Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• perhaps the Goulston street graffiti really said "the doves are not the men who will be blamed for nothing"

Comment

• great find. Thanks.
      Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
      - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

• London Kids Playing Cricket, 25 April 1930

I love this photo of poor children in London playing cricket in the street using a lamp post for their wicket.
        Resourcefulness at its finest.

Special thanks to Rob Clack for re-formatting the photo so I could post it.

Cheers,
        Archaic
        Attached Files

Comment

• Your welcome

Comment

• Wow, I'm looking at the details now that I can see them more clearly. Good job, Rob!

I love the two kids on the right who are sitting in a small wooden box almost in the line of fire... one is holding a stick. Maybe they're paddling their own canoe?

Archaic

Comment

• Cracking picture...genuinely brought a smile to my face...

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Hi Dave. Mine too.

Do you see the shopkeeper in his white apron who's stepped outside to watch the game? There's a wealth of detail in the photo.

I wish there was some information as to the photographer, but I found the photo a while ago in an old newspaper post and the only info it had was that it was taken in London on April 25, 1930.

I'd like to see more work from this photographer; he knew how to get right in the middle of things as if he was one of the kids.

Instead of lining the children up as interesting social specimens of the "Impoverished Urchin" variety he's right in there with them, celebrating their joy and their resourcefulness.

I guess what I like is that he truly captured "a moment in Time" - the ball is in the air - what happens next?

Best regards,
                Archaic

Comment

• There is graffiti in the background this picture (and so it probably was common).

Comment

• Brilliant Picture

Such community spirit !
                    Reminds me of when we all used to play runouts in our street. We used to play out all the time. Shame its not quite like this for kids now.......

Pat.............

Comment

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                      what happens next?

Raincoat man entering the shop gets a good British Shag?
                      allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                        Raincoat man entering the shop gets a good British Shag?
                        Or a cricket ball to the back of the head...
                        Last edited by MrBarnett; 11-10-2014, 01:40 PM.

Comment

• My copy of the Spitalfields Nippers book arrived ......it's stunning

Comment

• You've got to love the two kids standing in the slips and optimistically poised to take a catch. Does anyone know the exact location of this photograph? It would be great to do a reconstruction.
                            I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Hi Jason

That good? How much?

All the best

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X