Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - by ChrisGeorge 34 minutes ago.
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - by GUT 46 minutes ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by moste 1 hour and 4 minutes ago.
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - by ChrisGeorge 1 hour and 10 minutes ago.
Audio -- Visual: Mention of JtR in recent episode of "The Flash" - by Pcdunn 3 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: A theory about some injuries! - by Abby Normal 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (40 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: A theory about some injuries! - (14 posts)
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - (14 posts)
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - (10 posts)
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - (5 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Centenaries - whole and half - (5 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #951  
Old 09-13-2017, 02:09 PM
John G John G is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
Or.....it was a spelling error that he repeated, as the evidence shows when he did it with the phrase 'post haste'. As people sometimes do. But of course, that's impossible!

It's pretty obvious that everyone who either thinks the diary is genuine or even allows of a slight possibility that it might be are all gullible idiots. Diary discussion really should be avoided! Nothing in ripperology attracts such strident bias. I should have learned my lesson and avoided this thread.
Personally, my life isn't changed one bit by the diary being genuine or not. I don't claim to be an expert in anything but I've read all the books (including the new one unlike some) and am not convinced that it has been conclusively disproven (anywhere near so.) 'Amateurish?' - no way. Mike Barrett the master forger 25 years later and it's still around. Hitler diary - 6 months.
I'll leave everyone to their comfortable certainty
The Hitler Diaries were good enough to initially fool the eminent World War Two historian Hugh Trevor Roper (Lord Dacre), who knew Hitler's handwriting; he declared them to be, "The most important historical record of the decade." However, he was wrongly informed that they had been tested.

The big advantage that a JtR forger would have is that it's so difficult, with the passage of time, to disprove anything, particularly when you consider the amount of contradictory, and sometimes questionable, source material (Steve's Bucks Row project clearly illustrates this.)

Of course, that is no doubt the fundamental reason why Casebook threads end up being very long and contentious!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #952  
Old 09-13-2017, 02:13 PM
Henry Flower Henry Flower is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hackney Wick
Posts: 1,069
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
First he'd have to prove he was the angel Gabriel, then he'd have to prove God was God and then he'd have to prove the signature was Gods before I'd lend credence.
I would want to know why an invisible entity whose name is Yahweh has suddenly started signing documents 'God'. That, for me, is the first evidence that Gabriel is possibly either a hoaxer, or has been hoaxed.
__________________
What should I do at Rome? I have not learnt
The art of lying


Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis - Satire III
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #953  
Old 09-13-2017, 02:14 PM
Herlock Sholmes Herlock Sholmes is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: The West Midlands
Posts: 1,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J. G. View Post
Have you totally ignored everything I've typed re: the handwriting and how it is analyzed?

I'm starting to wonder whether you're actually interested in figuring this out or not, mate.

What Observer said was correct, a person cannot just change their style at a whim, hence why the entire science of studying such things even bloody exists and flourishes, lol.
I am. That's why I try to keep an open mind on the issue. To you it's an 'obvious' forgery. To many others it's not (or at least in my case it might not be)
There's nothing wrong with debate of course but some things can be interpreted in more than one way but if there's one thing that puts me off this subject it's when people who genuinely believe it's a forgery (a reasonable position to take) constantly deride those who either disagree or even admit to having 'slight doubts.' As I've said before I don't object to anyone's opinion but appears that some object to mine with a 'how can you not understand or accept this,' tone.
__________________
Regards

Herlock






"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"

Last edited by Herlock Sholmes : 09-13-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #954  
Old 09-13-2017, 02:21 PM
Herlock Sholmes Herlock Sholmes is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: The West Midlands
Posts: 1,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J. G. View Post
Have you totally ignored everything I've typed re: the handwriting and how it is analyzed?

I'm starting to wonder whether you're actually interested in figuring this out or not, mate.

What Observer said was correct, a person cannot just change their style at a whim, hence why the entire science of studying such things even bloody exists and flourishes, lol.


