Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Shades of Whitechapel: The Golden State Serial Killer - by Purkis 34 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by harry 1 hour and 14 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Abby Normal 4 hours ago.
General Letters or Communications: Two authentic comms from the Ripper? - by c.d. 4 hours ago.
General Letters or Communications: Two authentic comms from the Ripper? - by Abby Normal 5 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Herlock Sholmes 5 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (75 posts)
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (24 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (8 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Was Whitechapel really any worse than other areas of London? - (3 posts)
General Letters or Communications: Two authentic comms from the Ripper? - (3 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: The Golden State Serial Killer - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Scene of the Crimes

Old 12-20-2017, 12:10 PM
Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Station Cat View Post
From the Kentish Mercury 3rd August 1883. This Tabard Road appears to have been in Bow, so can't be the Borough one? Bow is certainly nearer to Whitechapel? There's a Wickham Close near Stepney Green, has this been renamed from Wickham Place? Could this be where Tabard Street was??
There was a Tabard Court which was just south of Bow in Lodore Street E14 (Poplar). Its location is now taken by the St Frideswides Mission, which was the real location for the TV series Call The Midwife, although the nuns left it to go to the midlands in the 60s.

Wickham Close is a new road (1999)named after the tower block that used to be there called Wickham House which was named after a place in Sussex, Wickham Green.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:53 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by yen_powell View Post
There was a Tabard Court which was just south of Bow in Lodore Street E14 (Poplar). Its location is now taken by the St Frideswides Mission, which was the real location for the TV series Call The Midwife, although the nuns left it to go to the midlands in the 60s.

Wickham Close is a new road (1999)named after the tower block that used to be there called Wickham House which was named after a place in Sussex, Wickham Green.

Many thanks for this information Yen. I don't think it'll be the Poplar one as that would have been covered by K Division. Interestingly the Wickham Place/Tabbard Street is in fact the Borough one, so the Bow location is incorrect in that newspaper report.

Also Scholes never served in L Division (Borough) so it's anyone's guess where the journalist got Tabard Street from? I mulling over the possibility that it's perhaps a misquote of Arbour Street? If he'd been posted to that station, then that would explain why he was patrolling Mile End Road?

If Bow can be confused with Borough then why not Tabard and Arbour?
Old 12-23-2017, 10:07 AM
Sergeant

"Countryman" Melborne - Friday 3rd October 1924.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2018, 12:14 PM
Sergeant

Going off topic slightly if I may, no trace of Tabbard Street can be located.... interesting whilst working on another project I came across some other streets that clealry existed, but can find no trace of them either? Even using this 1891 map.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom...9&layers=1&b=1

Old Bailey case....

DONALD WATERS (Police Inspector, J). On June 26th, a little after 10 p.m., I heard a whistle in Whitechapel Road—I saw the prisoner running, followed by a number of persons—I gave chase—after running about 100 yards in Ivy Lane, Friday Street, Bath Street, I overtook him in Bath Passage—we struggled—a constable came to my assistance—he continued to struggle, and kicked me in the leg, but did not hurt me much—other roughs got round—he was conveyed to Bethnal Green Police-station by two constables—

Ivy Lane, Friday Street, Bath Street & Bath Passage, all appear to have been near Whitechapel Road and relatively close to Bethnal Green Station and yet I can find no record of them or confirm there locations? If someone else can shine some light on this for me, I'd very much like to hear from you.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:33 PM
Chief Inspector

Hey SC,
Bath Street runs off Brady Street, opposite the east end of Buck's Row. Well, one does, there may be others. There's also a Bath Place off it, perhaps this is the Bath Passage mentioned, it does look rather narrow.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:57 PM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Station Cat View Post
"Countryman" Melborne - Friday 3rd October 1924.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_May
Old 02-08-2018, 02:42 PM
Sergeant

Tabard street runs down South East from the Borough and runs into old kent road (A2). Just south of the river, in Southwark area.

Pat....
Old 02-08-2018, 06:22 PM
Chief Inspector

Found this handy site for London streets that have had their names changed, which might be useful. Not in this instance, alas.

https://www.maps.thehunthouse.com/St...reet_Names.htm
Old 02-09-2018, 01:38 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
Hey SC,
Bath Street runs off Brady Street, opposite the east end of Buck's Row. Well, one does, there may be others. There's also a Bath Place off it, perhaps this is the Bath Passage mentioned, it does look rather narrow.

Thanks Josh, I think you might be onto something here. If the red line on the map below is Bath Street, then Ivy Street & Friday Street are perhaps some of the streets joining it?
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2018, 01:40 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Tabard street runs down South East from the Borough and runs into old kent road (A2). Just south of the river, in Southwark area.

Pat....

Thanks Pat, but the Tabbard Street I'm trying to find was supposed to be in Whitechapel somewhere near Mile End Road.