Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by etenguy View Post
    You may be right, or the frenzy of stabbing may have been the result of a growing dissatisfaction within him ending by killing her with a longer bladed knife out of frustration. Hence stabbing was not part of his on-going method.

The majority opinion agrees with you, hence Martha Tabram is not included in the canon. However, I am struck by all the other similarities and find it difficult to dismiss her as a potential ripper victim.
    Hi eten
    For me it all fits together that she was a ripper victim. An early botched attempt with a clasp/pen knife on mill wood who survived. The killer realizes he needs a bigger knife so next time brings it with him. In the heat of the moment attack on tab ram he uses the first smaller knife out of habit and then finishes her off with the larger knife.

However, this attack, though killing the victim was too sloppy and inefficient and not really what he wanted. So in thinking how to kill more quickly and quietly he devises another plan which he uses on his next victim.

Typical of serial killers early clumsy attempts which they refine as they progress to their mature MO.

And then you add in all the other factors-same victimolgy, same area, same time frame, the overkill,and the clincher for me-The victim found on her back with the skirt raised to expose the abdomen, like the others.

It all fits. She was killed by the ripper.
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
      Hi eten
      For me it all fits together that she was a ripper victim. An early botched attempt with a clasp/pen knife on mill wood who survived. The killer realizes he needs a bigger knife so next time brings it with him. In the heat of the moment attack on tab ram he uses the first smaller knife out of habit and then finishes her off with the larger knife.

However, this attack, though killing the victim was too sloppy and inefficient and not really what he wanted. So in thinking how to kill more quickly and quietly he devises another plan which he uses on his next victim.

Typical of serial killers early clumsy attempts which they refine as they progress to their mature MO.

And then you add in all the other factors-same victimolgy, same area, same time frame, the overkill,and the clincher for me-The victim found on her back with the skirt raised to expose the abdomen, like the others.

It all fits. She was killed by the ripper.
      Abby

While I am still open on Tabram, you make good points, particularly the signature raised skirts.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
        While I am still open on Tabram, you make good points, particularly the signature raised skirts.
        I don't see much evidence of the Ripper's signature in that, with Tabram, there were multiple - indeed, umpteen - stabs, but no cuts. Furthermore, most of those stabs were aimed at the stomach, chest and neck, with her lower abdomen comparatively unscathed.

As to skirts, she was a prostitute who had presumably been serving her client, so her skirt could well have been lifted with that purpose in mind. This may have been the case with some of the Canonical victims, but it's arguably more likely that their skirts were lifted to facilitate the long cuts to their lower abdomens, the evisceration and removal of organs - neither of which remotely featured in Tabram's murder.

If there are signatures here, they're very, very different ones.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
          I get the distinct impression that Tabram's killer "enjoyed" stabbing her, somehow. Given the sheer number of stabs, he must have been on some kind of a high as he did it, and/or in the aftermath. I can't quite imagine someone coming down from that to being satisfied with a few cuts (however severe) and NO stabs to speak of.
          Catherine Eddowes was stabbed in the groin as was Nichols according to Spratling. In Nichols' case some of the cuts may have started as stabs, then dragging the blade down.

With the exception of Elizabeth Stride, all of the victims from Smith to McKenzie suffered trauma to the genital area. Considering the unprecedented nature of this has to be significant along with the fact that not a single individual was ever apprehended for even one atrocity.
          Best Wishes,
          Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
            Catherine Eddowes was stabbed in the groin as was Nichols according to Spratling.
            Only another 35-plus stabs, most of them to the upper body, and we might have a case for comparison with Tabram. As it is, the resemblance is tenuous at best.
            In Nichols' case some of the cuts may have started as stabs, then dragging the blade down.
            Many, if not most, cuts require the blade to puncture the skin, but that doesn't make them stabs. Stabs just puncture the skin and come perpendicularly back out, which is what happened to Tabram, unequivocally, 39 times over.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Only another 35-plus stabs, most of them to the upper body, and we might have a case for comparison with Tabram. As it is, the resemblance is tenuous at best.
              Many, if not most, cuts require the blade to puncture the skin, but that doesn't make them stabs. Stabs just puncture the skin and come perpendicularly back out, which is what happened to Tabram, unequivocally, 39 times over.
              The knife that caused the many small wounds will have been a small knife, possibly with a small handle and a shortish blade.
              That kind of knife lends itself poorly to making the kind of cuts that were made to the victims from Polly Nichols and onwards.

