Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - by Wickerman 6 hours ago.
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - by Sam Flynn 8 hours ago.
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - by Wickerman 8 hours ago.
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - by Wickerman 8 hours ago.
Witnesses: What EXACTLY did Maurice Lewis say? - by Joshua Rogan 9 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - by Herlock Sholmes 9 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - (13 posts)
Witnesses: Our Charles Cross - (8 posts)
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - (8 posts)
Witnesses: What EXACTLY did Maurice Lewis say? - (1 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: What was occuring in 1888? - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Old 02-20-2018, 10:07 AM
Premium Member
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wheat View Post
So we have a man who is a published journalist and a proven bullshiter. The smart money is on Mike having fabricated the diary.
Please don't tell me you have bet money on this, John.

Nooooooo!

Love,

Caz
X

Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:09 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz View Post
Please don't tell me you have bet money on this, John.

Nooooooo!

Love,

Caz
X
No I don't. Not that you've ever actually given a valid and provable reason as to why Mike couldn't have written the diary Caz.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:26 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz View Post
...I don't personally believe Anne had nothing to worry about when Mike came out with that particular claim, regardless of her own role in the affair. If he had needed her help to forge the diary two years earlier, and he was now beside himself with grief and rage because she had left him and taken their only child with her, surely she'd have feared it was only a matter of time before his 'unaided' claim was seriously challenged [on the grounds of general incredulity that he could have pulled it off all by himself] and he would then have to admit to having her help with the project.

Even if Anne had nothing to do with its creation, Mike's claim to have written the diary himself would have put her in a very awkward position if people who knew nothing then about his strange relationship with the truth simply accepted it at face value. She had not contradicted Mike's original claim to have got it from Devereux in 1991, so any other story coming out that was incompatible with this would leave her vulnerable unless she could think of some way to maintain Devereux's place in the story by supporting it, and to come over as more credible than Mike...
I mentioned this in Chris Jones' thread, but there was really no reason for her to maintain Devereux's place in the story at that point if Mike was going to unravel things. Up until that time she was not linked publicly to the origins of this photo album. She could have still been in the "Did you Nick it, Mike?" mode at that time and with no sweat off her brow.

In fact, a Battlecrease provenance - and she had to be aware of it - would have been more fortuitous for her and really put a stop to Mike's 'greatest hoaxer' story and prevent him from dragging her into a rapidly deteriorating situation. Instead, she doubles down with this inside the family story that drags her and her poor old Dad deeper into the abyss of this sham. This says a lot about what might have been at stake for her as well as the Battlecrease story itself.

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888
Old 02-21-2018, 03:25 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
I mentioned this in Chris Jones' thread, but there was really no reason for her to maintain Devereux's place in the story at that point if Mike was going to unravel things. Up until that time she was not linked publicly to the origins of this photo album. She could have still been in the "Did you Nick it, Mike?" mode at that time and with no sweat off her brow.

In fact, a Battlecrease provenance - and she had to be aware of it - would have been more fortuitous for her and really put a stop to Mike's 'greatest hoaxer' story and prevent him from dragging her into a rapidly deteriorating situation. Instead, she doubles down with this inside the family story that drags her and her poor old Dad deeper into the abyss of this sham. This says a lot about what might have been at stake for her as well as the Battlecrease story itself.
Or she could have been simply telling the truth?

We have two truly improbably provenances, both of which entail an astonishig level of coincidence (if the journal were not authentic). Personally, I favour Anne's provenance, mainly because - if it were actually made up - it managed to embody not one but two rather unlikely coincidences (the Formby link and Florrie using the name Graham on her release from gaol).

It is a mark of this ridiculous pantomime that one of these coincidences has to have been one. But both of these provenances mere coincidence? I think not, and I favour the first one to emerge, and that Anne was simply telling the truth.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:43 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
It is a mark of this ridiculous pantomime that one of these coincidences has to have been one. But both of these provenances mere coincidence?
Well if one can be - and you agree that one must be - then they both can be.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:16 AM
Constable

I find it interesting should the 'Diary' be a late forgery/hoax, that the originator of the alleged 'Maybrick Watch', (and the markings upon it being 'many tens of years old'), was, all those years earlier also throwing Maybrick's name in the frame. What a coincidence.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:29 AM
Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
I find it interesting should the 'Diary' be a late forgery/hoax, that the originator of the alleged 'Maybrick Watch', (and the markings upon it being 'many tens of years old'), was, all those years earlier also throwing Maybrick's name in the frame. What a coincidence.
I've been thinking about the watch again recently myself. I just can't understand why it gets swept under the carpet and Diary takes centre stage. I mean, it has a more reliable provenance, a more credible person 'brought it market', it has a Maybrick signature which at least appears to match JM's hand, and the scientific tests undertaken so far are less contradictory. If the Diary had never come to light and the watch was the first time Maybrick's name had been linked with the Ripper crimes I wonder where the Jim as Jack discussion would be now?
Old 02-22-2018, 06:27 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenOwl View Post
I've been thinking about the watch again recently myself. I just can't understand why it gets swept under the carpet and Diary takes centre stage. I mean, it has a more reliable provenance, a more credible person 'brought it market', it has a Maybrick signature which at least appears to match JM's hand, and the scientific tests undertaken so far are less contradictory. If the Diary had never come to light and the watch was the first time Maybrick's name had been linked with the Ripper crimes I wonder where the Jim as Jack discussion would be now?
when did the watch first come to light and how?

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 02-22-2018, 06:33 AM
Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
when did the watch first come to light and how?
From memory, it appeared soon after the story of the Diary broke in the press. As I understand it, Albert Johnson was showing a watch he'd bought around a year earlier to some work colleagues following a discussion they'd previously had about antiques. One of his colleagues noticed scratches on the watch which Albert hadn't noticed before. They examined the scratches further and could make out the name 'Maybrick'. One of AJ's colleagues had read the story about the Diary and said to Albert "I think you've got Jack the Ripper's watch". The rest, as they say, is history.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:42 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenOwl View Post
From memory, it appeared soon after the story of the Diary broke in the press. As I understand it, Albert Johnson was showing a watch he'd bought around a year earlier to some work colleagues following a discussion they'd previously had about antiques. One of his colleagues noticed scratches on the watch which Albert hadn't noticed before. They examined the scratches further and could make out the name 'Maybrick'. One of AJ's colleagues had read the story about the Diary and said to Albert "I think you've got Jack the Ripper's watch". The rest, as they say, is history.
Thanks Owl
dosnt the timing-right after the diary/maybrick came to light-raise your suspicions?

whats to stop someone, inspired by the diary, to scratch his name and the other stuff (I believe is the initials of the victims?) on it?

also-you really think someone like maybrick would scratch his name on the watch? hes well off enough-could just have his name engraved.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline