Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Realy? where? is there a pic?

Originally posted by DJA View Post
    Surmise 26 had one attic room and 27 more use of the space. There does seem to be two windows on 27.
    JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
    JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
    ---------------------------------------------------
    JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Comment

Might be my eyesight,however the demolition photo seems to show a second window atop 27.

Edit. Looked at other prints and there is only one. My apology.

The Goad map has a few inconsistencies in 26 like the position of the door to the stairs and the passage in the house is central.

Still surmise greater use of the attic space at 27. Prolly didn't count 1/4s.
      Last edited by DJA; 02-18-2018, 12:52 AM.
      My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

The 1928 pic of the front of 26 clearly shows 3 regular floors, but sadly doesn't show the roof.

Earlier sketches of the rear only seem to show two floors and then a tiled roof. Are the sketches unreliable, or was a third floor added later?

Comment

Maybe a clue regarding the 0.5 of a floor could be gleaned from Numbers 39, 38, 37 Dorset Street near Little Pateroster Row which are also 3.5 levels - as are the tenements opposite those houses.
          What do we know about these house? have we got some details/photos that might give a clue to that extra 0.5 level?

The photos I've seen of the pub on that corner don't show the upper levels of the houses so no clue there.

Might be my eyesight,however the demolition photo seems to show a second window atop 27.

Edit. Looked at other prints and there is only one. My apology.

The Goad map has a few inconsistencies in 26 like the position of the door to the stairs and the passage in the house is central.

Comment

There are two contemporary press sketches of a half-story across both 26 & 27 Dorset St.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Here's a clue to the 0.5 level description of the Goad plan although I'm not sure it helps answer the question.
              This is No. 66 Brushfield Street which is similar in build to 26 & 27 Dorset Street. It is also described on Goad's plan as being 3.5 levels:

Source

The twin attic windows are the same as seen on the single attic windows of 27/26 (but what is that small window about and is THAT the area that makes this building 3.5 levels?

Comment

Thanks, Jon.
                The 'half storey' you refer to, I assume means the attic space (with the roof windows)? But BOTH 26 & 27 had those and yet 26 is referred to as 3 while 27 is referred to as 3.5 on Goad.

My issue is with the differing descriptions of the two building's levels - one is 3 while the other is 3.5 - same height building (roof runs right across 26 &27) and yet different floor levels.

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                There are two contemporary press sketches of a half-story across both 26 & 27 Dorset St.

Last edited by richardh; 02-18-2018, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Brushfield Street showing numbers 40,42 & 44 :

Source

On Goad, they are 3.5 levels so I guess the attic space is the extra 0.5 for these buildings. So why is Number 26 described on Goad as only '3' when clearly, on the sketches and photos we can see an attic window AND both 26 and 27 Dorset street share the same roof (same height)?

Comment

Or, maybe, the entire attic space belonged to No. 27; and only accessible thru No. 27....

Been wondering, what's behind those bricks above the passage (arch), which building that area belonged to...
                    there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

The space above the arch would belong to the 1st/2nd floor rooms in No27. The window at the rear of 27 - under the arch just as you enter the court - belongs to the shop in 27 as is in driect line with the front door of No27. The window (and room) above would be the 1st floor of No27 which encroaches the arch space.

If you look at the Matters photo and note the front door of 26 the arch wall is very close to this door and the arch wall (inside no26) would continue up the height of the building (following the same line as the drainpipe). So I would suggest the space over the arch would belong to no27 and would part of the upper rooms.

Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post
                      Or, maybe, the entire attic space belonged to No. 27; and only accessible thru No. 27....

Been wondering, what's behind those bricks above the passage (arch), which building that area belonged to...
                      Last edited by richardh; 02-18-2018, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by richardh View Post
                        So I would suggest the space over the arch would belong to no27 and would part of the upper rooms.
                        This is correct, and is indicated as such in the Goads Plan. The west wall of Millers Court passage is shown as a dashed line, which means that wall, and the subsequent passage are beneath the 2nd floor of No.27.
                        Last edited by Wickerman; 02-18-2018, 06:50 PM.
                        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Thanks, Jon.
                          The 'half storey' you refer to, I assume means the attic space (with the roof windows)? But BOTH 26 & 27 had those and yet 26 is referred to as 3 while 27 is referred to as 3.5 on Goad.

My issue is with the differing descriptions of the two building's levels - one is 3 while the other is 3.5 - same height building (roof runs right across 26 &27) and yet different floor levels.
                          The Goads Plan we have is dated 1890, so possibly a revision was made after 1888?
                          The '3' shown on No.26 does have the room for a '1/2' to have been there originally, but later erased?
                          On the other hand, errors or inconsistencies, are not unknown on these maps.

What you may have noticed is these terrace houses in Dorset St. are built like Semi's. The right-side house is the mirror image of the left-side house.
                          As the chimney structure goes up the left side wall of No.27, and the right chimney structure goes up the right-side wall of No.26. Then if the roof/half-storey was removed, what would be left to support the chimney of No.26?

As always, lots of questions but few answers.
                          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

We can see that No.44, the house without an upper storey is constructed from very different brick. We might assume it is a later construction than Nos.42 & 40.
                            We cannot be sure No.44 is the house represented on the 1890 Goad Plan.

Regards, Jon

Brushfield Street showing numbers 40,42 & 44 :

Source

On Goad, they are 3.5 levels so I guess the attic space is the extra 0.5 for these buildings. So why is Number 26 described on Goad as only '3' when clearly, on the sketches and photos we can see an attic window AND both 26 and 27 Dorset street share the same roof (same height)?
                            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Duh!
                              The response by Kate C. lower down on this link says that No.44 was rebuilt in the 1890's., so it does seem to be later than the Goad Plan.
                              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

The door to upstairs within the passage is identified below in the large red circle - the notation only indicates "1st", which means the only level where access exists is at street level (1st = Ground floor).

If there was access from 27 to 26 through an upper floor the notation would indicate this.
                                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                                X