Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Scene of the Crimes: Miller's Court Demolition Photo - by DJA 24 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - by John G 28 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - by Pcdunn 38 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - by John G 43 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: ORIGINAL doors in Miller's court - by DJA 50 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - by Hunter 5 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (19 posts)
Maybrick, James: Who was the author of the 'Maybrick' diary? Some options. - (17 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Miller's Court Demolition Photo - (17 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (17 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: ORIGINAL doors in Miller's court - (11 posts)
General Police Discussion: PC Arthur FROST J Division - (7 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Old 01-21-2018, 01:57 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpalmer View Post
The donkey is mourning the loss of his friend "Chubby." The photo dates to around 1937 and was evidently a "gag" photo that was making the rounds about the time the Royal Airforce was saving the world for democracy. Barrett's album is said to have once had photographs in it. Case closed?
Almost certainly. Nice one RJ.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:02 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
I notice that Easter Sunday fell on the 19th April in 19992. The kids normally break up for a fortnight during Easter, a week before and a week after. So in effect the 10th April until the 27th April. Mike Barrett will have been relieved of his commitment of taking his daughter to and from school during this time, thus having more time on his hands than normal for that period.
Wow 19992, wats that near on 18000 years.

Well I guess they’ll still be arguing over the diary then.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:07 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
If you punch the words "donkey in a graveyard" in a Google image search engine, the first photo that comes up is an animal graveyard in...of all places...Merseyside, Liverpool, UK. The photo dates to around 1937.
The photograph must therefore have been placed in the album/scrapbook sometime after 1937, and whoever did it could well have lived for a long time thereafter. The scrapbook could have remained in its compiler's possession until he/she died, sometime after which the family decided to donate or sell it to a dealer. It's not inconceivable, therefore, that the scrapbook couldn't have been bought by a member of the general public until several decades after the late 1930s/early 1940s.

Last edited by Sam Flynn : 01-21-2018 at 04:21 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:40 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
Hi Phil

Happy New Year to you to

rjp, made a comment not too long ago to the effect that our friends across the pond seemed to have been missing out on their biscuit rations. It seems we Brits have unusually large biscuit tins in comparison to the American ones. Considering the size of the diary he rightly wondered if there were biscuit tins in the LVP which could accommodate the diary. He was promptly informed by an experienced smoke and mirror devotee that, yes, tins of such size were available in the LVP. I was sceptical that the answer to this comment was a tad too quick for the the smoke and mirror devotee to have checked out if indeed biscuit tins in the LVP, were large enough to accommodate the diary, and so i did a check. I must admit I didn't do an extensive search, but I couldn't find a reference to tins of the size which would be capable of holding the diary. Task for the weekend. Find a reference revealing whether a biscuit tin was in existence, in the LVP, which would accommodate the diary

Observer
Hello Observer,

A quick look into LVP biscuit tins in GB show predominantly Huntley and Palmer biscuits. In differing shapes and sized and coloured tins.
A rather additional point. .nobody..as far as I can recall, has ever mentioned the lid of the biscuit tin. You see..we haven't even been told if there WAS one!

Good luck with your research.. you will be surprised by the different shapes.

Phil

Justice for the 96 = achieved
Accountability? ....
Old 01-21-2018, 04:50 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
I can’t answer any of your questions, Phil, but perhaps it might be helpful if I set out the evidence relating to the biscuit tin as I understand it.

Only one electrician has ever claimed to have been told that a biscuit tin was discovered under the floorboards of Battlecrease. This is Alan Davies who supposedly mentioned this piece of information to Alan Dodgson in an APS shop in Bootle in late 1992 (although we were originally told it was in late 1991).

Who told Alan Davies about a biscuit tin? Well the only name suggested by Davies has been Brian Rawes but Rawes has been adamant that he knew nothing about any biscuit tin. Davies’ actual words, when recently interviewed by James Johnston, were:

“I remember it was Brian [Rawes] or someone, telling me that it was in a tin under the floor.”

