Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Scene of the Crimes: Was Whitechapel really any worse than other areas of London? - by miss marple 26 minutes ago.
Doctors and Coroners: Eddowes' gut cut - by Sam Flynn 2 hours ago.
Doctors and Coroners: Eddowes' gut cut - by Fisherman 2 hours ago.
A6 Murders: scan of Hanratty statement re Rhyl alibi - by Spitfire 7 hours ago.
Doctors and Coroners: Eddowes' gut cut - by Joshua Rogan 7 hours ago.
Doctors and Coroners: Eddowes' gut cut - by Joshua Rogan 8 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: Diary Handwriting - (25 posts)
Doctors and Coroners: Eddowes' gut cut - (15 posts)
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (10 posts)
A6 Murders: scan of Hanratty statement re Rhyl alibi - (5 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Dennis Nilsen - (4 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Was Whitechapel really any worse than other areas of London? - (3 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Old 01-24-2018, 01:58 AM
Chief Inspector

This thread has basically become a thread where a few crackpot posters come up with more and more outlandish statements as to how the diary came into Mike's possession and then sensible posters point out how ludicrous these scenarios are only for the crackpots to come up with more outlandish statements and the whole cycle continues. This leads me to two conclusions. 1. Mike isn't wasn't as stupid as some would have you believe and 2. you can't reason with crackpots.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:06 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Flower View Post
didn't want to beclown himself
It's not often I've seen the splendid word "beclown" being used, but I'm glad you did

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 01-24-2018, 05:34 AM
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
It's not often I've seen the splendid word "beclown" being used, but I'm glad you did
Thank you Gareth, perhaps the reason the word appears so rarely on the boards is that there is such little pretext here for its use, the contributors all being splendidly rational people making eminently reasonable points?
Old 01-24-2018, 05:42 AM
Inactive

Incidentally, Gareth, I recently stumbled at the other place across your marvellous Dylan Thomasesque 'Dear Boss' recitation.

'Now as I was young and easy under the Whitechapple boughs'?
Old 01-24-2018, 06:34 AM
Premium Member
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
I notice that Easter Sunday fell on the 19th April in 19992. The kids normally break up for a fortnight during Easter, a week before and a week after. So in effect the 10th April until the 27th April. Mike Barrett will have been relieved of his commitment of taking his daughter to and from school during this time, thus having more time on his hands than normal for that period.
Hi Observer,

Nicely observed.

Mike took the diary to London on Monday 13th April. So he'd have been on school run duties up to Friday 10th, if that is when the term ended. It's entirely possible he had asked Doreen if their meeting could be arranged for the Easter holidays, when Anne may have been off work anyway to be with Caroline.

Love,

Caz
X

Old 01-24-2018, 06:51 AM
Premium Member
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpalmer View Post
"When I disposed of the photographs from the Album by giving them to William Graham, I kept one back. This photograph was of a Grave, with a Donkey standing nearby." -- Mike Barrett, 5 January, 1992. [1995 actually - caz]

If you punch the words "donkey in a graveyard" in a Google image search engine, the first photo that comes up is an animal graveyard in...of all places...Merseyside, Liverpool, UK.

See above.

The donkey is mourning the loss of his friend "Chubby." The photo dates to around 1937 and was evidently a "gag" photo that was making the rounds about the time the Royal Airforce was saving the world for democracy. Barrett's album is said to have once had photographs in it. Case closed?
Wonderful, rj.

What do you make of Mike's claim that he kept this particular photo back, and his use of the past tense when describing what it 'was' of?

Did he just have a passing fondness for donkeys - or graves? Or was he planning to keep it as proof that the album had contained post-Victorian snaps?

Either way, he apparently let the photo go. You're not suggesting it ended up on the internet - are you?

Enjoy your afternoon.

Love,

Caz
X

Old 01-24-2018, 06:51 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Flower View Post
'Now as I was young and easy under the Whitechapple boughs'?
Whitechapple... closer to Herne Hill than Fern Hill.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:01 AM
Premium Member
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
Apparently, if I happen to read a post on this forum shortly after it is made I am "just waiting to pounce" and am "like a sad person?". (The normal smear type language we have come to expect.) But that is what happened. I read a post shortly after it was made and then much later noticed it had been amended. Bad luck to the person who tried to quietly delete their mistake but got found out and doesn't like it.
How old are you, David? People submit posts all the time and then take advantage of the editing period allowed to check what they've written and make any amendments as they see fit. If I cared remotely about being 'found out' for any of the amendments or corrections I make to my own posts, I would preview them and do all my editing 'quietly' before submitting, so nobody could ever see what I had changed.

I just found it amusing to think of you reading a post of mine within the editing period. But then I am very easily amused.

Love,

Caz
X

Old 01-24-2018, 08:32 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz View Post
Did he just have a passing fondness for donkeys
Equus omnia revelat. Or asinus, as the case may be.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:05 AM
Premium Member
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
The latest nonsense I read today is that

"any deal Mike might have considered, giving a cut of his royalties to Paul Dodd, could only have been a private one between the two of them, on trust"

On trust? Really? Perhaps the Great Misunderstander has never heard of lawyers. Or legal agreements. I suspect that Mike had heard of them.

Mike was evidently being asked to enter into a legally binding agreement with Paul Dodd to give Dodd 5% of his very substantial future royalties in return for Dodd not contesting ownership of the diary. That is what Feldman records.
It was put to Mike by Feldman, yes. And Mike told Feldman to tell Paul Dodd to foxtrot oscar.

Quote:
Naturally, if Dodd was successful in claiming ownership of the diary he would have owned the copyright thus potentially blocking publication of the book and, in effect, denying Mike 100% of those very substantial royalties that he was expecting.
If Mike knew, or suspected, the diary had been stolen from the house, he also knew that as long as he and the tea leaf denied it, Dodd would have a job successfully claiming ownership of it and depriving him of all the spoils. Possession being nine tenths of the law, and with no proof it was ever in his house, it would have been as difficult for Dodd to claim it had been there with his knowledge as without it.

Quote:
So, if Mike knew that the Battlecrease provenance was a false story, a rejection of the offer being put to him by Feldman was perfectly understandable.
Understandable, assuming the 5% would have meant more to him than the chance to give his recently faked diary a Dodd-endorsed provenance. The claim was that the diary had come from the house back in 1989, so Mike would have been in the clear by sticking to his story that he had acquired it innocently two years down the line in 1991, never knowing where it had come from. Clearly, had Eddie Lyons 'confessed' to Feldman that he'd stolen it at any point after August 1991, and certainly as late as 1992, Mike's whole 'dead pal' story would have been in tatters if he had gone along with it, false or not.

Quote:
His rejection certainly does not require Mike to know that the Diary had been stolen and, if Mike actually believed that the diary came from Battlecrease and thought the offer being made was genuine, it would have been sensible for him to accept it because he would possibly have saved 95% of his royalties.
But at what cost to Mike's standing as the man who would be revealing the ripper's identity to the world, courtesy of a diary entrusted to him by a grateful deceased friend back in 1991? He wasn't going to admit he got it from a thief in 1992, shortly before taking it to London, and lose 5% in the process, was he?

Love,

Caz
X

Last edited by caz : 01-24-2018 at 09:16 AM.