Mack the Knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mack the Knife

There was a very interesting documentary on Brecht's and Weill's song "Mack the Knife" on BBC Radio 2 last night - available on BBC I player.

I may be wrong but I thought that this song from the Threepenny Opera was based on Jack the Ripper. Anyway, the radio programme is worth a listen.

Regards,

Originally posted by The Wednesday View Post
    There was a very interesting documentary on Brecht's and Weill's song "Mack the Knife" on BBC Radio 2 last night - available on BBC I player.

I may be wrong but I thought that this song from the Threepenny Opera was based on Jack the Ripper. Anyway, the radio programme is worth a listen.

Regards,
    It revolves around a german merchant seaman killing prostitutes !!!!!!

Comment

Hi Trevor,

I said based on - ie the derivation of the theme. Thus I was alluding to concept rather than the actuality of the received historical provenace. Then again having read your book...... say no more!

Comment

I think it was at least inspired by JtR.
        This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

[
          QUOTE=sdreid;165481]I think it was at least inspired by JtR.[/QUOTE
          ]

I agree with you Stan.

I love this version (closest to the original German);
          From "20th century blues" , 1996Music: Kurt WeillLyrics: Bertolt Brecht, from the Threepenny Opera, 1928 English Translation: Frank McGuinness, 1987

The song "Mack the Knife" was witten by Kurt Weill for his wife Lotte Lenya. Here Ms Lenya sings "Mack the Knife" in its original German.
          Last edited by Rubyretro; 02-17-2011, 01:53 PM.
          http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Working...
          X