Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - by Bridewell 10 minutes ago.
General Discussion: Who is Lipski? - by jerryd 28 minutes ago.
General Discussion: Who is Lipski? - by Sam Flynn 36 minutes ago.
Non-Fiction: "Ripperland" by Andrew Firth - by Andrew Firth 38 minutes ago.
General Discussion: Who is Lipski? - by jerryd 39 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Sam Flynn 53 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - (32 posts)
General Discussion: Who is Lipski? - (8 posts)
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - (5 posts)
General Discussion: Help me find the source of this story - (4 posts)
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - (3 posts)
General Police Discussion: J Division Fixed Point Whitechapel Station? - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1431  
Old 09-20-2017, 03:52 PM
Mike J. G. Mike J. G. is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
They find the diary-get it checked at uni-someone takes it to Barrett because he's done a bit of writing and they think he might know who to approach to sell it-Barrett makes the phone call. I can't see anything impossible Or even improbable in that Mike. I'm not saying for a fact that it's true but it could be. Surely we can't discount something because we can't give a detailed itinerary of events?
Hang on, I thought Barrett's foray into writing was being laughed at by most on here? Now we're to assume he was known at the Saddle as the resident writer who'd know what to do with a potentially important document?

So, on one hand, Barrett is a nitwit who couldn't construct a sentence or have anything to do with a diary, but on the other hand, he's regarded enough in literature by his mates to be deemed the go-to-guy when you find an interesting bit of literature?

I never said it was impossible, I said it was improbable. I gave some valid reasons for finding it improbable, and I'm yet to see anyone explain those with a reasonable answer that doesn't consist of imaginative explanations such as "Rigby finds diary, Rigby gives diary to mate, mate contacts random university, then decides to contact the local booze-hound who would know what to do with a book such as that".

That's like me saying it's not impossible that Barrett wrote it, constructed a plan with his electrician mate who worked for a company that had previously worked at the house and then went at it.

In fact, considering we're now having Barrett be associated with an electrician, and seeing as the company had worked at the house in '89, then why is it impossible for the diary to have been concocted as far back as then, and set aside for a perfect time to launch it into the public eye?

This is the difference between probable and improbable.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1432  
Old 09-20-2017, 03:53 PM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 8,955
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J. G. View Post
Do they, though? I'm not sure if they actually do. The Mussilini diary was also found to be suitably aged, and we know that it was done so by sticking it in the oven. Nothing about the Maybrick diary is even remotely proven with regards to its age, and people constantly forget that, or just choose to ignore it.
Quite.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1433  
Old 09-20-2017, 03:54 PM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 8,955
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J. G. View Post
I'm yet to see anyone explain those with a reasonable answer that doesn't consist of imaginative explanations such as "Rigby finds diary, Rigby gives diary to mate, mate contacts random university, then decides to contact the local booze-hound who would know what to do with a book such as that".
Not forgetting, "Rigby finds potentially important document and decides to get shot of it right away".
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1434  
Old 09-20-2017, 03:55 PM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 8,955
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
They find the diary-get it checked at uni-someone takes it to Barrett because he's done a bit of writing and they think he might know who to approach to sell it-Barrett makes the phone call. I can't see anything impossible Or even improbable in that Mike.
It's the time-scale, Herlock. Laughably improbable.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1435  
Old 09-20-2017, 03:59 PM
Herlock Sholmes Herlock Sholmes is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: The West Midlands
Posts: 1,138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J. G. View Post
It's a tricky one, which is the intent of a hoax in the first place, to deceive.

There would obviously be ways to prove that it was the real deal, but the simple fact is that nobody has yet done that to any great satisfaction.

There are conflicting views on the ink analysis for a reason.

Hoaxes are literally constructed to fool people, and this is what the diary has done, plain and simple. When you have a situation where no two people can agree on the age, then you look at the rest of it.

Here's my take: there are enough reasons to suggest hoax. There are enough reasons to suggest a more modern hoax.

Are there any reasons to suggest either a genuine article or an old hoax? People seem apprehensive about offering those reasons, if there are any.
I'm only going on fallible memory here Mike but I can't recall any contradicting scientific evidence. I've read the overview in Smiths book and it seems pretty plain, obviously unless he's lying, that the evidence says 'old.' The scientific evidence for the watch says 'old.' I find it hard to just dismiss it.

