it is a possibility. I think Pearly Poll and other people in similar circumstances who pop up here and there were police informants, so why not one or more of the victims?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 04-23-2017, 09:36 AM
Tom_Wescott Tom_Wescott is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_F View Post
Yes indeed.

The introduction of Margret Millous is the most captivating piece of JTR research I've read since Tom did it in his previous book with Pearly Poll. The implications of what it would mean, if what Tom suggests is true, are astounding.
Thanks for that. 90% of the people currently in the Ripper scene will not be able to adjust their thinking in order to accept Millous might have been a Ripper victim. I knew that when I was writing it. But it's for the next generation to take on board and follow up. Maybe the one after that. I may be way off base in my thinking and if so I hope someone will find that out. But it seems extremely logical to me.

In the hours just before the murder of Polly Nichols we have a screaming woman running through Brady Street, the screams were said to have began from about the place a bloody handprint was found. Around the same time Margaret Millous checks into London Hospital for a serious cut to her arm. So serious she remains in hospital for 2 weeks. Reports then start appearing in papers of a potential Ripper victim who survived. All the pieces fit perfectly and present the start of a picture, but since not all the pieces are there it's not a complete picture an I might be seeing a dinosaur where in fact there's only a frog.

As I mention in my book, there is a LOT of material in existence that has not been collected in a digital database yet but one day will be. So, I think it's good that all this stuff get out there into the conscious of people who are or one day will be researching the case so that when they come across items they'll be able to recognize the significance of this. I've no doubt we've not heard the last of Margaret Millous.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 04-23-2017, 10:40 AM
Dane_F Dane_F is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 246
Default

Tom,

The Jeff Davis 8 really is an interesting case. If I might suggest a starting point that really lays out the details of the case it would be this one: https://medium.com/matter/who-killed...8-d1b813e13581

There are some similarities that I can see between this and JTR that might also scratch the same itch for you and give you a chance to stretch the same muscles but get a break from constant JTR research.


The Police informant point I completely agree with. There's no way of knowing if it's true nor can we really determine what the implications would be, if any, even if they were true. It is something that makes you go, "That's interesting to think about".

. . .Which is really what makes Margret Millous such a huge and wonderful revelation of research. Here you have actual evidence that points to the potential of a failed attack, not just randomly on some night in some area, but on the same night and in the same area as someone that WAS murdered by JTR.

The implications of what this means, the thought that the first double event might actually involve Nichols and an until now unknown victim, I mean wow. This is good stuff and yet it's a shame because so many will dismiss it off hand without giving it the proper attention it deserves.

Your talk of a next generation of Ripper researchers is both heartening and saddening as well. The vast amount of knowledge that the "old timers" possess would be so helpful in new research, yet I feel most of the most knowledgeable people are also the most stuck in their way and unwilling to budge. Still, a new generation might be exactly what is needed to breathe life back into this case.

Count yourself among them Tom. Or maybe, even more importantly you will serve as a bridge between the two.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.