Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - by DirectorDave 4 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - by Observer 5 hours ago.
Scene of the Crimes: Miller's Court Demolition Photo - by DJA 5 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - by Observer 5 hours ago.
Scene of the Crimes: Miller's Court Demolition Photo - by DJA 6 hours ago.
Scene of the Crimes: Miller's Court Demolition Photo - by richardh 6 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Scene of the Crimes: Miller's Court Demolition Photo - (11 posts)
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (3 posts)
Goulston Street Graffito: Letter dated 14th October 1896. - (3 posts)
General Police Discussion: PC Richard Pearce and the candle in the window...... - (1 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: ORIGINAL doors in Miller's court - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Old 02-13-2018, 12:37 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
Hi Ike,

How do you think the diary got under the floorboards?

Regards,

Simon
I can't be overly specific about this, Simon, but I would hazard a guess that one or more of the floorboards were relatively-easily lifted. It's impossible to say either way, so given that it is impossible to say, it is impossible to say that they could not be lifted and done so relatively quickly and quietly.

This would not be my principal focus if I were seeking to show that James Maybrick could not have written the journal and left it under the floorboards, I must say.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:13 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Hi John,

You don't sound too convinced.

Regards,

Simon
Hi Simon

I'm not remotely convinced.

Cheers John
Old 02-13-2018, 02:20 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Hi Iconoclast,

So Maybrick signed the diary, got up from his sick bed, fetched a claw hammer, tore nails out of a floorboard, prised it up, secreted the diary [biscuit tin optional], hammered the floorboard back into place without attracting any attention, and then returned to his sick bed to die?

Have I got this scenario vaguely correct?

Regards,

Simon
Simon I love you
Old 02-13-2018, 05:31 PM
Chief Inspector

Default research fees

Silence on my research fees question from before
Old 02-14-2018, 03:51 AM
Detective

There is something almost artful about this whole omnishambles it is in fact the classic move of a bunch of southern softies getting marked by a couple of scally scousers playing dumb.

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:35 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_J View Post
Evening all - just passing this along from KS. If I may be allowed to add a little something - the electrician which Feldman eventually accused of removing the diary (E.L) was not employed at Portus & Rhodes until November 1991 - making the date of 1988/89 all the more confusing.

TO OBSERVER

Thank you for your two questions in #967.

Paul Feldman’s first visit to Liverpool, (accompanied by Martin Howells and Paul Begg), occurred in February 1993. This was when they met Mike Barrett for the first time - had lunch – and then all went together to visit Battlecrease House. I agree the sequence of events is a bit unclear in Paul Feldman’s book.

I imagine the reason we are now discussing the installation of storage heaters in March 1992, is because we have a March 1992 timesheet showing the preparatory work for two storage heaters to be installed in Paul Dodd’s living room, (the room which, in 1889, was James Maybrick’s), later on that summer. It is the first hard piece of evidence we have relating to the installation of storage heaters. Now, quite why Mr Dodd informed Paul that work was carried out in 1988/89 to install the storage heaters, I don’t know. Perhaps other storage heaters were installed during that period? I wasn’t part of that initial investigation and only started looking at and revisiting it myself in 2004. It is, however, something we are currently trying to clarify and resolve with Mr Dodd’s full co-operation. Certainly the 1988/89 date was welded into Paul’s mind and this is what triggered off his investigation into the electricians.

Best Wishes

Keith
Thanks for that Mr Skinner

Yes, I assumed (seeing that Paul Begg, and Martin Howells were not mentioned in the book as visiting Battlecrease House) that Feldman and Barrett had possibly visited Battlecrease House on a subsequent visit, that is after the February 1993 visit.

I am aware that a timesheet exists for the installation of storage heaters dating to March 1992. However, Mr Dodds initial recollection of events, that is, the installation of storage heaters in 1988/9 strikes me as a little strange.

Lets face it, if storage heaters were fitted once only, then he's out in his recollection by over two years.

As you say perhaps there was work done in 1988/9 which involved the lifting of floorboards. We now have to ask the question ( if this is the case) why was nothing found under the floorboards during that time?

Mr Dodds surely holds the key, I'd be interested to know what his final words are on the matter.

Another thing which struck my mind is this. In February 1993 Paul Feldman apparently accepted the story that the Diary had been given to Mike Barrett by Tony Devereux. What prompted Paul Feldman, during his visit to Battlecrease House, to ask Mr Dodds if there had been any work carried out in the house in the recent past? A shot in the dark perhaps? Lateral thinking? Prior knowledge?

Regards

Observer
Old 02-14-2018, 10:24 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
According to Shirley Harrison's book, Paul Dodd told her that the storage heaters were installed in two phases: in Maybrick's bedroom in the late summer of 1991 and the downstairs flat in 1993.
More confusion. However, hard to explain his initial recollection of storage heater being installed in 1988/9. The late summer of 1991 for the storage heaters being installed in Maybrick's bedroom is interesting though. I'm surprised it hasn't been jumped upon by the pro Battlecrease provenance devotees. It begs the question though, should anything have been found at that time, of it's whereabouts between late summer 1991, and March 1992. Are there any timesheets relating to work being done in Maybrick's bedroom in late summer 1991 I wonder? Apparently timesheets for March 1992 exist.Why not late summer 1991?

Last edited by Observer : 02-14-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:43 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
More confusion. However, hard to explain his initial recollection of storage heater being installed in 1988/9. The late summer of 1991 for the storage heaters being installed in Maybrick's bedroom is interesting though. I'm surprised it hasn't been jumped upon by the pro Battlecrease provenance devotees. It begs the question though of it whereabouts between late summer 1991, and March 1992. Are there any timesheets relating to work being done in Maybrick's bedroom in late summer 1991 I wonder? Apparently timesheets for March 1992 exist.Why not late summer 1991?
Yes, the conflicting dates that have been given for the installation of the storage heaters is confusing to say the least. Here's a link to Shirley's book, where the relevant issue is discussed: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...icians&f=false
Old 02-14-2018, 10:51 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
Yes, the conflicting dates that have been given for the installation of the storage heaters is confusing to say the least. Here's a link to Shirley's book, where the relevant issue is discussed: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...icians&f=false
Thanks for that I don't have that book.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:26 AM
Superintendent

Yes, this story has been discussed at length, Davies, Rhodes, et al earlier in one of the Maybrick threads.

Of course the following was commented on at length, it puts everything into perspective if true.

"Paul was adamant. The house was originally gaslit and converted to electricity in the 1920's. It was re-wired when his father bought it in 1946, and again in 1977, when paul himself had gutted the place, and lifted the floorboards. Had anything been hidden, he was sure he would have found it then.

The electricians are still denying having found the Diary apparently. The currant position for the Battkecrease provenance seems to hinge on the March 9th 1992 timesheet. Who was responsible for making out the timesheet I wonder?