Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by RockySullivan 59 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by RockySullivan 1 hour and 2 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by jerryd 1 hour and 17 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Abby Normal 1 hour and 23 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by jerryd 1 hour and 29 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Abby Normal 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (60 posts)
Non-Fiction: Scholes of the Yard: The Casebook of a Scotland Yard Detective 1888 to 1924 - (3 posts)
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - (1 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Bucks Row Project - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications > Goulston Street Graffito

View Poll Results: Did Jack write the GSG?
YES 75 38.66%
NO 119 61.34%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2017, 03:03 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
He had not heard of the murder before searching the stairs and landings, but had heard of the murder before he took the piece of apron to the police station. He was questioned bout this, saying that he thought he would find someone injured, not that he thought he would come across a murderer. It is not known who told him about the murder, but the only person he is known to have soken to was the policeman he left to watch the building.
Thanks for the reply, Paul.
I agree that PC 190H is the only person he is known to have talked to, but can you be certain that he had not heard of the murder before searching the stairs? In Long's police report, he says, on finding the apron and the writing;
"I at once called the PC on the adjoining beat and then searched the stair-cases"

And according to the Times, the inquest went;
"a juryman. - Having heard of the murder, and having afterwards found the piece of apron with blood on it and the writing on the wall, did it not strike you that it would be well to make some examination of the rooms in the building? You say you searched all the passages, but you would not expect that the man who had committed the murder would hide himself there.
Witness. - Seeing the blood there, I thought that the murder had been committed, and that the body might be placed in the building."

And the Daily News;
"a Juror - Having heard of a murder, and subsequently found a piece of apron with blood upon it, did it not appear to you that it might be as well to examine some of the rooms of the building? - No, sir. I did not expect the man had committed the murder in the passage, but I though the body might have been hidden there."

So, unless I'm missing something, it seems that he had indeed heard of the murder before searching the stairwells, either from PC 190H or some other source.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:48 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
These newspaper reports we hear so much about.How did they receive their information?
By sending their reporters to the inquests. Some of the reporters took almost verbatim notes which are invaluable sources of information.
Quote:
So are cetain posters claiming he(Long) lied under oath.
It's not so much a question of lying, as a need to recognise that none of our sources, even the official ones, could take everything down with unerring accuracy or completeness. That's why we should always read more than one source before coming to any conclusions.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 09-25-2017, 03:57 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
By sending their reporters to the inquests. Some of the reporters took almost verbatim notes which are invaluable sources of information.
It's not so much a question of lying, as a need to recognise that none of our sources, even the official ones, could take everything down with unerring accuracy or completeness. That's why we should always read more than one source before coming to any conclusions.
And what conclusion should we come to, one that supports the old theory,one that supports a new theory, or can we say either theory could be correct due to the conflicting reports?

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Old 09-25-2017, 04:11 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
And what conclusion should we come to, one that supports the old theory,one that supports a new theory, or can we say either theory could be correct due to the conflicting reports?
We need to arrive at the most probable and feasible theories/hypotheses that are consistent with the evidence. Any theory must also be consistent with a number of other factors: scientific, logical, logistical, historical, etc.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 09-25-2017, 04:27 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
These newspaper reports we hear so much about.
You can read them yourself, harry, they're almost all available on Casebook;

http://www.casebook.org/press_reports/
Old 09-25-2017, 05:06 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
I think you are wrong there Abby, did he not prefer Hutchinson?
However I am happy to be corrected. And if wrong will happily withdraw the comment.

Steve
Hutch? LOL! No-I preferred hutch and my first encounters with Fish was him arguing constantly, passionately, and a lot of times, contentiously, with me (and Ben) against Hutch.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 09-25-2017, 05:34 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
It's not about old theories or new theories, it's about attempting to anaylise the various sources in an unbias way, which some argue is impossible and while that may be so because we all have bias, we should at least try.

We should judge those sources not on which theory they fit, but what they suggest.

Steve
Old 09-25-2017, 05:39 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
Hutch? LOL! No-I preferred hutch and my first encounters with Fish was him arguing constantly, passionately, and a lot of times, contentiously, with me (and Ben) against Hutch.
Then I stand corrected.

Steve
Old 09-25-2017, 06:08 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
He did however propose Fleming in an article in Ripperologist.

My mistake.

Steve
Old 09-25-2017, 06:14 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
It's not about old theories or new theories, it's about attempting to anaylise the various sources in an unbias way, which some argue is impossible and while that may be so because we all have bias, we should at least try.

We should judge those sources not on which theory they fit, but what they suggest.

Steve
But what they then suggest is again open to personal interpretations, and which theory an individual supports.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk