Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Scene of the Crimes: Was Whitechapel really any worse than other areas of London? - by DrummondStreet 3 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: Diary Quirks - by Iconoclast 6 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: Anne Graham Interview - October 1995 - by DirectorDave 7 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: Anne Graham Interview - October 1995 - by Sam Flynn 7 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: Anne Graham Interview - October 1995 - by David Orsam 8 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: Mike Barrett Interview - September 1995 - by Sam Flynn 8 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: Too Sensible & Competent - (16 posts)
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (15 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - (6 posts)
Maybrick, James: Mike Barrett Interview - September 1995 - (6 posts)
Maybrick, James: Anne Graham Interview - October 1995 - (3 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (3 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries

Old 05-21-2012, 07:49 PM
Sergeant

Default Did Shakespeare write Shakespeare?

Are there any Shakespeare doubters here on casebook?

Personally, I believe Shakespeare wrote Shakespeare. It is an interesting subject however. Are there an Oxfordians, Marlowevians or Baconites on here? I'd like to read the opinions of other casebook posters.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:37 PM
Commisioner

Default Shakespeare

Hello Jason. I don't think Shakespeare wrote Shakespeare; instead, I believe that Shakespeare was written by a different bloke with the same name.

Seriously, I think Shakespeare wrote Shakespeare. He was a man who made a few historical blunders (eg, Agamemnon discussing Aristotle) but had an unparalleled insight into human nature.

Cheers.
LC
Old 05-21-2012, 08:58 PM
Inspector

Ignacious Donnelly started that nonsense. Shakespeare not only wrote Shakespeare, he read and spoke it as well.

Last edited by Scott Nelson : 05-21-2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: couldn't spell "Ignacious"
Old 05-21-2012, 09:11 PM
Casebook Supporter

Shakespeare wrote Shakespeare. But he did not write "Lady Don't Fall Backwards."
Old 05-21-2012, 09:28 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nelson View Post
Ignacious Donnelly started that nonsense. Shakespeare not only wrote Shakespeare, he read and spoke it as well.
It's the first I'd heard of Mr. Donnelly. Did he question the authorship before Delia Bacon? Or were they contemporaries?
Old 05-21-2012, 10:04 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Shackspear wrote Shakespeare...(like all from his era he couldn't spell his name consistently), but he wrote like a dream...shame that nearly all we know of his plays is shaded by the subsequent recollections of his friends from the Kings Players, Hemynges, Burbage and Cundell...to whom he left funds for memorial rings in his will (and Burbage died in 1619, about 4 years before the first edition was published)...

The trouble with Shakespeare's plays is that they're mostly rammed down your throat at an unduly early age, by schoolmasters who couldn't really give a damn, and accept only the traditional examiners interpretations of their meaning...I was very lucky in that at my grammar school the head of the English department was an enthusiast who'd published on the playwright and the Elizabethan theatre...even so I would contend that you will never really understand one of the bards plays until you've seen it performed on stage by an intelligently led company...

Superb stuff...

Dave
Old 05-21-2012, 10:13 PM
Inspector

Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, right. I forgot there was one of those philosopher types who did it before. Descartes, or someone. Delia Bacon? When did he/she live? Donnelly wrote his treatise in the 1880s.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:11 PM
Commisioner

Default Donnelly

Hello Scott. I saw one of the clippings about Donnelly. As I recall, he was once shouted down by a crowd. Also, the established scholars thought little of his thesis. I agree with them.

Cheers.
LC
Old 05-21-2012, 11:51 PM
Sergeant

Ignatius Donnelly was most definitely the crank's crank. Most cranks have just a single peculiar passion that they pursue relentlessly, though an occasional adept of the peculiar will have two such mental tics. Donnelly, however, had three such notions that he flogged.

First was Atlantis, which he wrote was somewhere in the North Atlantic. This was followed by his belief in Ragnorak, a comet I believe, that wrought all sorts of cataclysmic changes upon the Earth (and to which theory Velikovsky owes much). Finally, there was his great "Cypher Wheel" that "proved" Bacon, not Shakespeare, wrote the latter's great corpus.

Nonsense, all of it, especially about Shakespeare. Problem is, most Shakespeare deniers simply can't accept the random quality of genius.

Don.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:00 AM
Inspector

Here it is, sorry about the misinformation, but I'm a modern day engineer, not a renaissance man:

Donnelly. Ignatius, The Great Cryptogram: Francis Bacon's Cipher in the So-Called Shakesphere Plays: London, S. Low, Marston, Serale & Rivington, 1888, St. Claire Shores, Michigan, (USA), reissued by Scholarly Press, 1972

Last edited by Scott Nelson : 05-22-2012 at 03:04 AM.