Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 3 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by MysterySinger 3 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 4 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 4 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Abby Normal 4 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - (17 posts)
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - (11 posts)
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - (6 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Kosminski/Kaminsky - please debunk - (4 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - (2 posts)
Non-Fiction: Elizabeth Stride and Jack the Ripper: The Life and Death of the Reputed Third Victim. - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Victims > Mary Jane Kelly

Old 11-20-2017, 09:24 PM
Sergeant

Hi Jon.

Would you consider placement? Considering that the organs were placed between/around the legs, it's possible that Jack had already positioned her legs and feet (as they were found), and was cutting/denuding what was accessible to him from standing on that side of the bed. Maybe denuding below the knee would have meant lifting or shifting her leg. (Of the opinion he cut her legs last.)

Another thought. Are the abrasions on the back of her hand similar to the marks found on the other women's hands?
Old 11-21-2017, 05:17 AM
Inspector

Hello Robert!

One more thing; if we believe 'Murder, oh, murder...' was Mary's faint cry, can we ever conclude or even guess at which stage her nemesis was with his deeds?

All the best
Jukka
Old 11-21-2017, 05:50 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.r-ahde View Post
Hello Robert!

One more thing; if we believe 'Murder, oh, murder...' was Mary's faint cry, can we ever conclude or even guess at which stage her nemesis was with his deeds?

All the best
Jukka
Hi J

I would venture it was about when he placed the sheet over her head and just started the attack.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:39 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
"Intent", is hardly hidden meaning, or symbolism. All we are looking at is a partial defleshing, or excarnation of the corpse.
Even if we say "for fun" (due to the lack of any real choices), why stop doing something that he is getting 'fun' out of?

The question remains.
The question is a useless one, the fact is he stopped...whether he was bored, tired, confused, ....its not relevant. The fact he didn't take what was taken twice before, is.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:09 AM
Sergeant

Hello Jukka.

I'm guessing that you are asking where Jack was with his assault IF Mary did in fact call out "Oh murder!". I don't know how you consider the canonical murders w/ relation to the Whitechapel killer; however, there is the consideration of the reports that Annie Chapman cried out "no" and Elizabeth may have softly cried out for "help", and these cries supposedly came near the beginning of the attack (as expected). I heavily consider strangulation in these cases as a precursor to his mutilations.

I've been wondering about the bedside table, Jukka, and whether it had been moved. It would seem that it would have been easier to mutilate her face if it was not in the way, would be easier to shift her body from the right side of the bed to the middle, easier to lift and place organs under her head without reaching across. I've been sequencing it such that: 1) he cut her face and body, placing the organs about her body; and then, 2) he moved the table against the bed and cut her legs.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:43 PM
Assistant Commissioner

"The question is a useless one, the fact is he stopped...whether he was bored, tired, confused, ....its not relevant. The fact he didn't take what was taken twice before, is."

Hello Michael,

I really don't see how that is significant or how we can reasonably speculate why. It seems reasonable to me that collectors want what they don't have more than obtaining more of what they do have.

c.d.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:39 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.d. View Post
"The question is a useless one, the fact is he stopped...whether he was bored, tired, confused, ....its not relevant. The fact he didn't take what was taken twice before, is."

Hello Michael,

I really don't see how that is significant or how we can reasonably speculate why. It seems reasonable to me that collectors want what they don't have more than obtaining more of what they do have.

c.d.
Had Polly not had her abdomen opened, or had Annie not had her abdomen opened and the uterus taken, or had Kate not had her abdomen opened and a partial uterus taken, I might agree cd. It seems to me however that the victims I mentioned had killers who were obsessed with abdominal cutting, and this resulted in the same organ being taken from 2 of the three. The chest area of the victim was never attacked until Mary Kelly.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:47 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W Richards View Post
The chest area of the victim was never attacked until Mary Kelly.
Not so, Michael.
See Eddowes
Old 11-22-2017, 07:15 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W Richards View Post
The question is a useless one, the fact is he stopped...whether he was bored, tired, confused, ....its not relevant. The fact he didn't take what was taken twice before, is.
I would say both questions are highly relevant, Michael. And I would add that the best answer we can provide is the exact same to both questions; why he did not take the uterus with him and why he cut down to the bone at the thigh in one space only to leave the rest of the flesh on the bone:
Because this was what he WANTED to do.

He WANTED to cut to the bone in one space only on that thigh and he WANTED to leave the uterus with the body (albeit on itīs outside).

We should not loose track of this possibility. We know that the killer seemingly had a good lot of time on his hands, we have no record of anybody disturbing him in his work, and so it must always be a very viable guess that he did all he wanted to and could do, and chose to leave the body afterwards. Job done, everything finished, nothing left to take care of.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:20 AM
Sergeant

Hello Fisherman.

Considering the condition in which he left the remains of her corpse, it is difficult to imagine that there would be much more to accomplish (or desecrate). I'm noting that he did not remove Mary Jane's head from her body (even tho he had ample opportunity), which I believe resolves any lingering question of whether total decapitation was ever part of his original intent. I'm guessing, it's possible that he did not want to risk damaging his blade by cutting into bone.