Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Non-Fiction: Ripper Confidential by Tom Wescott (2017) - by Tom_Wescott 18 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Israel Schwartz - new information - by Tom_Wescott 22 minutes ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Wickerman 2 hours ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by harry 3 hours ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Wickerman 3 hours ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Wickerman 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (91 posts)
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - (51 posts)
Annie Chapman: Annie's scarf - (2 posts)
Witnesses: Israel Schwartz - new information - (1 posts)
Non-Fiction: Ripper Confidential by Tom Wescott (2017) - (1 posts)
General Discussion: Slang terms - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Media > Audio -- Visual > Rippercast

Old 05-19-2017, 10:22 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
Ooh in that case I'm ordering a shot of Cognac Croizet Cuvée Leonie 1858.

(yes I googled to find out the world's most expensive shot.)
I've got a few cases of that I can sell you. I've stored it in old lemonade bottles, but it's genuine enough

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:37 PM
WWotW

LOL... considering pretty much all alcohol tastes like old moldy lemonade to me, you could probably get away with your ruse.

Let all Oz be agreed;
I'm Wicked through and through.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:32 PM
Inspector

I agree with Ally's take on this: the "disembowelment" statement was made after the murders. There is really no other way to interpret this.

RH
Old 05-24-2017, 04:28 AM
Cadet

Post Searching for Documents

So, I'm very interested in studying the medical and social treatment of so called "hermaphrodites" from the Elizabethan and Victorian periods (I've been doing it for a couple of years now), and I'd really like to get a copy of those pages. Especially Norris's deposition. I'm hoping to do some research and write a paper on it, but without the primary source, it's kind of difficult to work on.
Any advice?
Btw, awesome segment. Really loved this episode.

Last edited by Emily Harless : 05-24-2017 at 04:40 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:04 PM
Inspector

Hi Emily. I don't think you've accumulated enough posts to send or receive private messages here yet so feel free to email me:

rippercastpodcast at gmail dot com.

Maybe you can give me more of an idea of what you might like to find in the new Tumblety documents and I can see if I can help you out. As you've heard on the show, there were multiple people (attorneys, nurses, undertakers, and Norris) that commented on his "hermaphroditic" disorder.

Thanks for listening to the podcast,

Jonathan
Old 05-25-2017, 07:21 AM
Detective

Hello Emily... sounds like fascinating research you are doing..as one of the people who broke this revelation about Tumblety I want to stress that I in NO WAY think that the condition adds anything to him being a suspect... to me, it was just a side note....and one I knew people would find interesting.. please let us know more about your study .

Steadmund Brand
Old 05-25-2017, 10:41 AM
Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
Hello Emily... sounds like fascinating research you are doing..as one of the people who broke this revelation about Tumblety I want to stress that I in NO WAY think that the condition adds anything to him being a suspect... to me, it was just a side note....and one I knew people would find interesting.. please let us know more about your study .

Steadmund Brand
I totally agree that it doesn't add much (if anything) to his status as a suspect. I find his behavior very interesting, and based on what I already know about the experience of hermaphrodites during the Elizabethan and Victorian periods, it seems that Tumblety is a great example of what the mistreatment of intersexed individuals can do to their psychological health. Tumblety brings together two things I'm really enthusiastic about: the Ripper case and the history of "hermaphrodites".
Old 05-25-2017, 06:02 PM
Chief Inspector

Hi all,

I actually have more information than what was presented on Rippercast. Keep in mind, the original plan was to approach Rippercast later, but we were forced to show some of our cards prematurely. The dramatic stuff is out, though. My point: Be careful on concluding anything. For example, the answer to when Tumblety's disemboweled comment was made has been confirmed, but this info will come out later. Sorry Rob, although in your mind there is no other way...

Howard and Nina Brown - Great job, and yes, you have discovered the correct Richard Norris. There is even more. I did find some of the articles Nina found, but I will be giving you and Nina the credit. And yes, I am also surprised researchers never discovered Tumbley's intersex condition, especially when the police in likely multiple cities knew.

Sincerely,

Mike
Old 05-25-2017, 08:37 PM
Detective

Yeah.....I forgot to mention the outstanding job Howard and Nina did.....you two are fast!!!!....
I am also surprised that the intersexed news never saw the light of day.....to be honest, when Mike told me the night he read it I didn't believe it...I even said..."that's not possible....with all the research done how could that have flown under the radar" but then I saw the documents myself....and as Mike said, there is a lot more, but we just weren't ready when we realized we had to do the Rippercast....I really want to thank Jonathan and Ally again....we knew we wanted Rippercast to be first, but damn, they really stepped up in our hour of need.....I also want to thank everyone who has taken the time to listen, and especially those who weighed in on it...even those who disagree with me ��....it is for all of you we are doing this work for...and I look forward to (as I know Mike does) bringing more info out when it's ready, been checked, and double checked, as it's the truth I care about...not some "case closed" stuff...just the historical evidence on this person who is after all a fascinating character....in and out of the "Ripper" discussion.

Steadmund Brand
Old 05-25-2017, 09:00 PM
Commisioner

Can't wait for the next instalment.

No secret I find two of the most fascinating suspects highly unlikely to be Jack. Tumblety and Deeming both belong in the total Bastards catagory.

But you never know Mike may eventually convert me, he has certainly done some great work.

I long ago, before I even found casebook was persuaded he was a contemporary police suspect and have always believed they deserve the most investigation.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.