Acquiring A Victorian Diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
    Brain Rawes, Eddie Lyons, Paul Dodd, Paul Feldman, etc. etc. What a confusing mess. Who's gonna straighten it all out?
    Scott--As far as I can tell, wading through whatever Eleanor Rigby may or may not have told Dring...

On second thought, I'll get back to you later.

Comment

• David wrote:

But let's fantasise for a moment and assume that Mike knew that Eddie had found the diary in Battlecrease. I'm really not sure why it's more obvious that he would refuse Paul Dodd's offer than accept it. If he knew the diary came from Battlecrease he might have been worried that Paul Dodd would take ownership and block publication of the book so accepting the offer would have negated that problem.
      That. Exactly.

I guess we're just supposed to accept that because of abstract hypothetical convolutions he was "in no position" to do any such deal. I don't buy it.

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
        Now it might be interesting if the full account of the telephone conversation between Harrison and Whay could be posted by one of the book's authors and we can all see if it was reported in the book in a fair and unbiased fashion.
        You mean from notes taken by Harrison? I doubt the conversation was recorded on tape. The same with most of the other conversations. All we have are the participants' memories of what was said.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike J. G. View Post
          No, mate. As I say, I was in a bit of a hurry as I actually have a life to lead! lol. I'm a busy man, Caz.
          You're not the only one, mate!

I didn't have time to "challenge" an old bloke about his hobbies.
          Ah, so you didn't stay long. Understood.

I probably wasn't on the list because I bought my ticket on the day and went with David Upton, a man I believe you have met before.
          If I have, I'm sorry but I don't remember the name.

Tell Keith, if he wants a straightener or something then he's free to PM me
          Even better than that, mate. Keith intends to come on board! In his own words: "So that people can voice their criticisms of my research methodology and findings together with their suspicions about my motives for remaining involved with this subject over the past 25 years - directly to me."

Love,

Caz
          X
          "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Come on, Caz, you know which coincidences I'm talking about as I've brought them up, as others have, many times before. David has brought them up many times over. For one, you were very insistent that the Poste House was actually the Tavern, and that one secret gent was privy to this knowledge, while nobody else was, you know the rest of the coincidences, so I won't go into it atm.
            Not with you, mate. What hard to swallow coincidences are involved with a hoax created, say, prior to 1970, which is what the Rendell team concluded?
            How would that affect which post house the hoaxer meant, assuming they were thinking of a specific watering hole?

Love,

Caz
            X

Comment

You didn't, though, Caz, you gave me his initials. What am I supposed to do with his initials? Can you repeat his name here and give me some info for how I'd get in touch with him? PM me if you like. I can't just take your word for it, Caz.
              I gave you his full name, Mike. Go check all the posts. I'm not running around after you, I'm a busy woman.

Love,

Caz
              X

Comment

Well, my name is quite clearly longer than "Mike J. G." lol. How would Keith know what I even look like? I've got one picture on here on my profile; who was he looking out for, a man with "Mike J. G." written on his forehead? My name would've been down with my surname, if it was even down at all, as I bought my ticket on the day. I was supposed to have one booked by a friend, but no cigar.
                No need to be facetious, mate. Keith was thinking you might want to introduce yourself to him, so you could put to him all the questions you have raised here, only to treat the responses you get here with contempt and mockery - that's when you bother to read them.

Keith could only enquire if a Mike J. G. was on their list, as that was all the info he had about you.

Like I said to Kaz, the questions I wanted to ask were already being discussed, wasn't David's article passed on to Keith?
                I have no idea. I wasn't there. What article?

If Cheggers ever wants to meet me in the Kingsman for a natter, he can give me a heads up via one of his devout followers on here
                Poor taste, mate.

Love,

Caz
                X

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post

Poor taste, mate.

Lets give Mike the benefit of the doubt and assume thats something else he's not 'up to date' with

Comment

• Originally posted by Henry Flower View Post
                    I am nothing if not a gentleman, Caz. I also recognize the futility of all this.
                    May I just stop you there then?

Thanks, Henry.

It is indeed futile to discuss anything with people who invent absurd scenarios just so they can knock them down, such as the floorboards coming up 'about 50 seconds' before Mike phoned London. I thought you were better than that, Henry. Seems I was mistaken. Why would anyone do this, unless what has been suggested is not nearly absurd enough for comfort? If the floorboards need to be up first thing that morning, say by 8.30, before the wiring job can even begin, and Mike could be calling London when he gets home after collecting his daughter from primary school, which would be around 3.30, there would be seven hours between the two events. You can bet your arse that your 50 second scenario is 'not only unconvincing but actually counterproductive'. It's also unworthy of a gentleman and pretty unscholarly.

Question for the weekend:

How many electricians does it take to lift a floorboard? One? Two?

Presumably the same as the number of hoaxers it would take.

Love,

Caz
                    X

Comment

It's also unworthy of a gentleman and pretty unscholarly.

X

Summed up the naysayers to a T !

Don't let them get you down, caz, and keep up the great work

Comment

Would it be presumptuous to ask, Caz, that you lay out briefly what you currently suspect to have happened? With the caveat that of course investigation is ongoing and the evidence cuurrently incomplete?
                        Yes, it would.

Love,

Caz
                        Xs.

Comment

May I just stop you there then?

Thanks, Henry.

It is indeed futile to discuss anything with people who invent absurd scenarios just so they can knock them down, such as the floorboards coming up 'about 50 seconds' before Mike phoned London. I thought you were better than that, Henry. Seems I was mistaken. Why would anyone do this, unless what has been suggested is not nearly absurd enough for comfort? If the floorboards need to be up first thing that morning, say by 8.30, before the wiring job can even begin, and Mike could be calling London when he gets home after collecting his daughter from primary school, which would be around 3.30, there would be seven hours between the two events. You can bet your arse that your 50 second scenario is 'not only unconvincing but actually counterproductive'. It's also unworthy of a gentleman and pretty unscholarly.

Question for the weekend:

How many electricians does it take to lift a floorboard? One? Two?

Presumably the same as the number of hoaxers it would take.

Love,

Caz
                          X
                          Oh Caz - the only regret I have about using 50 seconds as a facetious interim is that has allowed you to convince yourself that it sounds reasonable by comparison that the call was made later the same day.

Are you certain the floorboards were lifted by 8.30? Are you seriously suggesting that the diary was immediately found, perused in some detail, recognised as being an item of interest, and rushed post-haste to Mike Barrett down the boozer, who immediately phoned his people in London?

('Post-haste' isn't the wrongly alleged name of an old public house in Liverpool, btw, Caz, before you start getting anxious - that would be 'Ye Olde Poste House').

Seven hours my ass.
                          Last edited by Henry Flower; 01-19-2018, 09:27 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaz View Post
                            Summed up the naysayers to a T !

Don't let them get you down, caz, and keep up the great work
                            yawn.

Comment

yawn.
                              Get some vitamin D my ole flower...

and leave the detective work to us

Comment

Are you seriously suggesting that the diary was immediately found, perused in some detail, recognised as being an item of interest, and rushed post-haste to Mike Barrett down the boozer, who immediately phoned his people in London?
                                No.

By the way, the hoaxer spells post haste as poste haste. Silly arse.

Love,

Caz
                                X

Comment

Working...
                                X