Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Police Discussion: J Division Fixed Point Whitechapel Station? - by The Station Cat 1 hour and 4 minutes ago.
General Police Discussion: Police Orders 1st October 1888 - by The Station Cat 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Michael W Richards 3 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Sam Flynn 5 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Sam Flynn 5 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Sam Flynn 5 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - (32 posts)
General Police Discussion: Police Orders 1st October 1888 - (1 posts)
General Police Discussion: J Division Fixed Point Whitechapel Station? - (1 posts)
Hutchinson, George: The Enigma That Is Richard Blake - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications > Goulston Street Graffito

View Poll Results: Did Jack write the GSG?
YES 75 38.66%
NO 119 61.34%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #2091  
Old 09-24-2017, 12:44 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 8,942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
So where was there an incentive or reason to go haring down to a police station,clutching a piece of soiled material that he neither knew nor had reason to believe,was evidence of a crime..
There was blood on it. It's as simple as that.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2092  
Old 09-24-2017, 12:44 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
Now I hate to say this but the translation is almost correct, and I was mistaken, Further research shows the victim in the photo is a 13 year old girl, her body was found outside. The knife shown in the photo is the knife used to cut her throat and to cut open her abdomen.

It still doesn't take away the fact that the victims intestines recoiled outwards, and upwards, and moving the body would not result in them recoiling from an open wound, if they already hadn't done so, unless they tipped the body over, or on its side, because they would have covered the body for transportation.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
So your previous post was incorrect. Glad to see you have learnt from last year.
your comment that movement would not cause movement of the intestines is also incorrect. Such is of course possible, it depends on the cut and the movement involved.
Such sweeping statements are so often wrong and demonstrate a rush and lack of research.

Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2093  
Old 09-24-2017, 12:49 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
Well look at the photo, and where the wound must be. If you imagine the wound to eddowes from pubes to sternum, and then the ripping open. it is quite feasible that the intestines could have recoiled further up than those shown in the photo.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
No Trevor

Physics does not work like that.
The fact that no medics back this view, should tell you something.

Can one ask why you assume guess work trumps knowledge?


Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2094  
Old 09-24-2017, 01:45 AM
harry harry is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,684
Default

So,every time a policeman found an article with blood on it,irrespective of whether or not evidence of a crime could be associated with it,a policeman left his post to report the finding to a police station?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2095  
Old 09-24-2017, 01:48 AM
Trevor Marriott Trevor Marriott is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
No Trevor

Physics does not work like that.
The fact that no medics back this view, should tell you something.

Can one ask why you assume guess work trumps knowledge?

Steve
Its not guesswork you are ignoring the obvious. That victims photo shows how far the intestines recoiled out to. My point which you choose to ignore is that how much further up the body would they have finished up if the abdominal wound would have been bigger and extended higher up the body in line with Eddowes wound.

You are too quick to accept the old theories, when there are other plausible explanations.

We keep going round in circles.

I think you need to realise that it is unlikely that there is ever going to be any primary evidence to conclusively disprove the old accepted theories. But there is evidence, which suggests that what researchers have been asked to rely on an readily accept without question for 129 years does not now stand up to close scrutiny, and the other plausible explanations may be viable.

All that can be done is to present the facts for both sides and let people decide on what they believe to be correct.

These forums are not the place where the new plausible explanations get a fair hearing, simply because many who frequent these boards on a daily basis are biased in favour of the old accepted theories and will not consider anything new and have made that plainly clear, when we see posters making up explanations to try to prop up the old theories.

I am all for open discussion but I find that impossible. We have seen many good researchers leave the boards never to return. To be honest I am at that point. I have some new research to conclude and publish and then perhaps I will exit stage left.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2096  
Old 09-24-2017, 01:51 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 8,942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
So,every time a policeman found an article with blood on it,irrespective of whether or not evidence of a crime could be associated with it,a policeman left his post to report the finding to a police station?
Given the circumstances and location - 1888, Whitechapel, during a spate of sensational murders - what would you have done? Indeed, regardless of the circumstances, finding a bloodstained portion of clothing would warrant further investigation.

