One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tom Mitchell View Post

Rather than asking what is the Diary’s biggest ‘fault’ (a recent thread) ...

Sixteen years have passed since first it came to light. Experts remain divided on its authenticity. The 13 year old who wrote this diary one wet weekend probably had no idea that he or she would probably never again in their lifetime write such a spectacularly complex work, and one so complex and so brilliant that it would be called both infantile and genius in equal measure.

Ten years ago The Greatest Thread of All was gifted to the weird world of Ripperology and over the decade which has followed it has undoubtedly shown itself to be the defining thread for the Maybrick sage. As we approach its first millionth view, I feel it is incumbent upon me to say a few words.

To Michael Barrett (God rest your soul) and Anne Graham, thank you for bringing the journal to us but - next time - could you be a bit less obscure? Your choice of villain was outstanding – outstandingly surreal and utterly obtuse. Why on God’s good earth did you decide that an otherwise unremarkable middle class cotton merchant from Liverpool should be the perpetrator of the Whitechapel crimes when we all can see that Liverpool wasn’t a Real option in this particular league? Did his inadvertent fame through the questionable nature of his death not make him even less of a candidate for them? From the very start you were willing to fly in the face of established protocol, leaving fools such as I tilting at Windows 7-10.

You must have laughed out loud when you discovered that Florence Maybrick’s trial was attended by a friend of the viper Alice Yapp and that that friend just happened to be one of Anne’s relations (through marriage).

You must have squealed like a wee snorting pair of piglets when you discovered that Florence left gaol in 1904 and took the surname ‘Graham’. Shurely shum mishtake?

But the snorting of piglets in the feeding trough must have gone into over-drive when the two of you uncovered so many other implausible coincidences and conveniences. Chief, for me, amongst these, include:

1) A Whitechapel in both Liverpool and London
    2) V marks on Catharine Eddowes (‘left my mark’)
    3) The FM on the wall of MK’s room
    4) Florence’s comment in a letter to Brierley (‘The tale he told me …’)
    5) The remarkable ‘photofit’ of Oct 6 which looked so much like Maybrick
    6) The ‘Who is Jim?’ newspaper article (though the whole article was less helpful, thank you m'Lord!)
    7) Maybrick’s established addiction to arsenic
    8) Maybrick’s known presence in Whitechapel
    9) The spelling of Jack from Maybrick’s name
    10) The convenience of Juwes appearing much like James (and don’t start me on Thomas, William, Michael, Edwin, and Florence!)
    11) The Diego Laurenz letter
    12) The extravagant swirl at the end of a sentence (see Feldman, ‘The Final Chapter’)

You must have popped the bubbly time and time again (before Mike started to piss it up a wall every night) when each month went past and your evil genius was not unmasked, even when Mikey gave away the very process for the crime which even the aristocracy are still seeking vainly to validate two decades later? Without a shadow of a doubt, your hoax has truly fooled the world, and we should mark its possibility at this very auspicious time, if hoax it ultimately proves to be.

And to James Maybrick, if this infernal journal ever proves finally that you were Jack the Spratt McVitie, hang your head in shame and rot in Hell you piece of scum for whom seven innocent, brutalised lives had to be sacrificed because you were aging and hypocritical and a truly sad example of the human species. Far better that you’d gone to the top shelf of WH Smith and bashed a few out than embark on your foul ‘campaign’. In that event - that Maybrick it was - then that would be enough said on the matter.

In the last ten years, there has been much said on the matter, and I for one have cherished most moments. Adversaries have come and gone - some very sadly so - but they are remembered still even if the keyboard may now also be still.

Ladies, gentlemen, m’Lord, and all others who lurk amongst the dark, foggy alleyways of this digital Whitechapel, please crack open the Brown Ale (it’s never too early, and it's never too late to lift a glass to a merciful God which keeps the bannerboys in the Chumpionship for at least one more season), refill your glasses, be upstanding, and join with me in toasting “The Next Glorious Ten Years on The Greatest Thread of All”!
    Iconoclast
    Materials: HistoryvsMaybrick – Dropbox

Comment

• Originally posted by Iconoclast View Post
      Why on God’s good earth did you decide that an otherwise unremarkable middle class cotton merchant from Liverpool should be the perpetrator of the Whitechapel crimes when we all can see that Liverpool wasn’t a Real option in this particular league?...…

But the snorting of piglets in the feeding trough must have gone into over-drive when the two of you uncovered so many other implausible coincidences and conveniences. Chief, for me, amongst these, include:

1) A Whitechapel in both Liverpool and London
      I suppose it falls to me to burst this particular bubble.

