Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John G View Post
    Hello Moonbegger,

Thanks for reply. Yes, I remember a recent post from Ausgirl indicating that throat cuttings, and even throat cutting suicides, were much more common than today. On the other hand, throat cutting murders were very uncommon.

Cheers,

John
    Yes John , I guess that may have also had a part to play in the coroners summing up of the Stride case ..
    "The appearance of the injury to her throat was not in itself inconsistent with that of a self-inflicted wound. Both Dr. Phillips and Dr. Blackwell have seen self- inflicted wounds more extensive and severe, but those have not usually involved the carotid artery. Had some sharp instrument been found near the right hand of the deceased this case might have had very much the appearance of a determined suicide."
    cheers , moonbegger

Comment

Of the murders of females in 1888 catalogued by Peter Stubley in his book 'London Murders in the Year of the Ripper' there was only one involving a knife (besides Jack's of course.) This was the murder of a Hannah Potzdammer by her estranged husband. He used a shoemakers knife on both Hannah's throat and his own. Both died before an arrest could be made.

An Emily Bignall was shot by a neighbour (though I've always believed murder by gun were very rare in urban areas) and a Charlotte Whale had her head battered in by a water jug held by her presumed female de facto. Both of these resulted in muderer charges. A manslaughter charge was pressed due to two women fighting outside a pub after one of them died from a fractured skull.
      Last edited by Rosella; 04-02-2015, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Mrs. Brown

Hello Rosella. So he never catalogued Mrs. Brown?

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
          Hello Rosella. So he never catalogued Mrs. Brown?

Cheers.
          LC
          Hello Lynn,

Perhaps I could answer this one. Yes he did! Stubley's book was my source material for the information I provided on Sarah Brown's murder.

Comment

better

Hello John. Thanks.

I feel better.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

So , if accurate , then the first victim of the murderous throat cutting episode in Bucks Row must have survived .

moonbegger .

Comment

Working...
              X