Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - by ChrisGeorge 46 minutes ago.
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - by GUT 58 minutes ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by moste 1 hour and 16 minutes ago.
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - by ChrisGeorge 1 hour and 22 minutes ago.
Audio -- Visual: Mention of JtR in recent episode of "The Flash" - by Pcdunn 3 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: A theory about some injuries! - by Abby Normal 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (40 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: A theory about some injuries! - (14 posts)
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - (14 posts)
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - (10 posts)
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - (5 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Centenaries - whole and half - (5 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Media > Books > Non-Fiction

Old 09-03-2017, 11:45 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Webb View Post
You have to be very careful about this stuff because, in theory, Amazon could take down anything you've published if they think just one of your publications infringes copyright. Wikimedia Commons also has some good advice about this: last time I looked at it, it was surprising how much more stringent the UK rules are than the US ones. You have to take care with Wikimedia because they sometimes claim that something is public domain because of its age, but it may not be in the UK (for some reason I'm assuming you're based in the UK).

Some time ago, I obtained permission from my local public library service to use images scanned from their books (as long as I acknowledge the source) but only if they're already in the public domain because of age. Nevertheless in a recent book about some local events around 1650 I used drawings & a painting produced by myself and my wife respectively, partly to avoid copyright infringement.

I have some reservations about using the post-mortem pictures of the victims,which of course everybody's seen, though I'm not sure exactly why. I suppose it's something to do with invading the privacy of the dead?

Is your book going to have a particular slant, or is it going to cover the whole subject? Also, do you feel you have new evidence, or have made new connections others haven't made?

Hello, Dark Passenger,
I fully support this post by Simon Webb. Be careful using other people's photos or reproductions of art, photographs, etc. I have heard (but don't know for a legal fact) that while the original art work or photograph might be old enough to be in public domain, the reproduction of it might still be copyrighted by the person who took the photograph.

Tricky and you are smart to be aware of the pitfalls and possibilities.

curious
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:49 PM
Chief Inspector

Default Private messages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Webb View Post
I'm still fairly new to these message boards - is there a way I can send you a private message?

SW
Hi, Simon.

Yes, just click on Dark Passenger's screen name at the top of their post, then choose "send a private message" in the Control Panel (CP) screen which appears. It should get there, unless Dark hasn't allowed private messages.
---------------
Old 09-03-2017, 03:58 PM
Cadet

Well done. With copyright you'll be all right with most countries, if not all, using contemporary engravings - it's over a century. If you find something you'd like to use, and it's not out of copyright, just ask the person ... most likely for a return link or reference they'll agree to you using the data. Good luck with your book.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:07 AM
Constable

Thanks, PC Dunn.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:07 PM
Detective

Believe it or not, maps are a major issue I'm having. I'm committed to hand-drawing a Whitechapel map for use in all the contexts I require rather than even attempting to use any I find online! It appears that is the preferred method used by contemporary writers, too!

Thanks everyone for your support and advice! I'm going to piss quite a few of you off with the conclusions I've come to in this book but trust me, you're not nearly as pissed as I am at what I am now having to consider the facts of the case. The truth is far more amazing than any fiction. I really look forward to getting this project finished and in print!

I'm writing my final chapter, outlining the suspect the evidence has lead me to. Someone I'd long dismissed. Exciting!
Old 09-07-2017, 04:01 AM
Detective

I've just written a suggestion in my final chapter that's going to really irk a lot of you. When you read it, just...go easy.
That said I think I cannot call myself a true Ripperologist until a Casebooker has savaged my work in a dissertation!
Old 09-14-2017, 04:03 AM
Detective

Okay guys...this map situation is a nightmare. Literally this is a major thing stalling my progress. I've produced small-scale maps to show certain locations but what I could kill for is a map of the murder sites across Whitechapel (canonical five). I'm still trying to ensure I'm not stepping on toes copyright wise, what advice can you give me?
Old 09-14-2017, 07:45 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPassenger View Post
Okay guys...this map situation is a nightmare. Literally this is a major thing stalling my progress. I've produced small-scale maps to show certain locations but what I could kill for is a map of the murder sites across Whitechapel (canonical five). I'm still trying to ensure I'm not stepping on toes copyright wise, what advice can you give me?
I agree with you that accessing clear, accurate and easy to understand maps ais a real problem.

The best map that I have seen is in "The Lodger: Arrest and Escape of Jack the Ripper" by Evans and Skinner, although it doesn't cover the breadth of area I would have preferred.

Have you checked out the "Scene of the Crimes" section in the "Message Boards" on the forum?

There are loads of maps scattered about there.

Good luck.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:12 PM
Detective

Apologies!
The authors are Evans and Gainey.

Doh!
Old 09-14-2017, 09:49 PM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPassenger View Post

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._7_murders.JPG