Iconoclast and "Tom Mitchell" are presumably unaware of the contents of Peter Underwood's 1987 book, "Jack the Ripper: One Hundred Years of Mystery". For it is all set out in there, on pages 103-104, which, for the benefit of our sadly misguided friend(s), I reproduce below:

"Several of the alleged Ripper's letters were posted in Liverpool, including a letter received on 19 September reading 'Beware, I shall be at work on the 1st and 2nd Inst in Minories at twelve midnight, and I give the authorities a chance but there is never a policeman near when I am at work. Yours Jack the Ripper'. A second letter, posted in Liverpool and giving the address as 'Prince William Street,' stated: 'What fools the police are. I even give them the name of the street where I am living.' This message is not as straightforward as may at first appear. Is the writer referring to his previous address at the top of the letter he is writing or is he referring to his previous letter, when he mentioned Minories? There is no Prince William Street in Liverpool but John Morrison (whom we have met with his new theory as to the identity of Jack the Ripper) has pointed out to me that opposite St George's Hall (and Lime Street) is 'Whitechapel' and off Whitechapel there are both Prince Street and William Street. It could be that the writer (possibly the murderer James Kelly, who was known to have lived in Lime Street) posted the letter at Whitechapel General Post Office hoping that the letter would be franked 'Whitechapel' but it was in fact franked 'Central'"

Just to be clear, the 'Whitechapel General Post Office' being referred to there was the post office in Whitechapel, Liverpool.

Underwood had already devoted nine pages in his book (pp.77-85) to Morrison's theory which, according to Underwood, was that "James Kelly killed his wife for the sake of his lover, Mary Kelly, when he lived in Liverpool." He also says that, according to Morrison, the name 'Jack the Ripper' "only became public knowledge on 2 October 1888, in a letter posted from Liverpool, James Kelly's home town."

As Iconcolast is no doubt aware, Underwood's 1987 book is one of those identified by Melvin Harris as a source book used heavily by the forgers of the Diary.

So the Liverpool/London, Whitechapel/Whitechapel, connection had already been made in a published book a full five years before the Diary emerged.

Another one bites the dust!

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post

So the Liverpool/London, Whitechapel/Whitechapel, connection had already been made in a published book a full five years before the Diary emerged.

Another one bites the dust!
        And cheers to you too, m'Lord! Hic!

So you think it might all have been motivated by the old cold , huh?

I'm going to have to give this some thought, you know ...
        Iconoclast

Comment

I thank you all!
          Iconoclast

Comment

I thank you all!
            It's Tom Mitchell's thread though. Why are you thanking us?

Comment

Not bad for a ten year old thread, I suppose.
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Congratulations to the thread, 1,000,000 views is not to be sniffed at....even though we all know 900k of them was caz.
                My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                  It's Tom Mitchell's thread though. Why are you thanking us?

He's back in chokey doing a ten stretch with Soothsayer, Gladiator, etc..

Will they ever learn the error of their ways?

Iconoclast

Comment

• Is Peter Wood in any of this, or is he gone forever?

Comment

• Would i be out of line in asking why the guy that began the thread is suspended?

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                        Would i be out of line in asking why the guy that began the thread is suspended?
                        Well, you know what they say? "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"

Iconoclast

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                          Would i be out of line in asking why the guy that began the thread is suspended?
                          His last post was 2012,so looks like it was a long time back.
                          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                            His last post was 2012,so looks like it was a long time back.
                            I'm starting to think that Lord Orsam is even more perspicacious than first suspected.

Iconoclast

Comment

I'm starting to think that Lord Orsam is even more perspicacious than first suspected.

10,400 views since we hit the million the other day. Most threads would die for that alone over their lifetime and still get nowhere near!

And they say it isn't The Greatest Thread of All!

I say nay, sir - 'tis indeed the very cheeky wee dab!

Ike
                              Iconoclast

Comment

• You've got a bit of a way to go before you overtake the A6 Thread at something over 1,180,000 views. But of course we on the A6 deal with facts, not common or garden speculation.............................

Graham
                                We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Working...
                                X