Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Wickerman 5 hours ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by DirectorDave 6 hours ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by harry 6 hours ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Wickerman 6 hours ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by harry 6 hours ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Wickerman 6 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - (46 posts)
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - (13 posts)
General Police Discussion: The single source question - (8 posts)
General Victim Discussion: What does this picture remind you of? - (3 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Greetings from the past - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Pub Talk

Old 09-13-2017, 02:36 PM
Commisioner

Seems to be a frequent event.

Funny thing is, they claim it's based on the Bible, but then have to ignore the same Bible to get their prediction.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:51 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
I can't argue with any of those quotes, especially the Carl Sagan one.

The world was a duller place when Sagan left us.

While we are on the topic of belief systems, and the illogical thinking embraced by religions, can I recommend a book that absolutely demolishes the wooly thinking surrounding religion, and Christianity in particular.

The book is "Letter to a Christian Nation" by Sam Harris (link below)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Letter-Chri...stian+nati on

It is a short but devastating critique.

Highly recommended!
Couldn't agree more. It's a brilliant book as is his 'The End Of Faith.' His YouTube stuff is always worth watching. My favourite book of that type though is by Christopher Hitchens called God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything. From memory Richard Dawkins put a comment on the front cover of Hitchens' book which said 'if you're a religious apologist and you've been invited to debate Christopher Hitchens, decline.' See his debates on YouTube. Brilliant and funny.

Herlock

"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Old 09-13-2017, 04:26 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Here is an excellent interview with The Amazing Randi in which he explains the basis for his atheism. I hope Randi lives forever but sadly he is near 90.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbfRAMGQ2tc

c.d.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:25 AM
Cadet

I think I won't have to shave this week as I predict a close shave on the 23rd.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:32 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
Couldn't agree more. It's a brilliant book as is his 'The End Of Faith.' His YouTube stuff is always worth watching. My favourite book of that type though is by Christopher Hitchens called God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything. From memory Richard Dawkins put a comment on the front cover of Hitchens' book which said 'if you're a religious apologist and you've been invited to debate Christopher Hitchens, decline.' See his debates on YouTube. Brilliant and funny.
The Hitchens is a fantastic polemic. I read that one twice whereas I never managed to read more than half of Dawkins' God Delusion before tiring of his voice. Dawkins constructs his argument from a hundred petty points, whereas Hitchens goes for the jugular and writes with tremendous style.

I think they're both guilty of arguing mostly against the worst, stupidest, most bigoted version of Christianity, which is rather like shooting fish in a barrel, but most of the arguments can, with a little finessing, be extrapolated to apply to even the wooliest most harmless version of faith.

I credit Hitchens with tackling head-on the old cliche that the Old Testament is 'worse' than the New. As Hitch points out, at least in the OT you would be ok if you just followed the rules and the observances, whereas the God that Jesus reveals in the NT demands control even over your innermost thoughts and feelings as well, it's no longer enough to refrain from adultery, you must also banish all lust, and calling your brother a fool is as offensive to Yahweh as killing him. In other words, the God of Jesus introduces thought-crime to the picture, and essentially installs CCTV cameras inside your mind, to monitor your thoughts. Imagine how many young psyches this bullshlt has crippled....

As Hitch memorably put it: a kind of celestial North Korea.

Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis - Satire III
Old 09-15-2017, 02:53 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Flower View Post
As Hitch memorably put it: a kind of celestial North Korea.
So the Rapture really could be imminent!
Old 09-15-2017, 03:01 AM
Casebook Supporter

In other words, the God of Jesus introduces thought-crime to the picture, and essentially installs CCTV cameras inside your mind, to monitor your thoughts. Imagine how many young psyches this bullshlt has crippled....

A valid point, and one which Nietzsche made over 100 years ago.

I would like to make three points :

Unless there is a different usage in the US, atheism is the denial of the existence of a deity, while agnosticism is "I don't know whether or not." Randi (of whom I'm an admirer) seems to be saying atheist when he should say agnostic.

Secondly, everyone has faith, including scientists. For instance, each one of them believes that other scientists, together with laboratories, scientific instruments, towns, cities and little green apples exist - for which there is no evidence whatsoever. Of course, that doesn't excuse adding one more thing to have faith in.

Thirdly, there is a strictly logical argument for the existence of god. In my opinion, it fails, but I just wanted to mention it to show that it's not all 'how did the eye come to be?' sort of stuff.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:18 AM
Detective

As someone who is not a Christian, or Jew or Muslim or Agnostic or Atheist I wanted to weigh in where I don't belong hahahah

1st- Hitchens was brilliant.. no question, and anyone who watches his debates and thinks he lost is blind or crazy.... even if I didn't agree with his point (I usually did agree with him though) he won the debate... does it mean he was right? no.. but it was a debate and he won...ALWAYS ( I really recommend people watch his debate with Tony Blair!!)

2nd- what the modern day atheist is doing is not just attacking religion and pointing out it's hypocrisy and at times evil.. they are trying to make the point that religion has no place in government...and by being loud and controversial they are getting their voices heard....a lesson they learned from religion

3rd- if the rapture is coming, I am just glad it will be after the Canelo Vs. GGG fight on Saturday... I do NOT WANT TO MISS THAT!!!

Steadmund Brand
Old 09-15-2017, 05:25 AM
Detective

I notice a lot of love for The Amazing Randi on here....that's great.. I had the pleasure of meeting with/ working with Randi on multiple occasions (sorta of.. I worked for CSICOP at the time.. not directly for Randi... and I was a mail room guy so don't get all up in arms if you hate CSICOP hahaha)

Randi was a terrific guy to meet...very funny and engaging in person...very short... but of well hahaha

Randi is getting on in years.. but from what I hear still quite spry and witty... Randi tried so hard to help the world....sadly it didn't work, Peter Popoff is back on TV selling his miracles, Uri Geller is far richer than Randi ever was still makes big money, and phony mediums are welcome on TV shows and in a lot of cases more popular then they were when he started his mission....sad...but Randi was amazing for trying!!

Steadmund Brand
Old 09-15-2017, 05:32 AM
WWotW

I considered rapturing but my heels aren't meant for cloud walking. I'll just keep them firmly on the ground I think. I did ask all those in Florida who were planning to be raptured to put their Oreos, wine and bottles of water out on their front porch on the 22nd. I'll report back on my heathen-haul.

Let all Oz be agreed;
I'm Wicked through and through.

Last edited by Ally : 09-15-2017 at 05:50 AM.