Cecil Hotel, Richard Raminez, Jack Unterweger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cecil Hotel, Richard Raminez, Jack Unterweger

Recently came across a show on the ID Channel focusing on the Los Angeles hotel in a very seedy neighborhood which was once used by two different serial murderers. I knew of Raminez, of course, but Unterweger's story was new to me.

Apparently the Austrian, known as "The Vienna Strangler", served 15 years for murders, then became a writer and journalist upon his release. Upon learning of the notorious Night Stalker murders, and the killer's connection to the hotel, Unterweger traveled to California, booked room 1402, and spent his days doing research and riding with local cops. Then, at night, he strangled women with their own bras. He wasn't caught until he returned to Europe.
    What a bizarre case!

The Cecil Hotel was home to some 16 murders or suicides, and played host to two notorious serial killers.

Do we know of other serial killers who were in creative professions?
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

One parallel to Jack the Ripper might be Jack Unterweger working next to police on murders he committed.
    Name fits
    Seems he had his Unterwegers in a twist when it came to prostitutes.
    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
      Recently came across a show on the ID Channel focusing on the Los Angeles hotel in a very seedy neighborhood which was once used by two different serial murderers. I knew of Raminez, of course, but Unterweger's story was new to me.

Apparently the Austrian, known as "The Vienna Strangler", served 15 years for murders, then became a writer and journalist upon his release. Upon learning of the notorious Night Stalker murders, and the killer's connection to the hotel, Unterweger traveled to California, booked room 1402, and spent his days doing research and riding with local cops. Then, at night, he strangled women with their own bras. He wasn't caught until he returned to Europe.
      What a bizarre case!

The Cecil Hotel was home to some 16 murders or suicides, and played host to two notorious serial killers.

Do we know of other serial killers who were in creative professions?
      which is why you don't let a convicted first degree murderer out of prison, let alone a serial killer.
      "Is all that we see or seem
      but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Recently came across a show on the ID Channel focusing on the Los Angeles hotel in a very seedy neighborhood which was once used by two different serial murderers.
        The same hotel has a tenuous link to the Black Dahlia murder, and is also the hotel in which occurred the curious death of Elisa Lam.

- Ginger

Comment

Cursed hotel?

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
          The same hotel has a tenuous link to the Black Dahlia murder, and is also the hotel in which occurred the curious death of Elisa Lam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Elisa_Lam
          Yes, Lam was a strange case I've read about on another forum ( Websleuths, I think).

The TV program was called "Horror at the Cecil Hotel", but it isn't listed at ID Channel's website as a current series. Maybe the episode I saw was a sort of pilot.
          They said frequently in the program that some thought the place was "cursed" or "haunted", but I think these terms are often applied to places where weird or unexplained things occur.
          ---------------
          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
          ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
            which is why you don't let a convicted first degree murderer out of prison, let alone a serial killer.
            Agreed, but that was in Austria or Germany. Not sure of their laws there, but I gather he was around 16 at the time of the murder, and managed to play the role of the reformed killer very well. He apparently became known and successful as a poet, author, and journalist. I was guessing he was a sociopath, yet Wiki said he had "narcissistic personality disorder." Just about the same thing, IMO.
            ---------------
            ---------------

Comment

Agreed, but that was in Austria or Germany. Not sure of their laws there, but I gather he was around 16 at the time of the murder, and managed to play the role of the reformed killer very well. He apparently became known and successful as a poet, author, and journalist. I was guessing he was a sociopath, yet Wiki said he had "narcissistic personality disorder." Just about the same thing, IMO.
              I’m pretty harsh when it comes to violent crime. I’m actually in favor of the death penalty for first degree murder.

Murder victims don’t get a second chance, and there families are devastated forever. I have no problem with capital punishment.
              "Is all that we see or seem
              but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
              quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Working...
              X