Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Maybrick, James: Anne Graham Interview - October 1995 - by Sam Flynn 4 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: Anne Graham Interview - October 1995 - by David Orsam 24 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: Mike Barrett Interview - September 1995 - by Sam Flynn 42 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: A Very Inky Question - by Sam Flynn 51 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: A Very Inky Question - by David Orsam 57 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by David Orsam 1 hour and 10 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: Too Sensible & Competent - (16 posts)
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (15 posts)
Maybrick, James: Mike Barrett Interview - September 1995 - (10 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - (7 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (3 posts)
Doctors and Coroners: Eddowes' gut cut - (3 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Old 04-21-2018, 03:30 AM
Casebook Supporter

What, pray, is an "off-instance"?

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 03:36 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
What, pray, is an "off-instance"?
It is when you are "off" something. Like "off my game". Slapping Florrie (if slap her he did) was simply one 'off' instance that would never be repeated.

You might not like it, Sam, but someone heroic has to put it out there for the nations to consider otherwise Lord Orsam will take over the world with his Very Large Encyclopaedia. It's like a civic duty.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:40 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
It is when you are "off" something. Like "off my game". Slapping Florrie (if slap her he did) was simply one 'off' instance that would never be repeated.
But you've just made that up. Very amusing of course but a fiction. There is no such thing as an "off instance".
Old 04-21-2018, 03:40 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
Bone black had a number of uses in the 19th century, medicinal and otherwise. There is no record that the real Maybrick used or possessed an arsenic antidote and the Maybrick of the diary makes no reference to using it. And why would he? He was an arsenic addict so surely an antidote is that last thing he would have wanted or needed. In his journal he makes no mention of being poisoned so why did he sprinkle an antidote over the guardbook? It really makes no sense.
Okay, you can own that one, I'll grant you.

Quote:
While blind faith is always impressive, there is unfortunately no way that James Maybrick could ever have used the expression "one off instance" in his lifetime. Consequently he cannot possibly have written the Diary.
Looketh before ye leapeth, sayeth Ecclesiastes. Possibly.

I think my extraordinary previous post (not the one to Sam, obviously) has probably left you reeling from the alcoholic excesses of my brilliant insight?

Last edited by Iconoclast : 04-21-2018 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Too many 'brilliants' in one sentence - even for me!
Old 04-21-2018, 03:43 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
I think my brilliant previous post (not the one to Sam, obviously) has probably left you reeling from the alcoholic excesses of my brilliant insight?
I can honestly say it didn't.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:47 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
I can honestly say it didn't.
Could you try harder maybe?
Old 04-21-2018, 01:53 PM
Chief Inspector

Gents, i have no medical knowledge whatsoever and so im only asking this question for my own information. Regarding bone black as an antidote. If Maybrick used arsenic might he not have kept an antidote in case he took too much and had some kind of reaction?

Herlock

"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Old 04-21-2018, 02:43 PM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
Gents, i have no medical knowledge whatsoever and so im only asking this question for my own information. Regarding bone black as an antidote. If Maybrick used arsenic might he not have kept an antidote in case he took too much and had some kind of reaction?
I'm not convinced bone-black can really be used in that way, Herlock. There are references to its being used as part of a chemical process to remove toxins (including arsenic) from water-supplies, but that's a very different thing to popping a pill if you've taken an arsenic overdose. I can't really see it working that way, either.

The first, and only reference, I've so far found to bone-black being used as an antidote by humans is Paul Feldman's book on the Maybrick diary. I might be wrong, and I'll be pleased to be corrected, but right now this looks to me like yet another urban myth born out of suspect-based ripperology.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 04-21-2018, 03:01 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
I'm not convinced bone-black can really be used in that way, Herlock. There are references to its being used as part of a chemical process to remove toxins (including arsenic) from water-supplies, but that's a very different thing to popping a pill if you've taken an arsenic overdose. I can't really see it working that way, either.

The first, and only reference, I've so far found to bone-black being used as an antidote by humans is Paul Feldman's book on the Maybrick diary. I might be wrong, and I'll be pleased to be corrected, but right now this looks to me like yet another urban myth born out of suspect-based ripperology.
Thank for that Gareth. Id have thought someone would have enquired of a scientist by now as it appears to be something that should be easy either to dismiss or confirm. It seems to have dragged on without a definitive answer.

Herlock

"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Old 04-21-2018, 03:20 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:

I wonder if he was thinking of Touery's demonstration using activated charcoal to avoid strychnine poisoning? I don't know if you've read The Anubis Gates (cracking book by Tim Powers) but the hero remembers this and so manages to save himself by eating the contents of a fireplace. I'm not sure that would work in real life, mind, activated charcoal having a greater surface area (and hence more absorbtion ability) than regular charcoal. It's used today to counteract poisons, but is apparently not particularly effective in the case of arsenic poisoning*.

One thing bone black was used for was as a pigment in ink...and I've also read that it was used to give a fine polish to a straight razor.

*Wiki entry - "Activated carbon is used to treat poisonings and overdoses following oral ingestion. Tablets or capsules of activated carbon are used in many countries as an over-the-counter drug to treat diarrhea, indigestion, and flatulence.

However, it is ineffective for a number of poisonings including strong acids or alkali, cyanide, iron, lithium, arsenic, methanol, ethanol or ethylene glycol.[4]"

Last edited by Joshua Rogan : 04-21-2018 at 03:25 PM.