Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by caz 23 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by caz 34 minutes ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - by RockySullivan 45 minutes ago.
Non-Fiction: Elizabeth Stride and Jack the Ripper: The Life and Death of the Reputed Third Victim. - by The Station Cat 1 hour and 27 minutes ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - by Abby Normal 2 hours ago.
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - by John Malcolm 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - (9 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - (2 posts)
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - (2 posts)
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - (1 posts)
Non-Fiction: Elizabeth Stride and Jack the Ripper: The Life and Death of the Reputed Third Victim. - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Witnesses

Old 11-13-2017, 06:09 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W Richards View Post
I think the bayonet was suggested because it may have been broader, studier and double edged. Many bayonets of the period were.
My reading of the evidence is that it is insufficient to conclude a bayonet was used in the stabbing of Martha Tabram.

The soldier as murderer conclusion, while possible, is also uncertain. The only evidence is that one (might I suggest unreliable) witness states Martha was with a soldier much earlier that night and a policeman who challenged a soldier close to the murder scene was told he was waiting for a chum who had gone with a girl. This soldier was early to mid 20s. Describing Martha Tabram as a girl might have been a stretch.

Whether Martha had been drinking with Pearly poll and soldiers earlier or not, and whether Martha had entertained a soldier's friend during the evening, or not. There is no evidence either was the killer.

I am more convinced by Abby's argument that this was an early murder of the ripper, for the reasons she has provided. It would fit with the escalation and refinement of technique and MO as the ripper murders progressed.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:51 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
The early morning Tabram was murdered, a patrolling beat officer, PC Thomas Barrett, questioned a grenadier loitering nearby, who replied that he was waiting for a friend.

Killeen said that a wound on her sternum appeared to have been inflicted by a dagger or bayonet.

Pearly Poll said Tabram was drinking with two soldiers and herself.

It seems thatís three corroborating accounts of a military connect.

PC Barrett
Dr. Killeen
Pearly Poll

How can all three be coincidentally mistaken/lying at the same time?
Barrett's speaking with a soldier has no direct bearing on the murder of Tabram at all, Killeen did not offer a bayonet as a likely murder weapon, and Pearly Poll's story doesn't hold up at all to scrutiny.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Old 11-17-2017, 07:04 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by etenguy View Post
My reading of the evidence is that it is insufficient to conclude a bayonet was used in the stabbing of Martha Tabram.

The soldier as murderer conclusion, while possible, is also uncertain. The only evidence is that one (might I suggest unreliable) witness states Martha was with a soldier much earlier that night and a policeman who challenged a soldier close to the murder scene was told he was waiting for a chum who had gone with a girl. This soldier was early to mid 20s. Describing Martha Tabram as a girl might have been a stretch.

Whether Martha had been drinking with Pearly poll and soldiers earlier or not, and whether Martha had entertained a soldier's friend during the evening, or not. There is no evidence either was the killer.

I am more convinced by Abby's argument that this was an early murder of the ripper, for the reasons she has provided. It would fit with the escalation and refinement of technique and MO as the ripper murders progressed.
Thanks eten, however, it still dosnt rule out a "soldier". the soldier could have been the ripper. I'm about 50/50 on whether it was a soldier/ripper or just the ripper (not a soldier) who came upon her after her fun with the soldiers, indeed if she even was with soldiers that night.

and fyi-I'm a dude

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 11-17-2017, 07:04 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
Barrett's speaking with a soldier has no direct bearing on the murder of Tabram at all, Killeen did not offer a bayonet as a likely murder weapon, and Pearly Poll's story doesn't hold up at all to scrutiny.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Hi Tom
good to see you again : )

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 11-17-2017, 09:04 AM
Sergeant

Default Published: Saturday 09 October 1869 Newspaper: Globe

Has this been seen before?
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2017, 12:11 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Has this been seen before?
I have seen it, or similar before, but Iím not sure it was here or another place.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:23 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Wescott View Post

Tom Wescott
Thought I'd mention I found your book most interesting.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:23 PM
Commisioner

Paddy, yes, that's been seen before. It has nothing to do with 'our' Martha Tabram.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Old 11-17-2017, 02:26 PM
Commisioner

Hi Abby, good to see you as well!

Etenguy, thanks for saying that. In my book I quote a police document suggesting it was not believed a bayonet had anything to do with the murder. In fact, if you study the literature at the time, it's clear a bayonet was only suggested because of idea that soldier had killed Tabram. Tabram was not seen in the company of a soldier that night. She may have been murdered by a soldier, or a baker, a doctor, take your pick. But there's nothing in evidence to compel that a soldier be given any special consideration. This is why by the time of Polly Nichols murder, the soldier theory was dead in the water.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Old 11-17-2017, 02:36 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by etenguy View Post

You don't have to conclude it was a bayonet, you only have to follow Killeen's description of the weapon as a "dagger". Something, which in length and breadth, can be very similar to bayonets of the period.

The evidence suggests that she was killed with 2 weapons, one considerably smaller used in all but one wound. That doesn't suggest 1 man switching blades, that suggests a second person with a larger blade. The evidence of the soldiers is only relevant in that soldiers, and perhaps other men, were travelling in pairs that night. And the Bank Holiday allowed them to carry weapons that were dagger sized on their person.

Since only soldiers were allowed to carry those large bladed instruments openly on the street that night, and since we know soldiers were travelling in pairs that night, due to the soldier waiting for a mate, and since we have murder evidence that suggests 2 men and 1 larger sized blade, then its not too hard to connect the dots. For some.