Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - by Hunter 9 minutes ago.
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - by ChrisGeorge 12 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - by Sam Flynn 23 minutes ago.
Elizabeth Stride: Elizabeth's murder and the double event - by DJA 33 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - by Elamarna 57 minutes ago.
Witnesses: The Bucks Row Project part 2 - by Elamarna 1 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (13 posts)
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - (8 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: Elizabeth's murder and the double event - (3 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Was Ernest Dowson Jack the Ripper? - (2 posts)
General Discussion: Albert Backert - did he emigrate? - (2 posts)
Thompson, Francis: Francis Thompson. The Perfect Suspect. - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Motive, Method and Madness

Old 10-23-2017, 05:19 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryd View Post
Hey Rocky,

Well, a lot of it is based on witness information some people don't give much credit to. Packer's story of the killer living in close vicinity (Batty Street area) and the supposed attack on him for stating he thought he knew where the killer lived. Then of course the statements of Israel Schwartz. Particularly the Lipski reference, for two reasons. Rose and Philip Lipski were the actual landlords of the house (16, Batty Street) where Miriam Angel was murdered in 1887. Stride performed work for the Jews and I'm wondering if she may have worked for the Lipski's in nearby Batty Street. Also in regard to Lipski and the Pinchin torso. Somebody had chalked the word "Lipski" opposite the wall where the torso was found. So there may be a Lipski reference in both murders and I don't think it was referring to a derogative name calling or even the hanged murderer. I think whomever yelled Lipski, was calling out to Philip Lipski or warning him.

As a side note: Israel Schwartz was said to have a theatrical appearance, or something to that effect. Philip Lipski was known to frequent the Hebrew Dramatic Club on Princelet Street which employed Yddish actors.
Thanks I have always been intrigued by the two guys from lipski case Something & Rosensomething
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:13 PM
Chief Inspector

Harry Schmuss and Henry Rosenbloom

Last edited by RockySullivan : 10-23-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:17 PM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockySullivan View Post
Thanks I have always been intrigued by the two guys from lipski case Something & Rosensomething
Rosenbloom and Schmuss.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 10-23-2017, 11:31 PM
Chief Inspector

This was from Lipski's confession: I solemnly declare that Rosenbloom and Schmuss know nothing whatever of the crime of which I have been guilty, and I alone. I implore them to pardon me for having in my despair tried to cast the blame upon them

jerry interesting suggestion that the killer may have been shouting Lipski to Liz Stride.

Last edited by RockySullivan : 10-23-2017 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:32 PM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Interesting theory, is there anything on that block that makes you curious? She couldn't have been dragged too far
Agreed.
I don't see the torso killers working in this manner. In the days before fast private transport, forcibly dragging a woman off the street and transporting her on foot to her place of death would be a very impractical, and easily detectable, method of acquiring a victim. Difficult to imagine anyone getting away with that tactic once, let alone four times.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 10-24-2017, 12:34 AM
Chief Inspector

One thing that seems certain to me is that the Ripper was a street rat. He might have been spent a lot of time on street during the day. Like John Arnold, George Hutchinson, etc. Where did Lipski and his two employees sell umbrellas?
Old 10-24-2017, 01:24 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
One thing that seems certain to me is that the Ripper was a street rat. He might have been spent a lot of time on street during the day. Like John Arnold, George Hutchinson, etc. Where did Lipski and his two employees sell umbrellas?
Wherever they sold them they had some interesting customers !

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2017, 03:09 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
I'm not sure if the low risk or high risk thing is even viable. Both took incredibly high risks.
Still, I think the Ripper clearly took higher risks than the one responsible for the torsos, but perhaps I should have worded it differently, Abby. However, I’m sure it’s an important difference.

The one responsible for the torsos was not just much more in control of himself than the Ripper in that he only killed once every couple of years (on average), he was also willing to take his time with each victim, to invest time in his murders. He was patient & elaborate, if you will, and thought out well how he would go about things. The Ripper murders have nothing of that in them.

This man could have killed and mutilated out in the streets like the Ripper and he could have done so every couple of weeks, but he chose not to. That he chose a very different approach should mean something and to me, at least, it does.
Quote:
but regardless, serial killers MO changes, sometimes drastically, its well known.
But not from “patient & well thought out” to “a burst of quick fixes” and back to “patient & well thought out” again. That’s not well known at all, as far as I know.
Quote:
need to really focus on the sig, which in both cases is mainly post mortem mutilation and removal of body parts.
If you can give me an example of one serial killer with approaches as different as “torso man” and the Ripper and with one interplaced in the other, I would probably agree with you on this, Abby.

All the best,
Frank
Old 10-24-2017, 03:15 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
You have to ask yourself this question, if there ever had been a serial killer, and he had lured these women to a private place where he committed murder, and then needed to dispose of the body by dismemberment, something that could have been done easily by removing arms legs,head, and the trunk. Why the need to cut open the abdomen? This make the disposable more complicated and
very messy.
Because that was part of the killer's paraphilia. For the Ripper & Torso killer(s) these mutilations fulfilled some fetishistic purpose. The Torso Killer slayed his victims in private, mutilated them and then disposed of the body parts accordingly, whereas the Ripper killed on the spot and left his victims splayed out on display. However, it appears that some of the torso parts were also left provocatively instead of discreetly dumped.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:34 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
Because that was part of the killer's paraphilia. For the Ripper & Torso killer(s) these mutilations fulfilled some fetishistic purpose. The Torso Killer slayed his victims in private, mutilated them and then disposed of the body parts accordingly, whereas the Ripper killed on the spot and left his victims splayed out on display. However, it appears that some of the torso parts were also left provocatively instead of discreetly dumped.
With all the ramblings about a serial killer, you have to accept that firstly, if you dont have 3 or more murders, which can be conclusively be linked by identifiable and common traits then you dont have a serial killer.

Secondly and most importantly before you can say you have a serial killer or a murderer, you have to show that deaths were as a result of murder. In most of these cases you cannot do that, and it beggars belief that despite being told this, here you all are still referring to them in the same old way.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk