No announcement yet.

Bridget Kelly born Chatham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That makes more sense and is also something I can Imagine Mary Kelly saying.Another nod towards Bridget possibly being MJK could be that she couldn't read or write and had to have her mother's letters read to her:
    MJK's landlord, John McCarthy said that she sometimes received letters from Ireland, he thought from her mother.

Comment

Bridget was due for release anyway, even if she didn't take up the recommended offer of emigration (a scheme also supported by the Rev. Merrick) .
      One of the last entries in her file is that she recieved a letter from her mother, read to her by a prison guard (this was shortly after her showing an interest in emigrating and asking for special letter paper to tell her mother of her decision) saying that a scheduled visit from her mother had been cancelled. Was her mother angry?
      Her father was dead, her mother thought she had emigrated?..

Even if she wasn't MJK, I find the whole story fascinating. We have a whole generation of Whitechapel and East End unfortunates imprisoned up to 1884 who were actively encourged to emigrate and escape the place. Saving their lives perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
        Her father was dead, her mother thought she had emigrated?..

Even if she wasn't MJK, I find the whole story fascinating. We have a whole generation of Whitechapel and East End unfortunates imprisoned up to 1884 who were actively encourged to emigrate and escape the place. Saving their lives perhaps?
        This is fascinating. But if Bridget became MJK, she would not have been receiving letters from her mother in 1888, right?

Comment

Originally posted by curious View Post
          This is fascinating. But if Bridget became MJK, she would not have been receiving letters from her mother in 1888, right?
          Right.

Comment

Taking into account that Bridget was supposedly married with one child, I've tried to locate her in the marriage records. I'm aware of the Bridget Kelly marriage to Edwin Senior in Wrexham in 1878. If I'm correct they appear to be in the 1881 census at 13, Princes Street, Newcastle under Lyme, Staffordshire. Bridget was born 1859 in Ballinasloe, Ireland and Edwin was born 1858, Newcastle under Lyme.
            Bridget Kelly born Chatham's family appear to be listed in the registration district of Holborn: White Street ( 1871 census) and 3 Elizabeth Place, Whitecross Street and 6 Little Arthur Street, Golden Lane. ( parent's addresses from Bridget's prison file). There is a Bridget Kelly marriage listed in Holborn 1879. At this stage I dont know who she married. I typed in the name of Davies and there is an Alfred Davies marriage in Holborn 1879.Might lead somewhere, might not. There is also a Bridget Kelly living in Carmarthen in the 1901 census, born 1862 but place of birth is blank.
            The A-Z street index for the Holborn district in 1881 throws up some interesting names, Adam and Eve court, Bleeding Hart Yard...

Comment

Originally posted by cats meat man View Post
              Taking into account that Bridget was supposedly married with one child, I've tried to locate her in the marriage records. I'm aware of the Bridget Kelly marriage to Edwin Senior in Wrexham in 1878. If I'm correct they appear to be in the 1881 census at 13, Princes Street, Newcastle under Lyme, Staffordshire. Bridget was born 1859 in Ballinasloe, Ireland and Edwin was born 1858, Newcastle under Lyme.
              Bridget Kelly born Chatham's family appear to be listed in the registration district of Holborn: White Street ( 1871 census) and 3 Elizabeth Place, Whitecross Street and 6 Little Arthur Street, Golden Lane. ( parent's addresses from Bridget's prison file). There is a Bridget Kelly marriage listed in Holborn 1879. At this stage I dont know who she married. I typed in the name of Davies and there is an Alfred Davies marriage in Holborn 1879.Might lead somewhere, might not. There is also a Bridget Kelly living in Carmarthen in the 1901 census, born 1862 but place of birth is blank.
              The A-Z street index for the Holborn district in 1881 throws up some interesting names, Adam and Eve court, Bleeding Hart Yard...
              That's right about Brymbo Mary's sister Bridget and the Wrexham marriage to Edwin Senior, CMM. I also think they are the ones living in Newcastle in 1881.
              I hope no one thought I was connecting these two very obviously different individuals,both named Bridget Kelly?

Anyway, back to this Bridget. I haven't looked for a marriage yet so thanks for the one you have located.
              It looks like that Bridget Kelly married either Alfred Knight or Michael O'Dea.We know in 81 she was still using her maiden name so that won't give us a clue.

Name: KELLY, Bridget
              Registration district: Holborn
              County: London
              Year of registration: 1879
              Quarter of registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
              Spouse's last name: Not available before 1912
              Volume no: 1B
              Page no: 763
              MarriageFinder: Bridget Kelly married one of the following people:

KNIGHT, Alfred
              O'DEA, Michael
              MULLY, Sarah Ann

Maybe it might be easier to look for Michael O'Dea or Alfred Knight in Holborn (or anywhere) in 1881?
              Last edited by Debra A; 04-27-2012, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Alfred Davies married one of these two ladies:

Name: DAVIES, Alfred
                Registration district: Holborn
                County: London
                Year of registration: 1879
                Quarter of registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
                Spouse's last name: Not available before 1912
                Volume no: 1B
                Page no: 1031
                MarriageFinder: Alfred Davies married one of the following people:

HUNT, Elizabeth
                STONEHUSE, Evangeline

MONDAY, Russell Richard

Comment

Thank you Debra. I tell you what, I dont like Mondays.
                  A quick search has revealed a Bridget Knight in the 1881 census, age 24, born 1857, relationship to head, wife-7 Blakes Road, Camberwell, St George, Surrey.

