Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Suspect Discussion: How about the "Bad Cop" ??? - by jerryd 54 minutes ago.
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - by Joshua Rogan 1 hour and 10 minutes ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - by RockySullivan 1 hour and 14 minutes ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - by RockySullivan 1 hour and 17 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: How about the "Bad Cop" ??? - by The Station Cat 1 hour and 24 minutes ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - by Abby Normal 1 hour and 26 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - (16 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - (3 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: How about the "Bad Cop" ??? - (2 posts)
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - (2 posts)
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - (2 posts)
Non-Fiction: Elizabeth Stride and Jack the Ripper: The Life and Death of the Reputed Third Victim. - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Old 09-19-2017, 03:28 AM
Premium Member
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
It does, Caz - thanks. My experience of replacing old boilers is somewhat limited.

Love,

Caz
X

Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:44 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz View Post
Have you not seen my post re 'spreading mayhem'? I know you saw Gary's 1877 example of a prisoner wondering if he should top himself by means of hanging, because you replied to it.
Yes, indeed, but it's all a matter of how "saturated" these phrases become in Joe/Jim Public's consciousness before they can be included, in a throw-away manner, in a conversation or internal monologue.

The 1877 "top myself" example had to be explained in the text, don't forget, as it was a slang expression. And "top myself" (by hanging or other means) only became a popular expression in more recent times.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 09-19-2017, 04:04 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
I'm not sure anyone has claimed that the alleged trip to Liverpool University was on 9 March, have they? In any case, we don't know for sure that Mike had the diary in front of him when he rang Doreen on that day either, nor when he took over full possession of it. He was putting out feelers, but how much did he really know by then?

Also, wasn't the story [for whatever it's worth] that Mike had some Pan paperbacks indoors and called them first on 9 March, and they put him onto Rupert Crew?
Hi Caz,

I thought the reason for most folk rejecting the Battlecrease Provenance was the fact that it gives an impossible timeline for raising the boards, finding the Diary, locating Mike Barrett, getting across to the University, and phoning Doreen Montgomery all on the same day! So what day was the visit to the University?

No, we don't know for sure that Mike had the Diary on his lap when he rang Doreen, but his reported words were, "I've got Jack The Ripper's Diary, would you be interested to see it?" Another porkie, then? And if so, when did he get his mitts on the Diary?

In fairness to me, it's a while since I've carefully re-read any of my Diary books (including yours) and I should do so, but you're dead right: Page 8 of The Inside Story (I just looked) relates how he obtained Rupert Crew's contact details.

I reckon I missed getting on the list for the new book by a whisker....
Hey ho....

Graham
Old 09-19-2017, 04:07 AM
Premium Member
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J. G. View Post
Caz, my view is that it is a hoax, and a modern one. I have given enough valid reasons for holding this view, reasons which I'm still waiting for literally any believer to address, as opposed to meekly attempting to promote a book. I do not need to invent ideas for how it was written or when it was written, particularly seeing as I have made it clear that I'm not convinced on who wrote it, just that it was recent and a hoax.

You, on the other hand, God knows what your actual opinion on it is, seeing as you spend so much time defending it, and doing a lot of reaching while doing so, I think you may be a closet believer, but you profess not to be. You need to explain how the events of 9th March add up if we're assuming it was done in the late afternoon.

Aigburth to town during rush-hour, arranging a meeting with a random bloke at a random department in a random uni building in town, presumably back to the office to clock-off, then either home or to Anfield, meet Mike, was this meeting instantaneous? Apparently. Then Mike looks at it, and bang! on the dog and bone to London. What time are we on now, Caz? 10pm? lol. Yeah, seems legit.
Hi Mike,

You are attending the conference, right? So you can ask Keith Skinner face to face about the known versus the alleged events on 9 March 1992, can't you? Then you wouldn't need to assume stuff on here about the timing and reach conclusions based on your assumptions, which I then get a boot up my backside for not having enough time to address, clarify or correct in the run-up to my much-needed holiday in Wales.

Would you also be willing to take a copy of Liverpool Soundings with you and show it to Keith? He is very interested in the information you say it contains, which would have assisted Mike Barrett in creating the diary text.

Love,

Caz
X

Old 09-19-2017, 04:12 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I thought the reason for most folk rejecting the Battlecrease Provenance was the fact that it gives an impossible timeline for raising the boards, finding the Diary, locating Mike Barrett, getting across to the University...
Not forgetting, as the time sheet shows, that Rigby entered a full 8-hour shift on the day in question.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:18 AM
Premium Member
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Hi Caz,

I thought the reason for most folk rejecting the Battlecrease Provenance was the fact that it gives an impossible timeline for raising the boards, finding the Diary, locating Mike Barrett, getting across to the University, and phoning Doreen Montgomery all on the same day! So what day was the visit to the University?
Search me, Graham! There have been a lot of assumptions around here that if there was a visit to the University, whether in relation to the diary or something else entirely, it had to be on that same day, which nobody as far as I am aware, has ever claimed.

Quote:
No, we don't know for sure that Mike had the Diary on his lap when he rang Doreen, but his reported words were, "I've got Jack The Ripper's Diary, would you be interested to see it?" Another porkie, then? And if so, when did he get his mitts on the Diary?
I can only suggest that, Mike being Mike, he wanted this thing real bad, and if he didn't already have it in his hands on that day, he was determined to get it as soon as poss.

Quote:
I reckon I missed getting on the list for the new book by a whisker....
Hey ho....
If the interest is there, maybe there will be another printing. I have no idea if that's even possible.

If the interest isn't there, you should be able to pick one up secondhand before long.

Love,

Caz
X

Old 09-19-2017, 04:22 AM
Premium Member
Commisioner

Quote:
Not forgetting, as the time sheet shows, that Rigby entered a full 8-hour shift on the day in question.
As you know, Gareth, Robert offers a couple of reasonable suggestions in his book for how the diary - or at least news of it - may have got to Anfield from Aigburth before the sun was even over the yardarm.

Love,

Caz
X

Old 09-19-2017, 04:24 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
If the interest isn't there, you should be able to pick one up secondhand before long.
With a few pages missing from the front

Old 09-19-2017, 04:26 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
As you know, Gareth, Robert offers a couple of reasonable suggestions in his book for how the diary - or at least news of it - may have got to Anfield from Aigburth before the sun was even over the yardarm.
It still stretches credulity to breaking point, Caz

Old 09-19-2017, 04:54 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
With a few pages missing from the front
And then watch me go....Barrett will have nothing on me!

Graham