Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 7 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 11 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by MysterySinger 11 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 11 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 12 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - (18 posts)
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - (6 posts)
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - (5 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - (1 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Tabbard Street East? - (1 posts)
Non-Fiction: Elizabeth Stride and Jack the Ripper: The Life and Death of the Reputed Third Victim. - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Motive, Method and Madness

Old 11-18-2017, 03:20 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockySullivan View Post
jerry it matches how the killer seemed to like to dump over railings. my london geography is terrible but it looks like this was near to the 83 tottenham torso?
Yes, it was in the vicinity of Charles LeGrand's one time residence on Charlotte Street and the house on Cleveland Street where Charles Hammond was running his male brothel. It was also close to Fitzroy Square where a part of the Tottenham torso was deposited.

Quote:
Why would the bloody clothes be dumped over the railings rather than thrown in the trash, they were in a brown paper parcel after all? i'm not sure i'm aware of what the london garbage system was like
Good question.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:30 PM
Chief Inspector

where there ever any male dismembered victims in London between say 1870 and 1900?
Old 11-18-2017, 05:15 PM
Casebook Supporter

It would be better, perhaps, if we referred specifically to the "Tottenham Court Road" torso, rather than the "Tottenham" torso. There's quite a difference - Tottenham Court Road being in postal area W1, and Tottenham out in the sticks in N17. I know, because I've lived in both post-codes: North Row and Grafton Way (W1) and Scales Road (N17)... there's quite a hike between them

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 11-18-2017, 06:59 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
Not judging Bundy by the cover was always a very good idea...

What I am after is how we sometimes have a propensity to make shining heroes of abominable people, Abby.
I don’t

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 11-18-2017, 07:51 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
It would be better, perhaps, if we referred specifically to the "Tottenham Court Road" torso, rather than the "Tottenham" torso. There's quite a difference - Tottenham Court Road being in postal area W1, and Tottenham out in the sticks in N17. I know, because I've lived in both post-codes: North Row and Grafton Way (W1) and Scales Road (N17)... there's quite a hike between them
Yes that's why I included the year '83 to distinguish. but thank you for clarifying, its helpful to have someone here who knows the geography so well.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:00 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryd View Post
Yes, it was in the vicinity of Charles LeGrand's one time residence on Charlotte Street and the house on Cleveland Street where Charles Hammond was running his male brothel. It was also close to Fitzroy Square where a part of the Tottenham torso was deposited.

Good question.
Hm perhaps he thought the parcel wouldn't be found there? I imagine he might have been worried the clothes could be traced back to him, but if he wanted to could he have thrown it away in a public trash can? the body parts meager found, were they dumped into a trash bin he emptied into his cart? if so perhaps the killer was avoiding trash bins? again it all goes back to my point of how hard it was to make things disappear in London.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:15 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Hm perhaps he thought the parcel wouldn't be found there? I imagine he might have been worried the clothes could be traced back to him, but if he wanted to could he have thrown it away in a public trash can? the body parts meager found, were they dumped into a trash bin he emptied into his cart? if so perhaps the killer was avoiding trash bins? again it all goes back to my point of how hard it was to make things disappear in London.
The interesting thing about this set of clothes is they were underclothes and drab in color. Then thrown in were a collar and cuffs. The collar and cuffs seem like addons to an outfit. Like a disguise. And it's almost like whoever owned these underclothes was down to his skivvies when he got blood all over them.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:58 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryd View Post
The interesting thing about this set of clothes is they were underclothes and drab in color. Then thrown in were a collar and cuffs. The collar and cuffs seem like addons to an outfit. Like a disguise. And it's almost like whoever owned these underclothes was down to his skivvies when he got blood all over them.
So he gets the victim in an intimate situation, kills them and then immediately goes to work on dismembering them, like Mary Kelly? was the victim killed nearby? were the clothes dumped the same time?

Last edited by RockySullivan : 11-18-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:07 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Yes that's why I included the year '83 to distinguish. but thank you for clarifying, its helpful to have someone here who knows the geography so well.
I meant 1884 here
Old 11-19-2017, 01:01 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
I don’t
I wouldn´t propose to know whether you do or whether you don´t, Abby, and I wasn´t referring to you in any way. I was pointing to how media has a propensity to give names to serial killers that sound as if they came from some of the Avengers movies, how they describe them as criminal masterminds and how the general public (understandably) follow suit.

That´s what I don´t like.