Comment

Boston Daily Globe March 27,1902

With the frizzled fiction In the doctors waiting Peter and Bridget Kelly Supposed Mrs Kelly Dead Before the Prisoner Was Question of Value in the of tho Jane Toppans parentage has cost tho government officers more time and trouble than any other feature of the since State Detective Whitney began to look into her career in Middlesex county last before the members of the Davis family died at One of the first questions asked by the commission of alienists appointed to ex amine the nurse now imprisoned In the Barnstable county was whether was any trace of insanity In her TUe attorney was not able to answer this question because his officers could not find out who were the parents of Jane called Honora Kelly at the Boston infant For weeks Capt and detective Letteney endeavored to establish the birth of Honora Kelly and determine who her father and mother They exhausted every source of even found per sons who knew the supposed father and mother of Miss but yet could not obtain any positive evidence on this Peter Kelly is tho man who placed now and Honora Kelly in the infant asylum about when both were little more than Bridget was taken by a family named Waterman to and she lived there until she some years Honora was adopted by Mrs Toppan of nnd thereafter became known as Jane Two other supposed children of Peter Kelly are who was married In In to a man named and is now living in and now confined in tho Insane The Peter Kelly was born in and crane to when a very young In according to the city Peter Kelly and Bridget also of but who was born In were at the They went to live at 10G North In this Peter Kelly was not a very sober nor Industrious He drank to ex ancl his wife was obliged to taise boarders to support her One of her boarders has been found by detectives and This man says distinctly that he lived with the Kellys during the last few years of Mrs Kellys ife Mr and Mrs Peter the boarder only two The elder was named Ellen and the younger The boarder acted as godfather for the daughter According to the Mrs Kelly died in 10 years after her of and the death of Mrs Kolly is properly At that time the godfather of the youngor daughter says he only knew of the two Ellen and Peter according to the lived a rather dissolute life after his wifes Several years after the death of Mrs Peter Kelly left two little girls at the infant giving their names daughter of Peter Kelly nnd his but as Miss Toppan is said to be no more than 48 or 44 years the ques tion Is whether she was not born sinco the year that Mrs Kelly If she is the daughter of Peter Kelly there Is nothing so far to show that she Inherited any mental weakness from except what might have como through his personal It has been Impossible to obtain tiny trace of Peter Kellys or those of Bridget Finn In The rela tives of remained In where possibly much that would Interest the commission of alienists now examining Miss Toppan may be The Investigation by Dr Dr and Dr Jelly as to responsibility of Miss Toppan may ho satisfactorily it Is without the necessity of sending to Ire land for the family history of tho Kel lys or the IN QUARTERLY Public Institutions

Comment

That's easy for you to say, CMM.

Goodlybilode

Comment

Hello Robert. It's like playing a Beatles record backwards. If you tilt your head slightly and look at it through a mirror, it all makes sense.

Comment

Ah, I understand, CMM : Robert Paul is dead.

Comment

This is where Bridget Kelly is recorded as a prisoner in the 1881 census.

Comment

From the full text of,'Work Among The Fallen As Seen In The Prison Cell: Rev G P Merrick-Millbank Prison:
                              There is hardly an event of importance in
                              public or social life which does not send a ripple
                              over the surface of our existence at Millbank. It
                              is astonishing how much one learns there of what
                              is taking place in the outside world. It is not too
                              much to say that the revelations of a Metropolitan
                              prison such as ours would be anything but an
                              incomplete history of the events of our time.
                              The assembling and breaking up of Parliament,
                              elections of all kinds, trade improvement and
                              depression, Derby day, the influenza — not to speak
                              of dock, police, and other strikes — all affect Us in
                              an unmistakable and remarkable manner. For
                              instance, not many years ago an excursion
                              steamer, the " Princess Alice," was run into and
                              sunk by an out-going x;ollier as she was coming
                              up the River Thames. As you may remember,
                              the catastrophe was an appalling one, upwards
                              of seven hundred people returning home from a
                              pleasure trip being drowned. For several weeks

after the dreadful event we were receiving almost
                              daily cases, who had gone down to Woolwich,
                              and other places near the scene of the disaster, in
                              order to identify the bodies of their dead relatives^
                              and who had, through drink and other causes, got
                              into the hands of the police.

Again, during the long depression to which
                              trade was subject, our admissions were, com-
                              paratively speaking, low ; but, during the last
                              year or more, trade has improved, and so has the
                              number of our inmates,- if we can call that im-
                              provement. Though we have three miles of
                              prison cells, we can hardly find accommodation for
                              the men and women^ — sometimes as many as a
                              hundred — who flock to us every night. Within
                              the last fortnight we have been sending away
                              women to other prisons, so that we may have
                              cellular room for those who still are coming.

Again, it may perhaps surprise you to learn
                              that five out of the poor women who were the
                              victims of the Whitechapel murderer, a couple of
                              years ago, had been in the Millbank Prison, and
                              that one of them was released from the place and
                              received a gift of clothes from me within twenty-
                              four hours of her murder. But you will be doubt-

less more astonished to know that the last murder
                              was the indirect cause of no less than four women
                              coming to prison. Three of these cases were
                              acquaintances and near neighbours of the poor
                              murdered girl. They saw all the horrors which
                              were disclosed when the room where the dead
                              woman lay was entered, and what with their
                              " upset feelings," as they said, and their being
                              called upon in public-houses to narrate what they
                              had seen, their subsequent presence at Millbank
                              through drink was a result simply inevitable.

Comment

Indeed

Discussion of other or multiple victims, or any threads that wouldn't fit under one specific victim forum.

Comment

Working...
                                X