No announcement yet.

Top 5 British invasion bands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robert - It was great hearing that Freddy & The Dreamers song again, after all these years. He actually had a lovely voice. Great personality.

As for that video - it was obviously recorded in the USA because I recognized the dark haired girl - Annette Funicello. She was in EVERYTHING back in the early sixties. I used to buy second hand American fan magazines and they were full of her, what she ate, what she liked....nothing ever detrimental. It was as if some big organization (Disney?) was promoting her and pushing her into every single thing they possibly could (even this Freddy & The Dreamers video!). Which goes to show it's not what you know but who you know.
    This is simply my opinion

Comment

I will need to look up this Manfred Man fellow, I am not familiar with him.

I spent the '60s paying more attention to television shows and stars than musicians and bands, but I definitely liked: Peter, Paul and Mary, The Mamas and the Papas, The Monkees (they had their own TV show), Donovan, Gilbert O'Sullivan, The Beatles (still like them), and Herman's Hermits.
      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
      ---------------
      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
      ---------------

Comment

You need to look up Manfred Mann? Where have you been?

Cliff Richard

Derrick & the Seniors

Alan Caldwell

Johnny Gentle

How could you go wrong?

Comment

Well, Scott, I grew up in California, and didn't start listening to the radio regularly till 1969 or 70.
          ---------------
          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
          ---------------

Comment

Hi Louisa

I'd never heard of this Funicello woman.

I remember seeing this musical on TV. This looks like it's posted by a Dreamer :

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
              I will need to look up this Manfred Man fellow, I am not familiar with him.

I spent the '60s paying more attention to television shows and stars than musicians and bands, but I definitely liked: Peter, Paul and Mary, The Mamas and the Papas, The Monkees (they had their own TV show), Donovan, Gilbert O'Sullivan, The Beatles (still like them), and Herman's Hermits.
              Not a fellow a band

mighty Quinn
              Ha ha said the clown
              Fox on the run
              My name is Jack
              The Vicar's daughter.

To name a few.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Comment

Robert - that is a truly bizarre offering by Freddy and the Dreamers, I've never heard it before.

The photos are interesting though.

Comment

I seem to remember it had some nice tunes. And there were characters like The Grim Gramophone and The Mighty Dictaphone.

Comment

It seems that if a band didn't have any good looking members then they had to have a gimick - something that made them stand out from the others.

Manfred Mann was the name of the man who formed the band of the same name - he was the one with the beatnik beard. That's the reason people remembered them in the beginning. I lost interest when Mike D'Abo took over the lead vocals from Paul Jones.

I used to fancy Dave Clark but since watching a documentary I can see I was barking up the wrong tree, so to speak. But he seems to be very nice.

The documentary was made in the USA and to watch it anyone would think that the Dave Clark Five were bigger than the Beatles! Yes, they had a lot of hits and were huge all over the world but nowhere near the Beatles in popularity.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                        Not a fellow a band

mighty Quinn
                        Ha ha said the clown
                        Fox on the run
                        My name is Jack
                        The Vicar's daughter.

To name a few.
                        Thanks for the edification, GUT. Only one in that list I've heard of is "Mighty Quinn", probably because it was written by Bob Dylan, and my big brother bought most of his albums. The proper title, per Wiki, is "Quinn the Esikmo (The Mighty Quinn").

Anyway, I checked out Manfred Mann, and they seem like nice lads. Their haircuts remind me of that sported by the title character in the "Austin Powers" comedy movies.
                        Last edited by Pcdunn; 09-18-2016, 09:42 AM. Reason: Correction
                        ---------------
                        ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post

Not a fellow a band

mighty Quinn
                          Ha ha said the clown
                          Fox on the run
                          My name is Jack
                          The Vicar's daughter.

To name a few.
                          54321-Hubble bubble!! Incredible band early on R&B

Comment

1. The Beatles
                            2. The Rolling Stones
                            3. The Who
                            4. The Kinks
                            5. Them

I also like at least a few songs from The Yardbirds, The Animals, The Hollies, The Zombies, and The Searchers.
                            Last edited by Lewis C; 08-09-2023, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X