No announcement yet.

Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never realized before that Murphy was stationed in Patchogue (where Tangredi was from and where she was found murdered) and the date of when the sex worker identified him coincides with the month the murders start. I wonder if Tangredi could have been one of the woman who he demanded free sex from.

Comment

Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
      Abby no that must be from 2011 or 2012. The link is there just below the quote to provide the source for you to read the context. My point was when the chief said one killer, the DA responded saying no. And there never has been any kind of official statement. I know it seems obvious that JB must be LISK but trust me things aren't always as they appear. Although I'm not one of them, there are a large number of people who believe that SCPD framed Bittrolff! I think his interrogation room statement of "I knew it" (it being they caught him through familial dna match).

Abby you are clearly opinionated and that's fun but have you thread through the newsday coverage of the Bittrolff trial? why did they destroy the evidence from a now Lt. in SCPD who was son of the head homicide detective and a suspect in the murders Bittrolff was convicted of?

"Back then, one of the many men police investigated was Sgt. Michael Murphy, retired Det. John McLeer testified in state Supreme Court.

Murphy was a uniformed sergeant in the Fifth Precinct in Patchogue, McLeer said during cross-examination by defense attorney William Keahon of Hauppauge.

Detectives then were aware that a sergeant in the precinct was forcing prostitutes to give him oral sex, McLeer said. One of them identified Murphy by name in October 1994 and said he had demanded “sex for nothing” seven or eight times next to the Patchogue Motor Inn over a two-year period, McLeer said.

Until Wednesday, jurors knew Murphy had been a suspect but hadn’t learned why. Prosecutors have refused to say why police investigated him and in 1998 secretly searched his police car for evidence in the killings."

In the years since the killings, the Suffolk Police Department destroyed the wood chips collected from both crime scenes, without ever photographing them. The department also destroyed wood shavings collected from the police car used by then-Sgt. Michael Murphy — since promoted to lieutenant — who was a suspect in the killings in 1998.

Keahon suggested in his opening statement that police did that to protect Murphy, who was the son of Thomas Murphy, the department’s chief of detectives at the time.

As for focusing on the gilgo 10, i feel like this is a misnomer perpetuated by the media's misunderstanding of this case and born from scpd's silence and denial. It's true the ten parts on Ocean Parkway all appear to be the work of one killer and the dismembered victims all follow the same same signature of separting body parts on different location on LI in order to hinder indentification. But in 2000 a male and female torso were clearly dumped at the same time and obviously these males hold a huge piece of the puzzle. Of course you won't read this on wikipedia.

This is Google's cache of http://www.doenetwork.org/media/news18.html.
      Jane and John Doe of Suffolk
      BY KENNY HERZOG
      The New Island Ear

Two bodies. Found two miles away from each other two years ago. No one knows who they were or where they came from.

On November 19th, 2000, hunters came across the decapitated body of a female that had been placed in garbage bags and left in a wooded area near Halsey-Manor Road in Manorville. Four days later and only a couple of miles away, a young male corpse was also discovered by hunters, approximately one-and-a-half miles east of the Shirley exit (68) on the Long Island Expressway. The man’s body, described as white or Hispanic, five-and-a-half to six feet tall, 130-150 pounds, with a surgical staple imbedded in his chin, was disrobed of all clothing save a pair of Gap boxer shorts. He was later revealed to have been a victim of strangulation. Both bodies were likely there for some time, particularly the female, who police believe was murdered as early as that September. Just over two years later, the victims still remain unidentified, and thus, the case has not even come close to being solved.

“Unfortunately, the investigation sort of starts and stops with the discovery of the bodies and the subsequent analysis—if there’s no way of identifying who that individual is,” says Detective/Lieutenant Jack Fitzpatrick, commanding officer for the homicide squad of the Suffolk County Police Department. “Some identification of who these people are will certainly give us an opportunity to backtrack and figure out what happened and why. Without identification, there’s not a lot to go on.”

