Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 3 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by MysterySinger 3 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 3 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 4 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Abby Normal 4 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - (17 posts)
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - (11 posts)
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - (6 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Kosminski/Kaminsky - please debunk - (4 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - (2 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Tabbard Street East? - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > General Suspect Discussion

Old 12-06-2017, 02:16 PM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
Back in my younger days I knew a few drinkers who brought their own pewter mugs to the pub with them. Then there were other drinkers who kept their mugs at the pub.
The press accounts, including the court record, overwhelmingly all describe the mug as a "pot". Fewer accounts describe it as a "can".
Where the idea came from that it was a pail or bucket, is hard to guess.
So this "pot" may have been his, and may have (as you suggest) been quite empty.

All I can say to that is, you should try it sometime. See how far you get
You’re right. It was likely a pewter mug. But handy enough for all those semi-liquid bits&bobs.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:01 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Your brief outline might give the impression that Kennedy was a resident of Miller's Court. The reports (most probably derived from a single source) said that she went to stay with her parents in MC, not her "home" except in an indirect sense.
"Staying with her parents" may imply a temporary arrangement.
Perhaps Kennedy had left her husband to stay with her parents, or even Kennedy and her husband were both "staying with her parents".
The point is, Kennedy was living at Millers Court.
We have nothing to suggest otherwise.

Lewis was making a late night visit to her friend, which may indicate Lewis knew when her friend Kennedy would be expected home.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:14 PM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
Lewis was making a late night visit to her friend, which may indicate Lewis knew when her friend Kennedy would be expected home.
Such foreknowledge might have come in handy, as it would have enabled Lewis to plan to leave enough space for her friend to occupy on the Keylers/Gallaghers' floor

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 12-06-2017, 03:43 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert St Devil View Post
I want Taylor to have seen Jack just like I want this guy to be Blotchy. Then I could follow his course on a map in the hours after the Chapman murder. Other reports of "Jack" getting a drink at a pub or coffee stall around the times of the murders bolster the idea that he could have visited Fiddymont's. In the Star report, Mrs Fiddymont claims the shirt was ripped; isn't this the case where some clothes were left in a wastebin? Or someone buys a shirt??.
Hi Robert

What are some of the other sightings of Jack or Blotchy that you were thinking of ?

All the best
Craig
Old 12-06-2017, 04:08 PM
Sergeant

In trying to reconcile the first two articles posted here, I wonder if the press mixed up Hutchinson's man with Cox's man. If so, it looks like it could be the same man with the blotchy face and carroty moustache. Also, if by chance, he is in fact THE blotchy man, he appears to be heading toward the west, possibly Battersea. Queen Victoria Street is down near the Fleet Street and Ludgate Hill area. All three of these clips seem to be speaking of the same man, to me anyways.

Evening News
London, U.K.
16 November 1888

At about ten o'clock this morning, a man answering every description to the particulars furnished to the police by G. Hutchinson, as seen by him on the night of the murder of the woman Kelly, attracted attention in Queen Victoria-street, Blackfriars. Finding himself being watched, he immediately hurried his footsteps, and without giving time for any action to be taken, entered the Underground Railway station near by, and escaped.

The Echo 17 Nov 1888

There is some news this morning, however, of the man "with the blotchy face and carroty moustache," He is averred to have been seen at a late hour, yesterday, in Battersea Park Road, at a period subsequent to that in which he is said to have been seen in Queen Victoria Street. The police were at once on the alert, but without any result.

Evening News
London, U.K.
16 November 1888

The police at Battersea are in search of a man who is stated to answer to the description of the man wanted for the murder of Mary Jane Kelly. He was seen under somewhat singular circumstances yesterday afternoon. He entered a coffee-house in that neighbourhood, and displayed some hair, which is stated to have been human, with congealed blood attached. No one thought to detain him, but information was subsequently given to the police. It is understood that he left the hair behind him.

Last edited by jerryd : 12-06-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:51 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert St Devil View Post
In the Star report, Mrs Fiddymont claims the shirt was ripped; isn't this the case where some clothes were left in a wastebin? Or someone buys a shirt??
On September 8th, 1888 a man left some clothes in the bathroom of the Central News Offices. These offices were a few blocks from the Blackfriars Underground Railway Station. (see my last post regarding the underground station)
Old 12-06-2017, 06:46 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryd View Post
In trying to reconcile the first two articles posted here, I wonder if the press mixed up Hutchinson's man with Cox's man. If so, it looks like it could be the same man with the blotchy face and carroty moustache. Also, if by chance, he is in fact THE blotchy man, he appears to be heading toward the west, possibly Battersea. Queen Victoria Street is down near the Fleet Street and Ludgate Hill area. All three of these clips seem to be speaking of the same man, to me anyways.

Evening News
London, U.K.
16 November 1888

At about ten o'clock this morning, a man answering every description to the particulars furnished to the police by G. Hutchinson, as seen by him on the night of the murder of the woman Kelly, attracted attention in Queen Victoria-street, Blackfriars. Finding himself being watched, he immediately hurried his footsteps, and without giving time for any action to be taken, entered the Underground Railway station near by, and escaped.

The Echo 17 Nov 1888

There is some news this morning, however, of the man "with the blotchy face and carroty moustache," He is averred to have been seen at a late hour, yesterday, in Battersea Park Road, at a period subsequent to that in which he is said to have been seen in Queen Victoria Street. The police were at once on the alert, but without any result.

Evening News
London, U.K.
16 November 1888

The police at Battersea are in search of a man who is stated to answer to the description of the man wanted for the murder of Mary Jane Kelly. He was seen under somewhat singular circumstances yesterday afternoon. He entered a coffee-house in that neighbourhood, and displayed some hair, which is stated to have been human, with congealed blood attached. No one thought to detain him, but information was subsequently given to the police. It is understood that he left the hair behind him.
Wow possible Jack the Ripper DNA in Blotchy man's hair with MJK's coagulated blood? Was this actually in the case files? Surprised nobody's pulled that out of an old trunk in the attack.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:52 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockySullivan View Post
Wow possible Jack the Ripper DNA in Blotchy man's hair with MJK's coagulated blood? Was this actually in the case files? Surprised nobody's pulled that out of an old trunk in the attack.
I haven't seen it in an official file. Just these news accounts that have been posted before, by the way. i just noticed today these three accounts were very similar and dated within a day of each other. I'm usually a little behind the crowd on my observations, though.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:24 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryd View Post
I haven't seen it in an official file. Just these news accounts that have been posted before, by the way. i just noticed today these three accounts were very similar and dated within a day of each other. I'm usually a little behind the crowd on my observations, though.
I'll say just kidding of course. My favorite is the theory that Mary's killer hid in a tiny coal room underneath the wall. Outside the box