The Lodger (the Original) -- Spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lodger (the Original) -- Spoilers

I am finally wathcing Hitchcock's The Lodger. Not technically a Ripper film, yet I think it still counts.

I was curious about it for years because I'd read about the cool scene where Hitch used a glass ceiling so that he could show the Lodger pacing on the floor above the others as he couldn't use sound. And of course, it's Hitchcock. That's always a good reason to watch.

I was curious what reactions to the ending were. I had read long ago that Hitch had to change the ending because the original implied that the Lodger was "The "Avenger." Yet some modern viewers think he pulled a fast one on the studios and still managed to imply that. On the other hand, the Hitchcock expert I read seemed to think that having to use this ending gave Hitch a better movie in the ending, thhe first of many "wrong man" movies.

What do you think? This was the first time he had to change the ending because studios didnt't want matinee idols playing someone who turned out to be a killer. On the other hand, in this case, something ambigous might have been better. I dont't know yet because I paused the movie so that I could post this. Darn silent movies... I am forced to actually watch the movie instead of half-watching and half-listening.

I know the Lodger theory isn't taken seriously. At the same time, I wonder how many innocent men were watched over by landladies because they thought they were boarding the Ripper...
    Last edited by Critteranne; 10-09-2011, 04:27 PM. Reason: Added spoiler tag

Originally posted by Critteranne View Post
    Darn silent movies... I am forced to actually watch the movie instead of half-watching and half-listening.
    My feelings exactly!

I'm OK with the ending which is similar to the one in the sound remake with the same lead. In a couple of other lodger movies, the boarder is actually the Ripper/killer so you have your choice if that's what you're looking for.

My belief is that I've seen them all with the exception of Room to Let. Who is the killer in that one?
    Last edited by sdreid; 10-09-2011, 05:17 PM.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
    X