It's not often PC Long gets any credit, but he does on this occasion.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2097  
Old 09-24-2017, 01:55 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 8,942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
Its not guesswork you are ignoring the obvious. That victims photo shows how far the intestines recoiled out to. My point which you choose to ignore is that how much further up the body would they have finished up if the abdominal wound would have been bigger and extended higher up the body in line with Eddowes wound.
No they would not. How many times do I have to tell you that the intestines are not coiled springs? They would NOT erupt from the abdomen and shoot out over someone's shoulders. The idea is utterly preposterous.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2098  
Old 09-24-2017, 03:01 AM
Joshua Rogan Joshua Rogan is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
Sourced from th A to Z book.
He(Long)was mildly criticised by a juror for not conducting a thorough search of the rooms in the buildings.,but reasonably replied that he did not know of the Eddowes murder.
I'm pretty sure that Long says he was aware of the murder in Mitre Square before taking the apron piece to the station, and some reports say he had also heard rumours of another murder.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2099  
Old 09-24-2017, 03:04 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
Its not guesswork you are ignoring the obvious. That victims photo shows how far the intestines recoiled out to. My point which you choose to ignore is that how much further up the body would they have finished up if the abdominal wound would have been bigger and extended higher up the body in line with Eddowes wound.
Sorry you are either ignoring or have no understanding of physics or anatomy.
We just can't make things up all the time to fit our own ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
You are too quick to accept the old theories, when there are other plausible explanations.
NOT accepting any old ideas or new for that matter on this issue, it's a simple matter of science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
We keep going round in circles.

Only because you are fixated on your somewhat unrealistic and unsupported theories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

I think you need to realise that it is unlikely that there is ever going to be any primary evidence to conclusively disprove the old accepted theories. But there is evidence, which suggests that what researchers have been asked to rely on an readily accept without question for 129 years does not now stand up to close scrutiny, and the other plausible explanations may be viable.
Unfortunately Trevor what you need to realise that because you say something does not stand up to scrutiny it need not, and in these cases normally is NOT SO.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
All that can be done is to present the facts for both sides and let people decide on what they believe to be correct.

Agreed , but don't present them as facts as you do.
Which people do you mean, those with an interest and some knowledge or those who have little background and when told something is the truth just accept it?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
These forums are not the place where the new plausible explanations get a fair hearing, simply because many who frequent these boards on a daily basis are biased in favour of the old accepted theories and will not consider anything new and have made that plainly clear, when we see posters making up explanations to try to prop up the old theories.

I see.
You mean any who disagree with you are bias, while those who attend your shows and read your books get a fair unbias view from yourself.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
I am all for open discussion but I find that impossible. We have seen many good researchers leave the boards never to return. To be honest I am at that point. I have some new research to conclude and publish and then perhaps I will exit stage left.

That is YOUR choice, I am sure it will not stop you publishing and making a living.

A shame given some of the actual research is good.

Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2100  
Old 09-24-2017, 03:27 AM
Joshua Rogan Joshua Rogan is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert St Devil View Post
Hi Jon. I find it interesting that the report in the September 30th edition of Lloyd's dismisses the rumour that a part similar to Annie Chapman's was taken away by Kate's murderer. I blv the reporter may have been Thos. Catling, editor of Lloyd's newspaper. In his autobiography My Life's Pilgrimage [online, pg. 184], Catling writes of his experience the morning of Kate's murder. He was summoned to the murder sites; then, he proceeded to the mortuary, where he met his old school chum Mr. Gordon Brown, who informed him on the particulars of Kate's injuries. So, at 5:20a, Catling had enough to write-up the first report to appear in that day's issue.
Thanks Robert, good find!
Given that this was before the autopsy, it's not clear what Dr Gordon Brown could say for sure at that time.

It's interesting that Catling says "He gave me facts — more than could be published — as to the condition of the bodies"

Is that simply too much info to fit into the report, that some facts were unsuitable for publication, or was he asked not to publish some details?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.