No announcement yet.

My theory on Kosminski

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But how do we know he was such a mess then Abby ?
    He could have been a loner that was supported by his family. It appears the family were doing well.

I am sure they would have supported him with the strong Jewish family ethic that one reads about. But maybe when they could take no more he was passed over to Jewish Board of Guardians and finally to the workhouse as destitute. His Mania might have only got worse in the following year.

I dont know if he was Jack and would love to prove he was not. I see him as someone who could not mix and got worse under stress. Maybe when he drunk he went over the top?

Might be totally wrong though.

Pat ......

Comment

• Someone did see Kosminski.

According to at least one eyewitness, Kosminski had "broad shoulders."

John
      "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
      Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. John Watson View Post
        According to at least one eyewitness, Kosminski had "broad shoulders."

John
        and who was that?
        "Is all that we see or seem
        but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
        quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
          and who was that?
          He was a fellow by the name of Israel Schwartz. He had a good look at Kosminski when he was giving Liz Stride a rough time, and like a good witness he provided a full description to police: Age about 30, 5'5" tall, dark hair, small brown mustache, full face, broad shouldered, etc. Of course, many have tried to question Schwartz's story and doubt the broad shouldered man was Kosminski, totally ignoring the fact that Berner St. was the usual route Kosminski took to reach his home at that time, which was only two blocks from the scene. By the way, I don't think Kosminski was Jack the Ripper, but I think Jack saw the scuffle with Stride and stepped in after Kosminski left.

I'll go further: I believe Schwartz was the witness police took to the Seaside Home hoping he would identify Kosminski as the Ripper. He did identify Kosminski as the man who assaulted Stride, but he refused to swear to it because he believed (correctly) that police would use his identification to charge Kosminski with being the Ripper. It must have taken a lot of backbone to stand up to the pressure police likely used.

Dr. John

Comment

• Hi John.

Although I agree Scwartz stated to the police that he saw the chap with Liz Stride not long before she was murdered, We dont know that it was Kosminski.
            Yes Aaron possibly lived very near but without proof we cant know.
            Unfortunately.
            Finding Schwartz and seeing if any info was passed down to family might help.

Pat..........

Comment

• I often wonder if the chap that my Henry Cox followed was Kosminski or Pizer as both were in St George in the East and had a Brother that looked out for them.
              Pat.......

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. John Watson View Post
                He was a fellow by the name of Israel Schwartz. He had a good look at Kosminski when he was giving Liz Stride a rough time, and like a good witness he provided a full description to police: Age about 30, 5'5" tall, dark hair, small brown mustache, full face, broad shouldered, etc. Of course, many have tried to question Schwartz's story and doubt the broad shouldered man was Kosminski, totally ignoring the fact that Berner St. was the usual route Kosminski took to reach his home at that time, which was only two blocks from the scene. By the way, I don't think Kosminski was Jack the Ripper, but I think Jack saw the scuffle with Stride and stepped in after Kosminski left.

I'll go further: I believe Schwartz was the witness police took to the Seaside Home hoping he would identify Kosminski as the Ripper. He did identify Kosminski as the man who assaulted Stride, but he refused to swear to it because he believed (correctly) that police would use his identification to charge Kosminski with being the Ripper. It must have taken a lot of backbone to stand up to the pressure police likely used.

Dr. John
                hi Dr
                Interesting. thanks for expounding.
                "Is all that we see or seem
                but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• I'll go further: I believe Schwartz was the witness police took to the Seaside Home hoping he would identify Kosminski as the Ripper. He did identify Kosminski as the man who assaulted Stride, but he refused to swear to it because he believed (correctly) that police would use his identification to charge Kosminski with being the Ripper. It must have taken a lot of backbone to stand up to the pressure police likely used.
                  It would make it awfully difficult to be sure if a mans life would be taken on ones decision. Could it have been a family member I wonder. Maybe Matilda?

Pat................

Comment

• "It must have taken a lot of backbone to stand up to the pressure police likely used."

I agree and that is precisely why I think Anderson was blowing smoke out of his behind. I think it much more likely that the witness (whoever it was) simply couldn't be certain about his identification and that Anderson made up or greatly exaggerated the reason to save face.

c.d.

Comment

• It also seems very strange and rather hard to believe that the witness, no matter how ardent a follower of his religion he may have been, would somehow let that trump the fact that his fellow Jew was a murder and mutilator of women.

c.d.

Comment

• Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                        "
                        I agree and that is precisely why I think Anderson was blowing smoke out of his behind.
                        You can't possibly know this for certain. We don't know what Anderson and the police knew about Kosminski and the witness.

Comment

• I think Schwartz was an honest man who found himself in a difficult spot. He must have heard that police were linking Kosminski to Stride's murder, and by extension to the other Ripper killings, and realized they were depending on him to make their case. He didn't know whether Kosminski was the Ripper or not, but he knew his identification might well lead to the hanging of a man whose only crime he could testify to was roughing up a woman. I think that's exactly what he told police at the Seaside Home and why he refused to swear to it. I think Swanson's comment about Schwartz refusing to ID Kosminski because he was a fellow Jew, was pure BS.

Dr. John

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
                            You can't possibly know this for certain. We don't know what Anderson and the police knew about Kosminski and the witness.
                            Hello Scott,

No, of course I don't know this for certain which is why I said "I think" meaning that I was simply expressing my opinion.

c.d.

Comment

• Somehow it seems to have become an ascertained fact as opposed to speculation that the witness was indeed Schwartz. It could also have been Lawende or somebody else.

c.d.

Comment

• If it fits, it fits!

Greetings c.d.

Yes, the witness could have been someone else, but the totality of evidence makes Schwartz the most likely candidate. As I recall, Anderson described his witness as the only one who ever had a good look at the Ripper, and Swanson further described him as a Jewish male. That reduces the number of likely witnesses to two - Lawende and Schwartz. Lawende had only a passing glance at the man he saw with Eddowes, and while he briefly saw the man's face, he made a point of stating that he probably couldn't recognize the man if he saw him again. Schwartz on the other hand followed his suspect for a city block, then crossed the street and had a good look at his face when he accosted Stride and shouted "Lipski" as Schwartz passed by. Police considered Schwartz an important witness, and there is some indication Schwartz actually testified at Stride's inquest, although no record of this has been found.

Dr. John

Comment

Working...
                                X