Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Thompson, Francis: Francis Thompson. The Perfect Suspect. - by SuspectZero 7 hours ago.
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - by GUT 12 hours ago.
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - by Wolf Vanderlinden 14 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Centenaries - whole and half - by Mayerling 14 hours ago.
Scene of the Crimes: East End Walk - by barnflatwyngarde 15 hours ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by NickB 15 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (6 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Centenaries - whole and half - (2 posts)
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - (2 posts)
Thompson, Francis: Francis Thompson. The Perfect Suspect. - (1 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: East End Walk - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Kosminski, Aaron

Old 10-18-2017, 02:50 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpalmer View Post
From 'Jack the Ripper --The Facts' by Paul Begg (2006) p.487:

ĎIn 1891 Melville Macnaghten wrote to Banstead requesting that the Convict Supervision Office be informed if Ostrog was released. There is no suggestion that Banstead were informed that Ostrog was potentially dangerous, possibly a multiple murderer and perhaps Jacks the Ripper.í

Paul, you draw conclusions about Ostrog's alleged violence not being reported to Banstead, but seem to resist this same possibility in the case of Kosminki's committal?

The bald fact that AK's case notes are so mundane and that he was ultimately sent to Leavesden as a harmless imbecile surely supports the conclusion that the attendants were never informed that he was "possibly a multiple murderer and Jack the Ripper?" No?

Perhaps I am dense, but I see no difference, and, indeed what might be called the "cluelessness" of the medical attendants seems even more evident in the case notes for Kosminski.
Hi Roger,
I'm not sure what I've said to suggest that I resist the idea that Kosminski's alleged violence wasn't reported to the asylum authorities. I've always thought it possible that it wasn't, and I agree that his transfer to Leavesden might indeed suggest that they had no idea of the police suspicions. What I do say, repeatedly over the years, is that Kosminski's asylum records are concerned with his physical health and say next to nothing about his general behaviour, how his mental illness manifested itself (by which I mean the form his delusions took), or, indeed, his mental condition overall. Sorry if I have misled anyone.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:17 AM
Casebook Supporter

One thing that puzzles me is, if AK was a suspect, why not send him to Broadmoor? Cutbush was sent there and he hadn't been found guilty of anything. They could have charged AK with attacking his sister, found him unfit to plead and sent him to Broadmoor where, presumably, the security was tighter than at Colney Hatch or Leavesden.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:06 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
I'm not sure what I've said to suggest that I resist the idea that Kosminski's alleged violence wasn't reported to the asylum authorities.
Hi Paul. Fair enough. This must have been my own misunderstanding. I actually like this position, because I have long felt that Anderson (and Macnaghten in at least one instance) is implying that Kosminski's family somehow finessed the Met (or maybe the City Police) by spiriting him away to the workhouse before any legal trouble could ensue. Tying a suspectís hands with rope is not police procedure, but it is consistent with something the family might have done, which could, potentially, also answer Robertís question. Aaron K had made it into Ďthe systemí before the investigation was concluded.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:52 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpalmer View Post
Hi Paul. Fair enough. This must have been my own misunderstanding. I actually like this position, because I have long felt that Anderson (and Macnaghten in at least one instance) is implying that Kosminski's family somehow finessed the Met (or maybe the City Police) by spiriting him away to the workhouse before any legal trouble could ensue. Tying a suspectís hands with rope is not police procedure, but it is consistent with something the family might have done, which could, potentially, also answer Robertís question. Aaron K had made it into Ďthe systemí before the investigation was concluded.
Hi Roger
That's always been my take on it. No rope is mentioned, of course, but his hands tied behind his back ammounts to the same thing. Kosminski was returned to his brother's house after the identification and the family avoided unpleasant publicity by having him committed before the police could bring charges. We seem to be on the same page here!

Cheers
Paul
Old 10-18-2017, 03:05 PM
Inspector

Still, some caution should have been given to attendants so other patients could be protected; but apparently none was (at least the written records show nothing.)
Old 11-15-2017, 10:07 AM
Detective

Scott, did you ever find anything more about the 'hairdresser' Daniel Kosminski?
Old 11-15-2017, 10:51 AM
Inspector

Hi RJ,

No, other than a certain John Hyam co-sponsored Daniel's naturalization application, and that this Hyam was probably the manager of the Imperial Club on Duke Street in 1887-88. Quite possibly, Daniel, who lived close by on Houndsditch, was a member as well.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:22 AM
Casebook Supporter

The naturalisation record says that Daniel has no children, but the 1891 census shows a daughter Bessie aged 11.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:02 PM
Sergeant

Daughter Bessie also in 1901 census same address in St Marylebone.

Danil Kozminski son of Ludowik born 1852 married Rojza Trajber in Kolo in 1873. Could be distantly related to Aaron as his cousins lived in Kolo.
I did check and he is not closely related.

They went to Australia some time after in 1911.

Pat.....
Old 11-15-2017, 01:38 PM
Casebook Supporter

Thanks Pat. I saw a slight trace of him in Victoria but couldn't be sure.