Pop Star Mannerisms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop Star Mannerisms

Thought it might be fun to have a thread on this. I'll start it with a couple :

Gene Pitney - nodding :

Dave Berry - hand movements :

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I remember those artists and the songs!

I'd never noticed Gene Pitney's nodding before. If he hadn't been doing that he would have stood there totally still, looking like a dress maker's dummy.

The hand movements were Dave Berry's 'thing' although he did himself no favours by continually covering his face.

For what it's worth I always think Dave Berry has the look of Richard Ramirez, the Night Stalker. It's the cheekbones.

Dave Berry also recorded one of the saddest and most plaintive songs ever!

Check out 'The Crying Game'.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    This is simply my opinion

Comment

Yes that's one of my favourites too, Louisa.

I was going to post an example of Roy Wood (The Move) moving his lower jaw from side to side, but couldn't find a good example online.

Comment

How bout ole Elvis' Pelvis.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

George Harrison and his falling down shuffle move on stage in A Hard Days Night.

Comment

How about Donald "Buck" Dharma of Blue Oyster Cult and his chicken like head bobbing. Even he makes fun of that one.

Eric Clapton walking in place....I never noticed this one till I saw him live for the first time (have seen him 6 times...he does it everytime)

Joe Walsh crouches down real low, hits a chord and stands up rigidly straight.

This is a fun thread, I'm sure I will think of more, but those three just instantly came to mind.

Steadmund Brand
            "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Ray Charles - feet doing own thing :

From THE DICK CAVETT SHOW. September 18, 1972. The Raelettes are: Vernita Moss, Susaye Green, Mable John, Dorothy Berry, & Estella Yarbrough.

Comment

This is what happens when the singer's been paid the whole band's appearance money :

Animals - House of the Rising Sun Music VideoNr. 7 at the top 2000 from 2008Lyrics:There is a house in New Orleans They call the Rising Sun And it's been the...

Comment

Hi Robert

I know the song very well, I had the single in my collection. I didn't watch the entire video.

Does something happen while Eric is singing/miming?

I'm trying to figure out why you said "This is what happens when the singer's been paid the whole band's appearance money"

Those guitars were pretty good though, they didn't even need to be plugged in.

Comment

I always wished that Eric and Alan Price could have gotten along and stayed together longer....as much as I like "Eric Burdon and the Animals" I can only imagine what great music they would have produced post 1966...then again, we may not have gotten that amazing score for the film O Lucky Man! that Alan did.... Bryan "Chaz" Chandler was better off leaving.... I mean he not only gave us Jimi Hendrix.... but also SLADE!!!!

I have seen Eric many times in concert over the years, managed to talk to him a few times.... interesting cat...he also made one of the WORST films staring a rock star of all time... "The Comeback".. seriously... if you have not seen it.. DON'T....but the amazing thing about Eric is to this day his voice is amazing!!!

The Animals were underrated.. possibly because so much of what they did were cover songs... but hey, The Kinks early stuff was as well...they just evolved.. as the Animals did, but by that time.. it wasn't the Animals

makes me want to start a new list.....rate your top 5 British Invasion bands in order.... I will allow the 1st and 2nd waves (just so The Who can be included )

mine are
                    5- Herman's Hermits - laugh if you will...but great pop, plus.. they brought the WHO to America!!

4- Donovan- Usually not thought of in this respect, but I include him...

3- The Kinks- everything you could ever want from a band....pop sense, rebellion, angst, emotion and longevity... plus 2 brothers who would fight!

2- The Beatles- I know, seems almost sacrilegious to not have The Beatles #1... but it was a coin toss for me

1- The Who- All I can say is the Greatest Rock-n-Roll band of ALL TIME (sorry Stones)..

Anyone else care to comment or add a list?

Steadmund Brand
                    "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Hi Louisa

I was just joking that Eric must have been paid the band's money to distribute to them, which was why the two guitarists followed him around throughout the video.

Hi Stead

I'm not sure which bands made it in America. I can give you a list of the bands (that I can remember and in no particular order) who had a run of hit singles in the UK in the 60s and sometimes beyond :

Beatles and Stones
                      Kinks
                      Hollies
                      Herman's Hermits
                      Manfred Mann
                      Who
                      Yardbirds
                      Searchers
                      Gerry and the Pacemakers
                      Dave Clarke Five
                      Animals
                      Billy J Kramer and the Dakotas
                      Freddie and the Dreamers
                      and of course Cliff Richard and the Shadows

I dare say I've forgotten one or two.

Comment

Hello Robert...

All of those you listed did indeed make it here to one degree or another... but what were your 5 personal favorites?

Steadmund Brand

Comment

Hi Stead

I forgot The Move.

As far as I can recall, my favourite five at the time were Beatles (by a mile)
                          Stones
                          Hollies
                          Kinks
                          Manfred Man

Comment

When I was about 12 we were taken, by the school, to a local theatre near our school in London to be part of the audience at a recording of the Lenny the Lion Show. I don't know if you're old enough to remember that act?

Anyway, on the bill were the Tornadoes and Gerry and the Pacemakers. I remember all the girls (we were an all girls school) started screaming when Gerry and the Pacemakers came on. I didn't know what all the fuss was about.

The only reason I was interested in the Beatles was because I fancied Paul McCartney. I used to like their early music but went off them, big time, when they started doing all that psychedlic stuff.

It seems to me that most Beatles fans (these days) are men. I know loads of men who still like the Beatles but very few women.

Comment

Here in the States The Beatles are equally big with men and women, on the other hand I know very few women who like The Kinks or The Who.. The Stones are bigger with women it seems....but interesting....

most rock-n-roll was bigger with men here than women, until the 1980's.. then it was all women who fancied the "Hair" bands....

Steadmund Brand

Comment

Working...
                              X