Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Non-Fiction: Scholes of the Yard: The Casebook of a Scotland Yard Detective 1888 to 1924 - by Herlock Sholmes 58 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Trevor Marriott 1 hour and 16 minutes ago.
Non-Fiction: Scholes of the Yard: The Casebook of a Scotland Yard Detective 1888 to 1924 - by Pcdunn 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by jerryd 3 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Joshua Rogan 4 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Sam Flynn 4 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (28 posts)
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - (6 posts)
Non-Fiction: Scholes of the Yard: The Casebook of a Scotland Yard Detective 1888 to 1924 - (3 posts)
Thompson, Francis: Jack the Poet - (2 posts)
Neil, P.C. John: Running towards me without a hat, which raised my suspicions!!! - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Motive, Method and Madness

Old 10-12-2017, 12:22 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
you blew it
Blow me. Nothing you've shown at all indicates the killer dumped parts for shock value. Your argument has no weight
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:30 PM
Commisioner

Since I like you so very much, I could not bring myself to report you for calling me brain dead. However, I am of course not willing to debate with somebody who lowers himself to such deplorable levels on account of sheer frustration (or anything else).
I have a bright son who normally advices people never to lower themselves to levels of discussion where they have no experience. I tend to take that advice every now and then.

Goodbye.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:45 PM
Chief Inspector

Please, cry me a river full of body parts
Old 10-12-2017, 12:48 PM
Chief Inspector

and dead fish
Old 10-12-2017, 12:54 PM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
And? What are you trying to say?
That dumping bodies or body parts into a river is an effective way to dispose of evidence, avoid detection and delay justice. Nobody sets out to dump bodies in a river with the intention of creating a floating horror-show. If you want a guaranteed way to create shock and terror you leave your corpses in a public place.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 10-12-2017, 01:30 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
That dumping bodies or body parts into a river is an effective way to dispose of evidence, avoid detection and delay justice. Nobody sets out to dump bodies in a river with the intention of creating a floating horror-show. If you want a guaranteed way to create shock and terror you leave your corpses in a public place.
And if you want no cleanup or disposablek and little time as possible with victims you find a dark corner and leave the mess behind. Easy
Old 10-12-2017, 01:38 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
And we know that the Torso killer did leave body parts in public places, yes. As for creating shock and terror, I´d say that floating a full, cut away face with the eyelashes intact down the river goes a long way in that particular line of business too.

Thanks for elaborating.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:11 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
And we know that the Torso killer did leave body parts in public places, yes. As for creating shock and terror, I´d say that floating a full, cut away face with the eyelashes intact down the river goes a long way in that particular line of business too.

Thanks for elaborating.
Or the killer cut away the face from the skull to prevent identification in case either is found. Its another extra level of precaution that you interpret as fear mongering
Old 10-12-2017, 02:59 PM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
And we know that the Torso killer did leave body parts in public places, yes.
Under a railway arch or in a vault on a building-site doesn't constitute a public place. And throwing a thigh over a hedge doesn't count as "leaving" a body part there either.
Quote:
As for creating shock and terror, I´d say that floating a full, cut away face with the eyelashes intact down the river goes a long way in that particular line of business too.
Whose skinned face floated down the Thames?

Besides, how many people - if any - are going to even spot such a small object against the great bulk of the Thames? Same goes for any other body part, really. Who was the killer's intended audience? Did he have it in for the River Police?

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 10-13-2017, 01:36 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:

Thanks for elaborating.
The major issue with your suggestion I see is that there is no guarantee the parts disposed of in the River would be found.

The Whitehall Torso also appears to have been placed so that it may not have been found and it appears to have been fortuitous that it was FOUND so relatively quiçkly.

The Part thrown over into the Shelly garden could easily have been missed for sometime depending on where the part landed.

Only Pinchin Street shows a desire to allow the Body part to be easily seen and found.

Given the dates, this may have been someone celebrating the anniversary of Chapman, or someone trying to suggest a link.

Sorry but I see your argument that disposing of the parts by river to expose them to "Londoners" to at present be weak.

I said before I consider it a plausible suggestion and I still do just; however there seems little to support the idea given at this moment, other than your belief that this was the objective of the killer.

Steve