Maybe that is the easy explanation. Maybe the killer wanted to get at the inside of Tabram, but settled for doing so by means of stabs only, since the knife did not lend itself to cutting and opening the abdomen.

One may of course argue that a larger dagger was also used, but A/ we don´t know if the same man used both weapons, and B/ if it was just the one man, he may not have fixed his intentions other than to a low level; knife-abdomen-get into. Equally, C/ the sternum weapon can have been rather a blunt and sturdy blade, unsuited for amateur surgery too.

If the killer had had a long, razorsharp, narrow and more flexible blade à la the Chapman weapon, then maybe Tabram would have lost an organ or two. There is no knowing.

I think the geographical location, Tabrams prostitution, the silence of the deed, the raised skirt, the clenched hands of Tabram and the overall timing mean that the Ripper must be a hot lead in the case.

Comment

I don't see much evidence of the Ripper's signature in that, with Tabram, there were multiple - indeed, umpteen - stabs, but no cuts. Furthermore, most of those stabs were aimed at the stomach, chest and neck, with her lower abdomen comparatively unscathed.

As to skirts, she was a prostitute who had presumably been serving her client, so her skirt could well have been lifted with that purpose in mind. This may have been the case with some of the Canonical victims, but it's arguably more likely that their skirts were lifted to facilitate the long cuts to their lower abdomens, the evisceration and removal of organs - neither of which remotely featured in Tabram's murder.

If there are signatures here, they're very, very different ones.
                Hi Sam
                Yes there really isn’t the same sig, I agree. The only possible comparison would be overkill vis knife perhaps.

However, that being said, if she was his first kill, he may have still been working out what was his true intention would be (sig) and how best to go about it (mo).however, she did have some stabs to the privates, so perhaps early sign of interest in that area.
                But I totally see what your saying, on the surface it does apear different.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Don't really think the raised skirts can be considered a definite signature element. Surely any woman killed under these circumstances is going to be in a state of dishevelment.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                    Don't really think the raised skirts can be considered a definite signature element. Surely any woman killed under these circumstances is going to be in a state of dishevelment.
                    Indeed, Harry.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Well it’s indicative of sig as it shows a desire to expose the area of focus.
                      And even throwing SIG out altogether it’s a similarity, and a quirky one at that, with the other ripper victims.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

If the similarities really were only tenuous at best, Martha Tabram's murder would not have been the more difficult of the Whitechapel murders to discount from the Ripper canon. There are a number of potential explanations for the move on from stabbing to cutting. Clearly you do not find these compelling. On their own, they may not be, but when added with all the other similarities to the canon ripper murders (I won't list all of them again), a strong link exists.

Indeed, and only one cut in the groin area in the case of Martha Tabram.

Comment

Originally posted by etenguy View Post
                          If the similarities really were only tenuous at best, Martha Tabram's murder would not have been the more difficult of the Whitechapel murders to discount from the Ripper canon. There are a number of potential explanations for the move on from stabbing to cutting. Clearly you do not find these compelling. On their own, they may not be, but when added with all the other similarities to the canon ripper murders (I won't list all of them again), a strong link exists.

Indeed, and only one cut in the groin area in the case of Martha Tabram.
                          Hi Eten
                          I think what also gets lost in the mix is that the number of ripper victims varied amongst the police. and some thought tabram was a ripper victim. I think the MM gets a little to entrenched in peoples minds. and from a dude who wasn't even in his position at the time, and lists a "suspect" who was in jail in france at the time. IMHO these after the fact opinions by the senior police need to be taken with a pinch of salt sometimes.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Hi again Harry.

why? why would someone stabbed to death or slashed to death be found with their skirt raised that high? "dishevelment" ?

unless they were killed while standing on their heads of course ; )

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Abby

Would you still consider Tabram a Ripper victim if she had been killed after Annie Chapman ?

Just wondering

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
                                Abby

Would you still consider Tabram a Ripper victim if she had been killed after Annie Chapman ?

Just wondering
                                hi Jon
                                that's a great question. probably not as much as his mature MO/sig had been established by then. but if she still had the raised skirt and all else was the same I would probably still be above 505/50 that she was.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Working...
                                X