While murder is not a common occurrence in the primarily tranquil territory surrounding Shirley and Manorville, the heavily wooded area near the highway could have made the ideal dumping grounds for someone who committed the crime outside of the region. “If you looked at this stretch of road, you might say, ‘Nobody will ever go there,’” says Fitzpatrick.

Fitzpatrick and the homicide department are not considering the possibility of a connection between the cases, including the chance of a serial killer roaming the South Shore.

The question then remains: What is being considered? In cases like this, while one would like to cling to the idea that someone out there is missing a loved one who disappeared without a trace, there are many instances of missing runaways, hitchhikers and even prostitutes who have no discernible ties to any families or friends. So when the search for them is silenced amongst possible family and the community, who is going to act as their voice?

At this point, the Suffolk County Police Department has continued to put out “Crimestopper” alerts and is offering a cash reward of up to $1,000 for any information that leads to an arrest (800-220-TIPS). Beyond that, they have essentially thrown up their hands (although Fitzpatrick is still withholding the image of a tattoo located on the female victim for verification purposes if they ever get a call through Crimestoppers). When asked if they have sought assistance through the Doe Network, a volunteer organization dedicated to unidentified victims’ cases, Fitzpatrick said, “We do that on occasion, but I think there’s less possibility here of success. It’s a time-consuming process. Usually, we just send them to the FBI.”

Todd Matthews, media director for the Doe Network, seemed a bit skeptical of this assertion, stating, “If the police want something left unexplained, then that’s fine. [But] we work with them. We could have it done this afternoon.” As long as the police provide a reconstructed image or picture of the victim, the Network’s Project EDAN (Everyone Deserves a Name) can create free facial reconstructions by professional forensic artists who donate their services to this cause (private investigators, medical examiners, journalists and police officers also donate their time). These images can be found on their website, www.doenetwork.org, which offers a worldwide forum to expand the search for anonymous victims. The Doe Network has had a hand in identifying three previously unidentified victims and has a database of more than 700 potential matches.

Granted, in instances such as the two in question, especially when a decapitation is involved (as with the female), that may be easier said than done. But within the cavalcade of cases that come into any police department, there is bound to be a constant re-prioritizing, with older, yet-unsolved cases probably finding their way to the bottom of the pile quick.

This is fairly alarming, considering that New York has the third-largest number of unidentified remains next to California and Florida. In fact, Matthews admitted that the Doe Network has “really not gotten a good response from New York,” adding that, “they’re telling me these cases are impossible, but they’re not. If they don’t have the resources, we’ll do it out of our pockets.”
      Thanks Rocky!
      at this point I'm keeping it simple and going to avoid conspiracy type stuff. This murphy cop suspect stuff is just way too much at this point. I mean sounds like he was using his power to get free blow jobs from prostitutes but that's a far cry from serial murder, as we know is the case with JB.

now what I find interesting about the two cases you point out-that stood out to me was that they were found near Manorville where JB lived and also both found by hunters! well that tells me that they were found by hunters because hunters know and frequent those areas. and JB was a well known hunter.

sounds to me like two more JB victims.
      "Is all that we see or seem
      but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

I never realized before that Murphy was stationed in Patchogue (where Tangredi was from and where she was found murdered) and the date of when the sex worker identified him coincides with the month the murders start. I wonder if Tangredi could have been one of the woman who he demanded free sex from.
        maybe it would best if you just lay out your whole theory now, cause I'm not really sure what your getting at.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
          maybe it would best if you just lay out your whole theory now, cause I'm not really sure what your getting at.
          I don't really have a theory about this it's just interesting why a police sgt was a suspect and how he's still part of scpd.