Because people have lied about its provenance that's not proof that it's a forgery. It's proof that people have lied about its providence. 'Why the need to lie?' you'd probably ask. Possibly to cover up a forgery but there are other reasons to. Reasons related to marital problems as Smith talks about. Reasons of not wanting to be involved in something where hey might get accused of stealing. There's probably a few more but we surely can't just assume that it's to cover up a forgery. None of us can be that certain....can we?
__________________
Regards

Herlock






"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1436  
Old 09-20-2017, 04:00 PM
Herlock Sholmes Herlock Sholmes is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: The West Midlands
Posts: 1,138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
It's the time-scale, Herlock. Laughably improbable.
Why?

And again Sam, 'improbable' in the opinion of some but not impossible.
__________________
Regards

Herlock






"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1437  
Old 09-20-2017, 04:05 PM
Mike J. G. Mike J. G. is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
I'm only going on fallible memory here Mike but I can't recall any contradicting scientific evidence. I've read the overview in Smiths book and it seems pretty plain, obviously unless he's lying, that the evidence says 'old.' The scientific evidence for the watch says 'old.' I find it hard to just dismiss it.

Because people have lied about its provenance that's not proof that it's a forgery. It's proof that people have lied about its providence. 'Why the need to lie?' you'd probably ask. Possibly to cover up a forgery but there are other reasons to. Reasons related to marital problems as Smith talks about. Reasons of not wanting to be involved in something where hey might get accused of stealing. There's probably a few more but we surely can't just assume that it's to cover up a forgery. None of us can be that certain....can we?
You're also aware that scientific analysis of the Mussilini diary gave the impression of an old document, too, right?

No, because people have lied about the provenance doesn't mean it's a forgery, but what you should be wondering is why a supposedly real document, genuinely found, would cause everyone around it to lie so utterly hopelessly and repeatedly. Think of all of the genuine finds out there, and ask yourself if they, too, were surrounded by dodgy stories...

The scientific evidence for the watch says old, because it's an old watch. The funny thing being dismissed is that the people set with the task of cleaning said watch saw no initials on it at all when it was in their shop...

People find it easy to dismiss the fact that the writer mentions a non-existent pub with a distinct and giveaway spelling, yet they can't dismiss other things as easily.

If you steal something, why take it to a university who would undoubtedly ask you were you got it from? Does that make sense?

If you steal something, why offer it to a publisher in London?

We really must use our common sense on this one.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1438  
Old 09-20-2017, 04:06 PM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 8,955
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J. G. View Post
Are there any reasons to suggest either a genuine article or an old hoax? People seem apprehensive about offering those reasons, if there are any.
The only real reason, as I see it, seems to be the McNeil ion-migration test, whose sensitivity was demonstrated to be significantly compromised when the test was applied to the Mormon "Salamander" letters. The test was developed against a small sample of documents spanning several centuries, but as yet I have not seen any evidence of how accurate it might be when confronted by papers of different composition produced in the same century.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1439  
Old 09-20-2017, 04:07 PM
Mike J. G. Mike J. G. is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
Why?

And again Sam, 'improbable' in the opinion of some but not impossible.
I've explained the dodgy timescale so many times, Herlock.

When was the diary found? When did Rigby pass it to his mate? Who contacted the university? When did they take it in? When did they then take it to the Saddle? When did Barrett contact the publisher?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1440  
Old 09-20-2017, 04:13 PM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 8,955
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
Why?

And again Sam, 'improbable' in the opinion of some but not impossible.
Indisputably improbable, Herlock - nothing to do with opinion but, as you say, not "impossible". Equally, if not more, improbable is the idea that anyone finding such an important document would want to get rid of it within the space of a few hours. More improbable again is that they'd want to get rid of it to a comparative stranger down the pub. Add to this the fact that said comparative stranger claimed that he'd got it from his mate, Tony Devereux, and not the electricians, and it casts an even darker shadow of improbability onto the Battlecrease Provenance story.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.