Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - by ChrisGeorge 2 hours ago.
Audio -- Visual: Mention of JtR in recent episode of "The Flash" - by Pcdunn 3 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: A theory about some injuries! - by Harry D 3 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: A theory about some injuries! - by Sam Flynn 4 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Centenaries - whole and half - by ChrisGeorge 5 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: A theory about some injuries! - by Fisherman 5 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Mary Jane Kelly: A theory about some injuries! - (19 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (12 posts)
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (12 posts)
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - (8 posts)
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - (7 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (6 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Motive, Method and Madness

Old 10-23-2017, 04:43 AM
Superintendent

Probably late to the game but here's another case of someone approaching the press with tale of a murder shortly before one of the torsos was discovered.

Sheffield Evening Telegraph
11 October 1888
AN EXTRAORDINARY STORY
An extraordinary story is going the round of journalistic circles in connection with the mysterious discovery on the Thames Embankment. It will be remembered that the woman's remains were found on the Monday afternoon of last week. The previous evening, however, a man went to most of the daily newspaper offices, saw the respective subeditors[?] and inquired if they had heard of a woman's body being discovered on the Embankment. The man evidently expected remuneration, but, in accordance with practice, was required to call again after inquiries had been made. Reporters were despatched in hot haste to Westminster, and calls were made at all the police stations and other likely quarters, but without result, no discovery of the kind reported having been made. In less than twenty-four hours the remains of the unknown woman were found between the Embankment and Whitehall at the spot previously described. If this reported discovery was a hoax, and a strange coincidence, it is very singular indeed. Moreover, the man who called at the newspaper offices did not call a second time.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:45 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
Hi Joshua,

John Cleary features heavily in the article as far as I can recall. Later today Iíll dig out the magazine
Cheers H, I look forward to reading anyrhing you can find.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:59 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
Probably late to the game but here's another case of someone approaching the press with tale of a murder shortly before one of the torsos was discovered.

11 October 1888
AN EXTRAORDINARY STORY
An extraordinary story is going the round of journalistic circles in connection with the mysterious discovery on the Thames Embankment. It will be remembered that the woman's remains were found on the Monday afternoon of last week. The previous evening, however, a man went to most of the daily newspaper offices, saw the respective subeditors[?] and inquired if they had heard of a woman's body being discovered on the Embankment. The man evidently expected remuneration, but, in accordance with practice, was required to call again after inquiries had been made. Reporters were despatched in hot haste to Westminster, and calls were made at all the police stations and other likely quarters, but without result, no discovery of the kind reported having been made. In less than twenty-four hours the remains of the unknown woman were found between the Embankment and Whitehall at the spot previously described. If this reported discovery was a hoax, and a strange coincidence, it is very singular indeed. Moreover, the man who called at the newspaper offices did not call a second time.
Cracking stuff Harry, that sounds exactly like the contemporary story which the one I posted was referring to. Looks like corroboration that the story wasn't just some hazy recollection like Fairy Fay, in the north of England anyway.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:18 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
Hi Jerry, I thought you'd like that. I can't claim any credit for finding it, it was in the book of torso press cuttings recommended by Steve earlier. But it did leap out at me when I read it. Whether there's any truth to it is another matrer. I haven't found any corroboration yet either, and you'd think it would have been mentioned at the time if there was something to it.
As for cutting up bodies for money, who knows? It seems a bit extreme to me (although there are obviously historical precedents), but some people were certainly willing to make money from the murders; I believe a journalist was prosecuted for selling completely fictitious stories about the Rainham case.
Well done Josh, I had certainly missed it, nothing else in the book i can see related to it.
its probably a garbled report, but i am sure if another ref does exist someone will find it.

steve

Last edited by Elamarna : 10-23-2017 at 05:22 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:31 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post

11 October 1888
AN EXTRAORDINARY STORY
HI Harry
These reports are so odd. and now heres a third. I'm beginning to think that these aren't totally false stories.

Its such a rare story-someone going to reporters and telling them about torsos that havent been dumped yet, but then end up dumped there?!?

whats going on here? anyone have a clue?

its either the killer with some odd habit of "declaring/revealing" the dump sites beforehand or..or whats the alternative???

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 10-23-2017, 05:49 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
HI Harry
These reports are so odd. and now heres a third. I'm beginning to think that these aren't totally false stories.

Its such a rare story-someone going to reporters and telling them about torsos that havent been dumped yet, but then end up dumped there?!?

whats going on here? anyone have a clue?

its either the killer with some odd habit of "declaring/revealing" the dump sites beforehand or..or whats the alternative???
The obvious alternative is money for a story, and if the papers actually bite, maybe an exclusive.

3 stories now, this one not long after the event.

To me it points away from the "same hand" idea.

Steve
Old 10-23-2017, 06:20 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
The obvious alternative is money for a story, and if the papers actually bite, maybe an exclusive.

3 stories now, this one not long after the event.

To me it points away from the "same hand" idea.

Steve
Hi El

But the mens story predicted something that actually happened?!? three of them? whats the chances of that happening.

in my mind its either got to be the real killer or the reporters/papers are making it up, no?

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 10-23-2017, 06:32 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
Hi El

But the mens story predicted something that actually happened?!? three of them? whats the chances of that happening.

in my mind its either got to be the real killer or the reporters/papers are making it up, no?
Abby,

i think you misunderstand me, i beleive if true, it points to someone connected to the Torso's but it also to me points away from the Torso disposer (for Trev) being the same hand as the Ripper.

If true this shows a want or need to tell the press of a body, for reward one assumes.

One can argue that if you are giving information in advance, shock is not the aim, which is much of the argument given here by some.

steve
Old 10-23-2017, 06:48 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
Abby,

i think you misunderstand me, i beleive if true, it points to someone connected to the Torso's but it also to me points away from the Torso disposer (for Trev) being the same hand as the Ripper.

If true this shows a want or need to tell the press of a body, for reward one assumes.

One can argue that if you are giving information in advance, shock is not the aim, which is much of the argument given here by some.

steve
thanks for clarifying El.

Quote:
but no body is there yet so how is he going to get reward? that makes no sense.

Quote:
maybe not shock per se, but the thrill of doing it? the urge to "tell" about it?

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 10-23-2017, 07:05 AM
Superintendent

Plausible deniability, perhaps?