Comment

now what I find interesting about the two cases you point out-that stood out to me was that they were found near Manorville where JB lived and also both found by hunters! well that tells me that they were found by hunters because hunters know and frequent those areas. and JB was a well known hunter.

sounds to me like two more JB victims.
            Abby the female from the two cases in the article is Jane Doe 6

Comment

Also, The first (possible) victims of the dismemberment phase also happen to be the AC victims. So if they were JBs victims perhaps because of not being able to dismember because of a personal issues he follows raffo down there which precipitates the AC murders. Also AC is only a three hour drive.
              And since the crimes are not close to his home, he is less likely to come to the attention of the authorities. Makes sense to me.

His family saying that he had no connection with Atlantic City does not really carry much weight. Not because they'd lie (not everyone will) but because they simply would not know. How many kids sneak out of the house and back in without Mom and Dad ever knowing? JB would be even more secretive with this.

Comment

I don't really have a theory about this it's just interesting why a police sgt was a suspect and how he's still part of scpd.
                probably because he was involved with the prostitutes in a negative way and they complained about him. a lot how Leather apron became a suspect in the ripper case.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by curious View Post
                  And since the crimes are not close to his home, he is less likely to come to the attention of the authorities. Makes sense to me.

His family saying that he had no connection with Atlantic City does not really carry much weight. Not because they'd lie (not everyone will) but because they simply would not know. How many kids sneak out of the house and back in without Mom and Dad ever knowing? JB would be even more secretive with this.
                  plus he was a hunter-if he even had to explain his absence he could just say hes on a hunting trip. or say for work.

now that being said, out of all the possible victims of the LISK I find the AC victims the most unlikely.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

out of all the possible victims of the LISK I find the AC victims the most unlikely.
                    I do too, but it's been so long since I have even thought about this case, I really can't discuss it intelligently.

Comment

Originally posted by curious View Post
                      I do too, but it's been so long since I have even thought about this case, I really can't discuss it intelligently.
                      I know there’s so many victims and possible victims and twists and turns it’s very complicated! Dismembered body parts in different places, nondismemebered bodies, men, women, toddler, transvestites, 20 year span, police intrigue, politics, and the craziest thing is that the person that started the whole thing rolling was Shannon GILBERT who wasn’t even a LISK victim! But she may have been murdered, by someone in the little neighborhood she was in, so there’s that whole sub mystery.

Crazy case. But IMHO its just a matter of time before they are able to link Bitrolff to the others. How many is the question, at least for me.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

I know there’s so many victims and possible victims and twists and turns it’s very complicated! Dismembered body parts in different places, nondismemebered bodies, men, women, toddler, transvestites, 20 year span, police intrigue, politics, and the craziest thing is that the person that started the whole thing rolling was Shannon GILBERT who wasn’t even a LISK victim! But she may have been murdered, by someone in the little neighborhood she was in, so there’s that whole sub mystery.

Crazy case. But IMHO its just a matter of time before they are able to link Bitrolff to the others. How many is the question, at least for me.
                        How much time? He was arrested in 2014 and they barely convicted him. You know it was a hung jury and almost a mistrial? Abby are you aware that for years SCPD claimed they had eliminated Bittrolff as LISK?

"They also eliminated John Bittrolff, 48, a carpenter from Manorville, LI, who in July was charged with strangling two prostitutes 20 years ago and dumping their naked bodies in the woods near the Long Island Expressway. He’s pleaded not guilty in that case. Cops say he’s suspected in a third murder but not in the Gilgo case, though they have not revealed the exculpatory evidence." https://nypost.com/2015/01/03/4-year...-beach-killer/

There may be something SCPD knows that rules out Bittrolff as LISK. I think Biancaville's statement about Bittrolff is more politically motivated then anything. Spota's out, Biancaville is getting his name out there telling the people what they want here. I'd be willing to bet that Biancaville is far less acquainted with the details of the LISK case then you think. It was a statement for the press.

I'm not saying Bittrolff isn't the LISK, but remember SCPD claimed to eliminate him. Don't forget what SCPD. You literally cannot trust a single word they say ever and need to decide for yourself. One thing I will say, when Bittrolff was arrested, before it hit the news, we heard that an SCPD cop had contacted Megan Waterman's family and told them there was an arrest about to be announced in cold serial killing case on LI. He wanted her to know it was not related to Megan's case.

