Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Woffinden has died

Bob Woffinden died on 1st May 2018.

I understand that he had had cancer for some time.

His name will always be linked to the A6 murder story.

RIP Bob.
    My condolences to his family.

Derrick

Well, that's a shame and a surprise, as I had no idea he was ill.

Apart from Hanratty, he espoused other causes he saw as miscarriages of justice, and was instrumental in reversing the guilty verdict of Barry George, wrongfully accused of the murder of Jill Dando. He also supported Sion Jenkins in the case of the murder of his foster-daughter Billie-Jo, but I believe that although Sion Jenkins was released, Woffinden later had second thoughts.

A non-murder case he was involved in investigating was the alleged cheating on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?

A revised edition of his book Hanratty - The Final Verdict was widely anticipated.

RIP.

Graham
    We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
      He also supported Sion Jenkins in the case of the murder of his foster-daughter Billie-Jo, but I believe that although Sion Jenkins was released, Woffinden later had second thoughts.
      As well he should. Jenkins is guilty as sin.

Comment

...Woffinden later had second thoughts...

Did he?

I know he changed his view of Jeremy Bamber's innocence in light of an evidence review he conducted with Richard Webster.

Comment

Ahhhhh.....now you mention it, maybe it was the Bamber Case I read about some time ago, concerning which Bob changed his mind after publication of his book. The Jenkins case was, I am certain, a miscarriage of justice.

I wonder if Bob had actually done any new research re: the A6?

Graham
          Last edited by Graham; 05-18-2018, 09:14 AM.
          We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

That is sad news. Bob was a good writer and reporter with firm convictions in the justice of the many causes he championed. He will be missed. RIP

Comment

Sad news.

RIP
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Woffinden believed in justice.

So, in my opinion, do all of the contributors on this site, whether for or against Hanratty.

We are scrutinising justice in our land, even although the events happened 56 years ago. That is democracy in action. That is active citizenship. That is a healthy legacy to pass on to our grandchildren.

Comment

Mention in the obituaries that he is survived by a son, Eddie, reminds me of the following comment from poster 'julie q' who attended the Appeal:

"It is my recollection that only when junior counsel Henry Blaxland assumed lead role for some aspects of the appeal was it delivered with the passion we had expected.
                  He also appeared to have a greater grasp of the details of the case, the fact that Bob Woffinden's son was a trainee barrister under his tutelage may have helped in this respect."

Comment

Eddie Woffinden:

He did study law back in the early 2000's but seems to have given all that up!

Comment

Well, that's a shame and a surprise, as I had no idea he was ill.

Apart from Hanratty, he espoused other causes he saw as miscarriages of justice, and was instrumental in reversing the guilty verdict of Barry George, wrongfully accused of the murder of Jill Dando. He also supported Sion Jenkins in the case of the murder of his foster-daughter Billie-Jo, but I believe that although Sion Jenkins was released, Woffinden later had second thoughts.

A non-murder case he was involved in investigating was the alleged cheating on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?

A revised edition of his book Hanratty - The Final Verdict was widely anticipated.

RIP.

Graham
                      Yes very, very sorry to hear about Bob. Top man and first rate journalist. I believe his book Hanratty, The Final Verdict to be the best book ever written on miscarriages of justice. Incidentally does anyone know if Michael Hanratty is still with us? I used to speak to him on the phone but sadly lost his number.

Tony.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony View Post
                        Yes very, very sorry to hear about Bob. Top man and first rate journalist. I believe his book Hanratty, The Final Verdict to be the best book ever written on miscarriages of justice. Incidentally does anyone know if Michael Hanratty is still with us? I used to speak to him on the phone but sadly lost his number.

Tony.
                        That was in between making up court transcripts, was it?

OneRound

Comment

...I used to speak to him on the phone but sadly lost his number...

Good to see you back Tony.

Send me a PM and I'll give you his mobile and email.

ATB
                          Del

Comment

Tony.
                            Hi Tony,
                            Michael and his wife Maureen attended the very sad occasion of Bob's funeral last month. I spoke with Michael just a few days ago and he told me that Bob apparently had been working fairly recently on an update to his excellent 1997 book.
                            "A body of men, HOLDING THEMSELVES ACCOUNTABLE TO NOBODY, ought not to be trusted by anybody." --Thomas Paine ["Rights of Man"]

"Justice is an ideal which transcends the expedience of the State, or the sensitivities of Government officials, or private individuals. IT HAS TO BE PURSUED WHATEVER THE COST IN PEACE OF MIND TO THOSE CONCERNED." --'Justice of the Peace' [July 12th 1975]

Comment

Originally posted by Sherlock Houses View Post
                              Hi Tony,
                              Michael and his wife Maureen attended the very sad occasion of Bob's funeral last month. I spoke with Michael just a few days ago and he told me that Bob apparently had been working fairly recently on an update to his excellent 1997 book.
                              Hi SH . As time goes by, hopefully there is someone who had been close to Bob,
                              may be capable enough to continue on with his project, and complete his endeavours of a follow up book. A book I might add held as mere fantasy, by the doubters of Hanratty’s innocence.

Comment

Working...
                              X