• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Jack caught by London underworld?

Hello you all!

I know this sounds like Fritz Lang's M, but:

Do you find the following reason for the end of the murders plausible:

Jack was caught by the London Underworld and vanished because of that?

All the best
    Jukka
    "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Well, they would certainly have reason for wanting the killer off the streets, as I'm sure the heightened police presence and vigilante groups weren't doing wonders for business. That's why I believe that the Lusk letter was sent by some local crook(s) to intimidate Lusk because the vigilance committee were stepping on one too many toes. As for the criminal underworld getting to the Ripper, I think they had as much chance as the police, to be honest.

Comment

Anything is possible.

Yeah, could be a plausible explanation.
      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
      ---------------
      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
      ---------------

Comment

Back in the 1970s a series of novels about Professor Moriarty were written, the first being "The Return of Moriarty". In that first novel, he is privately reminiscing about the "autumn of terror", and how he is put on the trail of the Ripper by one of the victims (before her death). He and Moran catch the Ripper, and make his death look like a suicide. The perpetrator's motive is to bring the conditions of the East End, especially prostitution, to the public's notice. The novel was written soon after the publication of Tom Cullen's "Autumn of Terror", so the novelist was using Cullen's suggestion of a Ripper motive. Moriarty's involvement was that his own extensive prostitution empire was jeopardized by the Ripper's activities.

Jeff

Comment

Hello Jeff!

Not familiar with the book, sorry.

Which one of the victims gave the tip?

All the best
          Jukka
          "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Originally posted by j.r-ahde View Post
            Hello you all!

I know this sounds like Fritz Lang's M, but:

Do you find the following reason for the end of the murders plausible:

Jack was caught by the London Underworld and vanished because of that?

All the best
            Jukka
            The Jewish underworld !
            On my travels I met an elderly Jewish man whose relatives lived in Whitechapel at the time of the murders. He told a story that prominent members of the community identified the killer as being a Jewish man.

How they found out, and what they did, can be found in my book "Prey Time" which contains many twists and turns relative to the Whitechapel Murders.

Comment

Originally posted by j.r-ahde View Post
              Hello Jeff!

Not familiar with the book, sorry.

Which one of the victims gave the tip?

All the best
              Jukka
              Hi Jukka.

I believe it was Elizabeth Stride.

Of course, in the novel the Ripper was Druitt. The novel was written by John Gardner.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                Hi Jukka.

I believe it was Elizabeth Stride.

Of course, in the novel the Ripper was Druitt. The novel was written by John Gardner.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Good to see you about.
                Hope all is well?

Steve

Comment

Hello Jeff!

My guesses were on Liz Stride or Mary Jane Kelly - probably I'm not the only one thinking it's usually the latter one with a hunch in Ripper fiction.

All the best
                  Jukka

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                    Hi Jeff

Good to see you about.
                    Hope all is well?

Steve
                    Hi Steve,

My legs are giving me a great deal of trouble. I may need a vascular surgeon on them.

Hope you are doing well.

Jeff

Comment

I've considered the killer being eliminated by some local Godfather for some time........

Comment

I think it by no means improbable. As a result of the Ripper's activities, the East End was swarming with policemen, and the young toffs with money, the ones who'd normally patronize the prize fights and gambling dens, were being treated with suspicion by the locals, and in some cases chased and roughed up. This was bad for business.

Add to that the fact that John McCarthy, Mary Kelly's landlord, is believed by many to have been a major figure in the underworld. Whether or not Kelly was his prostitute, butchering her on McCarthy's own premises would not have best pleased him.

Consider as well how rapidly the excitement died down after the Kelly murder. The Ripper had gone as much as a month previously between killings, but now within a few weeks after the Kelly murder the extra policemen had returned to their regular duties, and much of the East End seemed to just accept that the Ripper scare was over.

I would not be at all surprised to learn that McCarthy and his associates decided that things had gone too far, called in their favours, found out who Jack was (if they didn't already know), and arranged for him to meet a bad end. I doubt if the police would have looked too closely into the matter, even if they knew exactly what had happened.
                        - Ginger

Comment

Interesting idea. Certainly possible.

Only problem is the underworld has a hard time keeping secrets like this. One of them gets drunk and boasts how he and his boys killed Jack the Ripper, gossip spread etc etc. I think we would hear some form of rumours from this.

But yeah, Jack suddenly stopping is one of the biggest mysteries in this case. Because many criminal profilers admit, a person who commits these type of crimes rarely just stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Garza View Post
                            Interesting idea. Certainly possible.

Only problem is the underworld has a hard time keeping secrets like this. One of them gets drunk and boasts how he and his boys killed Jack the Ripper, gossip spread etc etc. I think we would hear some form of rumours from this.

But yeah, Jack suddenly stopping is one of the biggest mysteries in this case. Because many criminal profilers admit, a person who commits these type of crimes rarely just stop.
                            I agree. This would not have remained a secret, in fact in time it would have been something to brag about.." I heard that my Da and some of his mates did old Jackie in themselves. Rid the East End of the monster."
                            Michael Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Steve S View Post
                              I've considered the killer being eliminated by some local Godfather for some time........
                              The first time I read about Jack was in a "mystery book" from Reader's Digest.
                              They claimed his body was found in the Thames, and was killed by vengeful prostitutes.
                              Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
                              - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Working...
                              X