Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Arthur FROST J Division

Arthur Charles Frost

Arthur Charles Frost born 17th February 1867 in the parish of Brooke Norwich Norfolk.

1888 Marries his wife Ellen in Reigate.

1890 joins Metropolitan Police (06.01.1890) warrant number 75058 posted to J Division. Living at Moyna Road Upper Tooting. Trade gardener for a Capt Parr The Cedars Upper Tooting.

1891 Living in Bonner Street Bethnal Green.

1897 awarded Diamond Jubilee Medal J Division.

1898 Gives evidence at the Old Bailey (12th December), for a coining offence that occurred on the 17th November on Hackney Road, as Constable 252J.

A searchable online edition of the Proceedings of the Old Bailey, 1674-1913.

1899 Gives evidence at the Old Bailey 24th July, for a wounding offence that occurred on the 26th June on Whitechapel Road concerning the use of a revolver as Constable 252J.

1901 Living 53 Russia Lane Bethnal Green.

1902 award Coronation Medal J Division.

1902 Gives evidence at the Old Bailey 5th May, for a wounding offence that occurred on the 24th March on Paradise Street, Bethnal Green as Constable 24JR.

1911 award Coronation Medal J Division?

1911 Living 29 Bandon Lane Bethnal Green.

1913 Gives evidence at the Old Bailey on the 4th March, for a theft offence that occurred on the 28th January Marylebone as a Detective in D Division.

1918 retires from police D Division as a Detective 18.03.1918.

1918 dies Paddington.

I've found a demon bowler PC Frost skittling sides in the inter division cricket matches in 1894, but he was playing for R division.

All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by martin wilson View Post
      I've found a demon bowler PC Frost skittling sides in the inter division cricket matches in 1894, but he was playing for R division.

All the best.
      That's interesting, as there was a PC FROST who served in R Division, but he didn't join until 1896.

Comment

Do you know when he joined D division?

Daily Telegraph December 6th 1909.

Raid On West End Beggars

During the last two weeks some sixty beggars have been arrested in the West End and charged at Marylebone, most of them being "run in" by two officers, Bradshaw and Frost of the D division.

(Partial quote)

All the best

Comment

Originally posted by martin wilson View Post
          Do you know when he joined D division?

Daily Telegraph December 6th 1909.

Raid On West End Beggars

During the last two weeks some sixty beggars have been arrested in the West End and charged at Marylebone, most of them being "run in" by two officers, Bradshaw and Frost of the D division.

(Partial quote)

All the best
          That's great I'd dearly like to say it's my chap. But unfortunately there was another PC FROST in D Division who joined in 1906, so it's more likely to be him, as my chap was still living in Bethnal Green in 1911.

Just out of interest are you finding these articles on a particular website?

Comment

Just searching Frost J division, or D division on the BNA site.

What's your interest in him if you don't mind me asking?

All the best.

Comment

The man himself and his medals.
              Attached Files

Comment

Nice one, thanks.
                Always good to see the person.

Comment

East London Advertiser 1st July 1899.

A Shooting Affray.

At the Thames Police Court on Tuesday, William Wadham alias George Dewing 21, a labourer of 10, Collingwood st, Bethnal Green was charged before Mr Mead with feloniously wounding Morris Solomon by shooting him with a revolver: and further with being concerned with others in maliciously and unlawfully Samuel Woolf with intent to do him grievous bodily harm.
                  Solomon, whose head was plastered, deposed he was a jeweller's assistant, living in Mile End. On Monday night he was talking to Woolf and Philip Levy outside the cabyard in Raven-row, when he saw a lot of men pass.
                  There was a scramble, and witness ran with others. He heard a pistol shot, and then a second one, after which he felt a blow on the head.
                  He did not see who had the pistol. After receiving the blow he staggered, and found that he was bleeding. The witness was sure he was not struck by any instrument, and he did not know the accused.
                  Samuel Woolf, a cycle maker of 446 Commercial road, gave similar evidence, and said when he moved he received a blow on the head, but could not say what it was done with. He heard no reports before he was struck.
                  Joseph Levy, a lad, proved seeing the prisoner waving his right hand about, and then saw him fire a pistol. He fired at Philip Levy, who dodged down.
                  Constable 252J said he saw the prisoner trying to get at his pocket, and he said "I'll give it to you guv-nor. You are bound to find it". He then pulled out a revolver.
                  Chief Inspector Donald Waters, K Division, Saud shortly after 10 o' clock on Monday night, while in Whitechapel road, he heard the blowing of a whistle and saw the prisoner running, followed by a number of men. The witness gave chase and overtook Wadham in Bath st, where he struggled and kicked him on the leg.
                  The prisoner was conveyed to Bethnal Green station, where the witness heard that two men had been shot. Constable Frost handed the witness a revolver, which he said the prisoner had given him. Three chambers were loaded, and one had recently been discharged. On the way to Arbour Square police station the prisoner said "you say two men have been shot. How can that be when I only fired once". He was afterwards placed with nine other men, and identified by the prosecutors and some other persons. When the prisoner was charged, he said "I got it from a pal to do what I wanted to do, and I've done it". The witness did not hear any shots fired.
                  The prisoner: Three men did not recognise me, and this man (the inspector) whispered in the fourth man's ear.
                  Inspector Waters denied the allegation.
                  Wadham: Twenty men set about me, and I meant to have my own back. I only want the truth, and not false evidence.
                  Mr F.T. Waldron, receiving room officer at the London Hospital, deposed that about 10 o' clock on Monday night the prosecutors were brought in with wounds on their heads.
                  Solomon had a star shaped wound on the right side of the front of the head, with bruised edges. There was a bare patch of bone, but no fracture of the skull and no evidence of a bullet in the wound, which was not a serious one. The shot must have struck the head direct, and must have been nearly spent. Woolf was suffering from a wound with rough edges, about 1 1/2in. in length, towards the back of the skull on the left side. That also went down to the bone, but in this case the bullet glanced off. The same kind of bullet caused both wounds.
                  Mr Mead said it seemed to him there was no case in regard to Woolf, and he should only commit in Solomon's case. He committed the prisoner to the Central Criminal Court for trial.
                  Inspector Waters said the prisoner had a history.

All the best.

Comment

Thanks Martin, that's great!!!

Comment

You are very welcome. Sorry for the typo in the first paragraph, it should be unlawfully wounding Samuel Woolf.

I enjoyed posting this, William Wadham and his magic bullet.

All the best.

Comment

Working...
                      X