So it could have been anyone who told him and this seems to have excited Robert Smith who wonders in his book if it was Eddie Lyons who mentioned the biscuit tin to Davies. But, if that was the case, one would have thought that Davies would remember being told about the discovery by the person who actually made it.

Ultimately, then, the person who supposedly told Davies about the biscuit tin is unknown.

As for the contents of the biscuit tin, Davies is supposed to have told Dodgson in late 1992 that it contained two items: a leather bound diary and a gold wedding ring. However, when interviewed by James Johnston recently, his memory appears to have improved and he now thinks he remembers a watch being in the tin too:

Thus, he told JJ:

“Yeah, I remember a watch I think”

However, at the same time, he confirmed that this was all second hand information and that “I never seen anything”.

Given that we don’t know who the source of the biscuit tin story was and how reliable that person was, it could easily all have been a wind-up or an exaggeration of an existing story. Given also that the date of the APS shop conversation was, initially, wrongly stated to be late 1991 and is now stated to be late 1992, establishing the exact date is crucial because it seems it was in early 1993 that the theory that the diary had been found under the floorboards in Battlecrease was developed and this could have been known to the electricians (or some of them) which could thus have been the basic source for the "discovery of a diary under the floorboards" story apparently told by Davies to Dodgson and which had grown in the telling to include a biscuit tin.
Hello David,

Thank you for the reply. I fully expect absolutely no answer to most..if any of my questions. Because they are a fly in the ointment. (There was no mention of any lid or not..which I find strange...)

Last year I put forward a comment. Any Liverpudlian working man will tell you anything you want to hear for a few free drinks in a pub. Liverpudlian humour is as dry as old wood. It amazes me this hasn't been realised a long long time ago.
Because..ANY biscuit tin from the LVP would be worth money..and Liverpudlian working men aren't shy of making a bob or two from items that fall conveniently into their laps.
Honestly..you can see this coming. It has 'utter rubbish" printed all over it..imho. People make the stupid mistake of thinking that cleverly worked out stories will get swallowed without question.
I chewed this over 25 years ago and spat it out. Tasted very off. By now it is worse than rancid.

Phil

Justice for the 96 = achieved
Accountability? ....

Last edited by Phil Carter : 01-21-2018 at 04:53 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:17 AM
Commisioner

Biscuit tins, mourning donkeys and lifted floor boards.alas, Is this what ripperology has come to?

: )

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 01-21-2018, 06:38 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
Biscuit tins, mourning donkeys and lifted floor boards.alas, Is this what ripperology has come to?
Well, at least the mourning donkey might be another nail in the coffin of the "old hoax" Diary theory.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:43 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post

: )
This thread has become a bit of a joke.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:51 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Hi Keith. I appreciate your contribution, but with all respect, what is the relevance of posting yet again Kevin Whay's search of the receipts at O & L? Why should any intelligent person consider this evidence of anything, or wish to draw a conclusion based on it, since the search was so obviously flawed?
In fairness to Keith, RJ, he posted that record of the Whay/Harrison telephone conversation in response to a specific request from me for it to be posted. It goes to the issue of whether Inside Story had revealed all the known information about the auction, which itself goes to a more pertinent issue of whether James Johnston should be revealing the full transcripts of his interviews with the electricians, something which he is inexplicably refusing to do.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:56 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Carter View Post
Hello Observer,

A quick look into LVP biscuit tins in GB show predominantly Huntley and Palmer biscuits. In differing shapes and sized and coloured tins.
A rather additional point. .nobody..as far as I can recall, has ever mentioned the lid of the biscuit tin. You see..we haven't even been told if there WAS one!

Good luck with your research.. you will be surprised by the different shapes.

Phil
Hi Phil

Yes, I've had another look at the various shapes and sizes, it's amazing what some of those tins sell for. I'll be keeping my eyes open next time I visit charity shops etc. As David Orsam has stated though, there doesn't appear to be much truth regarding the Diary being found in a biscuit tin.

Personally, I believe anything those electricians have said regarding the finding of the Diary in Battlecrease House, should be taken with a large pinch of salt.

Observer

Last edited by Observer : 01-21-2018 at 07:10 AM.