Colin Wilson: Jack the Ripper Conference in Ipswich, 1996

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colin Wilson: Jack the Ripper Conference in Ipswich, 1996

We are very pleased to bring to you author Colin Wilson's talk at the first ever Jack the Ripper Conference, held in Ipswich 12-14 April, 1996. This 22 year old audience recording was rescued from a second hand bookshop by Mark Ripper and we are grateful to Mark for saving this piece of Ripperology history so that we may share it with you.

Originally recorded on a 120 minute long cassette tape- I left the tape flip around the 55 minute mark intact- and sometime later transferred to CD, this specific recording is believed to be from the collection of the late Jeremy Beadle. It is beginning to show its age, but the historical value of the talk outweighs the deteriorating quality of the audio. I applied noise reduction to eliminate a significant amount of white-noise hiss and amplified the vocals.
    After so many years, the recording is in a poor state, but to my ears still listenable.

Available now to stream or download at the following link:

Also in iTunes, TuneIn Radio, MixCloud and any old podcast app you can find.

Thank you again to Mark Ripper!

And thanks for listening,

JM
    Last edited by jmenges; 06-16-2018, 03:32 PM.

Hi All,

Colin Wilson was a serial believer.

He agreed with each and every theory as it came along.

Regards,

Simon
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

It certainly seems that way, Simon.

JM

Comment

Does anyone know where in Ipswich the first conference was held? It would be ironic if it were in The Great White Horse - that's where John Harrison, of Harrison, Barber fame, ended up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	667443

Comment

It wasn't an old building and it wasn't in the town centre but I can't remember the name of it now .
          More of a typical modern hotel ,one level , lots of parking space etc
          I do remember going to burger king before checking in though 😀
          You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

Originally posted by packers stem View Post
            It wasn't an old building and it wasn't in the town centre but I can't remember the name of it now .
            More of a typical modern hotel ,one level , lots of parking space etc
            I do remember going to burger king before checking in though ��
            Did your burger have a bit of a horsey flavour?
            Last edited by MrBarnett; 06-17-2018, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
              Did your burger have a bit of a horsey flavour?
              I've never knowingly eaten horse to have a comparison lol
              You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                Colin Wilson was a serial believer.
                My impression, too, Simon. He was somewhat credulous - to put it mildly - when it came to the occult and parapsychology, and perhaps this tendency infected his thinking about the Ripper case.

Still, he was never less than interesting, so many thanks to Mark Ripper and Jon Menges for making this recording available.
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hi,
                  Colin was a collector of theory's and stored them.
                  I had a correspondence with him back in 1975, he was generous with his time, and as well as the letters I received which I still have somewhere, he sent me a new publication Ripper book , as well.
                  He was very enthusiastic about the case, and relished new ideas.
                  I will find time to listen later.
                  Regards Richard.

Comment

It was interesting to hear this. I have a friend who was an original member of the Cloak And Dagger Club who has this talk on video. He's also got a lot of video camera footage of other events stashed away somewhere.

Comment

Thanks Herlock.
                      I am aware that a video of his talk and others from the late 90s and early 00s have circulated amongst collectors. Perhaps one day I'll be able to see those, or at least get a rip of the audio of a few of them.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
                        Thanks Herlock.
                        I am aware that a video of his talk and others from the late 90s and early 00s have circulated amongst collectors. Perhaps one day I'll be able to see those, or at least get a rip of the audio of a few of them.

JM
                        There must be loads of great stuff out there JM

Comment

Hi,
                          To be truthful I could not understand a word of what he was saying, the audio is very bad.
                          Regards Richard.

Comment

Hi Richard,

I transcribed the talk in full and it appears in the latest issue of Ripperologist.

All the best,

JM

Comment

Working...
                            X