Comment

How much time? He was arrested in 2014 and they barely convicted him. You know it was a hung jury and almost a mistrial? Abby are you aware that for years SCPD claimed they had eliminated Bittrolff as LISK?

"They also eliminated John Bittrolff, 48, a carpenter from Manorville, LI, who in July was charged with strangling two prostitutes 20 years ago and dumping their naked bodies in the woods near the Long Island Expressway. He’s pleaded not guilty in that case. Cops say he’s suspected in a third murder but not in the Gilgo case, though they have not revealed the exculpatory evidence." https://nypost.com/2015/01/03/4-year...-beach-killer/

There may be something SCPD knows that rules out Bittrolff as LISK. I think Biancaville's statement about Bittrolff is more politically motivated then anything. Spota's out, Biancaville is getting his name out there telling the people what they want here. I'd be willing to bet that Biancaville is far less acquainted with the details of the LISK case then you think. It was a statement for the press.

I'm not saying Bittrolff isn't the LISK, but remember SCPD claimed to eliminate him. Don't forget what SCPD. You literally cannot trust a single word they say ever and need to decide for yourself. One thing I will say, when Bittrolff was arrested, before it hit the news, we heard that an SCPD cop had contacted Megan Waterman's family and told them there was an arrest about to be announced in cold serial killing case on LI. He wanted her to know it was not related to Megan's case.
                          Thanks rocky. I don’t realize all this intrigue was going on.

But didn’t you say that when JB was being questioned and found out the dna on the victims he was convicted of was traced to him through his brother he exclaimed I knew it! ??

And of course then wasn’t it his dna found on the bodies?

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Thanks rocky. I don’t realize all this intrigue was going on.

But didn’t you say that when JB was being questioned and found out the dna on the victims he was convicted of was traced to him through his brother he exclaimed I knew it! ??

And of course then wasn’t it his dna found on the bodies?
                            Yes Abby that is correct.

"The detective said he explained to Bittrolff that DNA from his younger brother, Timothy, was found to be a partial match to the evidence from the victims’ bodies. Timothy’s DNA was entered into a state database after he was convicted of criminal contempt.

Detectives then followed John Bittrolff and went through his garbage until they found DNA matching the semen.

“I [expletive] knew it. I [expletive] knew it,” Bittrolff responded, according to McLeer."

^newsday

"“From day one, he knew we were following him,” Leser says.

John at one point stopped at a railroad crossing and just sat there until the detectives drove past. Another day saw him make a sudden right, then an immediate button hook.

“Evasive driving,” Leser says.

John is a carpenter, and when on a job he would seek a high vantage point.

“He’d stand up on the roof, looking for us,” Leser remembers."
                            https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-24...on-long-island

Comment

Yes Abby that is correct.

"The detective said he explained to Bittrolff that DNA from his younger brother, Timothy, was found to be a partial match to the evidence from the victims’ bodies. Timothy’s DNA was entered into a state database after he was convicted of criminal contempt.

Detectives then followed John Bittrolff and went through his garbage until they found DNA matching the semen.

“I [expletive] knew it. I [expletive] knew it,” Bittrolff responded, according to McLeer."

^newsday

"“From day one, he knew we were following him,” Leser says.

John at one point stopped at a railroad crossing and just sat there until the detectives drove past. Another day saw him make a sudden right, then an immediate button hook.

“Evasive driving,” Leser says.

John is a carpenter, and when on a job he would seek a high vantage point.

“He’d stand up on the roof, looking for us,” Leser remembers."
                              https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-24...on-long-island
                              And yet you still doubt JB killed those two prostitutes and that he was set up by police?

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

I didnt say that Abby I'm simply giving you all the facts I'm not sure we have the full picture. There could be others involved. He could be part of something. Its interesting Spota was so adamant he was not LISK. btw funny koz joke ha ha

Comment

Working...
                                X