No announcement yet.

ORIGINAL doors in Miller's court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lived the rear of two,Oakleigh and Moorabbin.
    Both had return staircases.
    Plenty of return staircases have doorways under them. U turn ones allow doorways next to them.
    Last edited by DJA; 02-15-2018, 05:14 PM.
    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

The door to Kelly's room was just nailed shut.
      The partitioning may have been original.
      Edit. The door is behind her head,in line with the front door in Dorset Street.
      It is 3 feet wide and 2 feet from the wall.
      Last edited by DJA; 02-15-2018, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by richardh View Post
        So we are back to the theory that the stairs (ORIGINAL) went across the width of the house?
        Hi Richard.
        No, that is not what I tried to describe.

The last 3D model I saw from you was the one you created following our long exchange a couple of years ago. You may have updated it since, so I'm not sure if the 3D model I saved is the final version.

We debated how the floor plan may have looked in 1888, what I was suggesting above was how the floor plan may have originally been, and the stairs have not changed.

In the 3D model the stairs begin aligned with the passage wall, then turn to the right, this is still the best interpretation.
        However, under the staircase, where the partition wall abuts to the passage wall, you have a solid partition (beside the sealed up door).

This is where I think there was an arch, or another door (in red), which led to the backyard.
        The dashed line is where there was a partition wall, since removed to make room 13 larger.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Hi Dave

That's what I've spent the last few days trying to determine, which address did the court originally belong to - No 26 or No 27 or neither or both?

If it belonged to No 27, then I don't see any reason why No 26 had access to the courtyard. I agree tho, everything I've read says Mary's room was a parlour at a prior time.

Unable to determine bc I can only see a couple of decades prior, and the two properties are always listed together. In 71, the properties are advertised for sale as two freehold shops along with 6 houses [Miller's Court].

Hello Richard.

7 rooms is nothing. I saw an ad listing 40 Berners with 11 rooms and a basement
          there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

Quite possibly built for and owned by different family members.

John Miller was a butcher at 30 Dorset Street who purchased in 1845 and built Miller's Court between then and 1851.
            Last edited by DJA; 02-15-2018, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies
              I am going to write the 3D models slate clean and we will begin again with the latest VR model I will release probably this weekend (Feb 17th '18).

I will post a YouTube video to go with it and then we can begin to establish and change things using that single model instead of a multitude of versions I have put out in the past.

Too many versions of 3D models and too many forum threads have clouded my already boggled and confused mind!
              JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
              JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
              ---------------------------------------------------
              JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Comment

Looking forward to your work, Richard. Sorry that we can't get any closer to the actual design, too many variations in the illustrations and not enough background in the frame in the photos. Still worth the endeavor!

I don't know about the door being where the window is. I can't tell if the yard slopes underneath the window, or if it is just an optical illusion in the photo. If it slopes, it would seems a bad place for a door.

I'm rethinking whether or not Mary's door was part of the original design. Going over the photo with a mikerscope to see if i can see cutwork in the bricks around the door (if, in fact, it was added later). One thing I noticed in all of illustrations is the depiction of a "fanwork" (or arch) of bricks over No. 13's door. I can almost see them in the photo. Now I can't say that this arch of bricks wasnt added along with the door if it was installed at a later date, but that seems like an elaboration on the work needed just to add a door. Also, I'm trying to determine if her doorstep could have been created by cutting out a doorframe in the brick. To me, currently, it looks like the bricks are built around the doorstep, making me condider that the No 13 door may have been part of the original design.
                there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

I've always wondered if the original architect's plan for the building survives in a dusty cupboard somewhere. Has anyone checked at the London Metropolitan Archive to see if they hold anything there?
                  I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

That would be handy and it would put a lot of theories and [my] guesswork to bed!

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                    I've always wondered if the original architect's plan for the building survives in a dusty cupboard somewhere. Has anyone checked at the London Metropolitan Archive to see if they hold anything there?

Comment

Question:
                      On Goad's Plan No. 29,28 & 27 (MaCathy's) is described as being 3.5 floors. What is half a floor please?

ta

Comment

Question:
                        On Goad's Plan No. 29,28 & 27 (MaCathy's) is described as being 3.5 floors. What is half a floor please?

ta
                        Good question Richard! The key isn't very much help;

I've always assumed that the 1/2 floor meant an attic room built into the arch of the roof.

Comment

Didn't No. 26 have attic rooms?

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                          Good question Richard! The key isn't very much help;

I've always assumed that the 1/2 floor meant an attic room built into the arch of the roof.

Comment

Question:

ta
                            You will find what is most likely an attic bedroom above 13 Miller's Court.

This will involve yet another staircase
                            Last edited by DJA; 02-17-2018, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Well, yes, No26 certainly did have attic space and rooms as did 27. but on Goad's no 26 is decribed as 3 floors whereas 27 has 3.5. I know the design of 27 is somewhat different from No26 but i'm wondering about the difference and location of that 0.5 of a floor!

Originally posted by DJA View Post
                              You will find what is most likely an attic bedroom above 13 Miller's Court.

This will involve yet another staircase

Comment

Surmise 26 had one attic room and 27 more use of the space. There does seem to be two windows on 27.
                                Last edited by DJA; 02-17-2018, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X