Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
A6 Murders: scan of Hanratty statement re Rhyl alibi - by Spitfire 3 hours ago.
Doctors and Coroners: Eddowes' gut cut - by Joshua Rogan 4 hours ago.
Doctors and Coroners: Eddowes' gut cut - by Joshua Rogan 4 hours ago.
Doctors and Coroners: Eddowes' gut cut - by Wickerman 4 hours ago.
Doctors and Coroners: Eddowes' gut cut - by Sam Flynn 5 hours ago.
Doctors and Coroners: Eddowes' gut cut - by Joshua Rogan 5 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: Diary Handwriting - (25 posts)
Doctors and Coroners: Eddowes' gut cut - (15 posts)
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (10 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Dennis Nilsen - (6 posts)
A6 Murders: scan of Hanratty statement re Rhyl alibi - (5 posts)
Maybrick, James: Melvin Harris and his Examination of the Diary - (3 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > General Suspect Discussion

Old 05-17-2018, 04:29 AM
Chief Inspector

My money would definitely be on Fred Bloggs, a Stepney market trader. Before I get people thinking that I’ve discovered a new suspect of course I mean that it’s more than likely that he hasn’t been named yet and he’s unlikely ever to be. It’s not impossible though.

Of the named suspects I’d favour Druitt (mainly because there’s an air of mystery surrounding him which has interested me since I first became interested in JTR) but also because he was mentioned at the time (or just after) and fits my personal ‘type’ for the killer.

Kosminski or some variant of the insane Polish (or other nationality) Jew (for no particular religious reason.)

Or Bury. An actually knife murderer who was around at the time and ‘of interest.’

I don’t think that Jack killed for any other reasons than either a hatred of women/prostitutes, a sexual urge to kill and mutilate women/prostitutes, a desire to repeatedly ‘kill’ a hated figure from his life or a belief that he had some king of ‘mission’ (possibly religious) to kill prostitutes.

I agree that he was probably either a local or someone with knowledge of the area (I might even favour the latter as a local might have easily been recognised near to the scene. One of my main objections to Barnett or Hutchinson for example although i dont totally discount either.)

I go for the Canonical five but accept the possibilty of Tabram and (much less so) Mackenzie. Also the possibility of Stride being a no.

I slightly favour the graffito being written by Jack but wouldn’t bet on it.

I think that with the known unreliability of visual identification I don’t think that we can lend too much weight to descriptions of ‘Jack.’

I don’t believe in conspiracies but........ I accept the ‘possibility’ that the police might have been convinced to keep the killers name hidden because of family ‘connections.’ (Druitt?)

I’m unsure on the question of medical knowledge but favour at least some anatomical knowledge.

I don’t think that Jack and The Torso Killer we’re one and the same but I could be wrong.

I don’t think that Jack wrote letters but if he wrote any I’d favour the ‘From Hell’ just because of the kidney.

And all that will probably change tomorrow

Herlock

"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:17 AM
Superintendent

Hi
In my opinion the killer was known to Mary Kelly, and may well have been the person McCarthy said called on Millers court to see her, and was turned away by the landlord .
Pure hearsay, but as this murder had all the hallmarks of the others, it is most likely he was The Ripper.
Regards Richard,
Old 05-17-2018, 06:06 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardnunweek View Post
Hi
In my opinion the killer was known to Mary Kelly, and may well have been the person McCarthy said called on Millers court to see her, and was turned away by the landlord .
Pure hearsay, but as this murder had all the hallmarks of the others, it is most likely he was The Ripper.
Regards Richard,
Hi Richard
Long time no hear! I agree that Mary most likely knew her killer. who is this person that was turned away? please elaborate.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 05-17-2018, 10:50 AM
Detective

Druitt was always my favourite, not because I thought he was Jack, but because of the cricket.
I listened to a rippercast episode citing his "Form had dropped off" during the ripper months...but checked cricinfo and found it wasn't too shabby..
He took a 5 for in a game against Bournemouth and was joint highest bat...albeit in a small total..
and took a 3 for against the Christopherson brothers as they were bowled out for 90 odd...his actual figures I could not find...but it was going to be at least 3 for 30 or 40
Would love to know what his form was like before...it "Dropped off"

Last edited by andy1867 : 05-17-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:49 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Beaver View Post
I've been mulling over the suspects list for a while and only WH Bury and George Hutchison (British) stand out as being worth further investigation at this point in time in terms of being able to see a good photo of both of them.
I still believe that the Ripper was local and not necessary a true local - but that he lived and worked in the Whitechapel area and was British (English/Scottish/Irish/Welsh). I do not think he was Jewish or American.
Yep Bury is a at the top of the suspect list as far as I'm concerned. George Hutchinson less so. But I would still place him at number 2.
Old Yesterday, 04:06 AM
Superintendent

Hi Abby.
The tale comes from Fiona Kendal , great granddaughter of McCarthy, she was on the boards for a limited time many years ago now.
She claimed that shortly before Kelly was murdered , a man called at the court, and enquired about her, stating that she had something of his, and he wanted it back.
He apparently was adamant he wanted to see her, and because of this the landlord removed him in what was described as 'In true McCarthy fashion''.
Fiona claims that her great grandfather, knew who the Killer was, and his motive, this was shared down through generations, and Fiona herself knew.
Despite many of the boards enquiring more, she left, and refused to answer any questions.
This was because of the ''Put up , or shut up'' , response ..
Regards Richard.
Old Yesterday, 04:40 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Hi Richard,

from what I can gather the music-hall artiste you refer to was Maire Kendall and was married into the McCarthy family via a musician called Stephen McCarthy who was the son of music-hall performer John McCarthy. I have a very, very vague memory of reading somewhere that the McCarthy who owned Miller's Court had some kind of show-business background. Maire was the grandmother of film actress Kay Kendall. So far I've not found a Fiona Kendall. Do you have any more information on this subject?

I have an even vaguer memory of this being discussed here ages ago, probably on the pre-crash boards. Fascinating, though.

Graham
Old Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Hi Richard,

from what I can gather the music-hall artiste you refer to was Maire Kendall and was married into the McCarthy family via a musician called Stephen McCarthy who was the son of music-hall performer John McCarthy. I have a very, very vague memory of reading somewhere that the McCarthy who owned Miller's Court had some kind of show-business background. Maire was the grandmother of film actress Kay Kendall. So far I've not found a Fiona Kendall. Do you have any more information on this subject?

I have an even vaguer memory of this being discussed here ages ago, probably on the pre-crash boards. Fascinating, though.

Graham
Just found this Graham. Apparently there was actually a framed photograph of McCarthy. I can’t recall if this has appeared in any books though?

http://www.casebook.org/witnesses/w/John_McCarthy.html

Herlock

Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM
Chief Inspector

I’ve recently been listening to a few Ripper podcasts and on one of them, I can’t recall which, it was mentioned that there existed a photograph of Martha Tabram alive. Is this true and if so where is it?

Herlock

Old Yesterday, 08:04 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Thanks for that, HS. I can only suggest that Fiona Kendall was a direct descendant of Marie Kendall (sorry, I used the Irish spelling Maire in my last post!).

I guess that the chances are very much that John McCarthy did at some point set eyes on Mary Kelly's murderer. I do recall reading (not on these boards) the Canadian theory that he was actually the Ripper, but it didn't sit with me. All very interesting, though.

Graham