So you are actually saying that it's impossible for someone to change their handwriting style!! A proper forger can. Schitzophrenics do. I can. Possibly certain traits can be spotted by the debated science of handwriting analysis but as this hasn't been applied to the diary we can't know either way in this case. You may say that's it's unlikely, or even unlikely in the extreme, but it can't be impossible?
__________________
Regards

Herlock






"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #955  
Old 09-13-2017, 02:28 PM
Herlock Sholmes Herlock Sholmes is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: The West Midlands
Posts: 1,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J. G. View Post
Herlock, something you keep avoiding is the fact that the Tavern, nor any other pub in this city, is on record as being known by the name given in the diary, besides the pub that exists today, lol.

It's funny to see so many people talking about the Tavern, a place that no Scouser I've ever come across has ever known to be called "the Post House".

It's all about probability, not "comfortable certainties," and as a Holmes fan, it's astounding that you show such a lack of understanding about such things, no offense.


No offence at all at the second use of 'laugh out loud' at one of my posts. I know many pubs, as I can't believe that you don't, that have nicknames, I know a guy who called a local pub 'the kennel' because the owner kept 3 large dogs. As far as I know he was the only person that used that name. It's not in writing or in any records. So it can't be completely impossible that a man could call a pub called The Post Office Tavern, the Post House, especially when the two phrases were interchangeable in Victorian times. I'm not saying it's proven. I'm not saying case closed. I'm saying that it can't be impossible. If that deserves a lol then so be it.
__________________
Regards

Herlock






"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #956  
Old 09-13-2017, 02:29 PM
Graham Graham is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Midlands
Posts: 3,067
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Flower View Post
I would want to know why an invisible entity whose name is Yahweh has suddenly started signing documents 'God'. That, for me, is the first evidence that Gabriel is possibly either a hoaxer, or has been hoaxed.
Henry, believe me, it's true. I've spent a lot of time and effort trying to find where God banks, so far with no success. I've tried Lloyds, no good. They have Mephistopheles on their books, they're willing to admit that, but not God.

Graham
__________________
We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #957  
Old 09-13-2017, 02:30 PM
John G John G is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,079
Default

There are two serious anomalies with the diary: "Poste House", which even Shirley Harrison accepts is unresolved, and "one-off instance", which effectively sinks the diary.

The problem is there will always be people who will reject any challenge that doesn't provide absolute proof, and that, of course, is very much to the forger's advantage.

Last edited by John G : 09-13-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #958  
Old 09-13-2017, 02:47 PM
GUT GUT is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I come from a land Down Under
Posts: 7,151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
[/b]

So you are actually saying that it's impossible for someone to change their handwriting style!! A proper forger can. Schitzophrenics do. I can. Possibly certain traits can be spotted by the debated science of handwriting analysis but as this hasn't been applied to the diary we can't know either way in this case. You may say that's it's unlikely, or even unlikely in the extreme, but it can't be impossible?
Handwriting analysis isn't a debated science.

Forensic document examination is a well established long accepted field of science.

Graphology (telling a person's personality from their handwriting) is akin to witchcraft.
__________________
G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #959  
Old 09-13-2017, 02:48 PM
Mike J. G. Mike J. G. is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
I am. That's why I try to keep an open mind on the issue. To you it's an 'obvious' forgery. To many others it's not (or at least in my case it might not be)
There's nothing wrong with debate of course but some things can be interpreted in more than one way but if there's one thing that puts me off this subject it's when people who genuinely believe it's a forgery (a reasonable position to take) constantly deride those who either disagree or even admit to having 'slight doubts.' As I've said before I don't object to anyone's opinion but appears that some object to mine with a 'how can you not understand or accept this,' tone.
I've stated many times that I am willing to change my stance provided that there is sufficient evidence there to do so.

For me, there's nothing wrong in calling bull when we consider these things:

Dodgy provenance? Check.

Inaccurate details? Check.

Confusing timelines? Check.

Evidence of lies from the people involved? Check.

Improbable details? Check.

And it goes on and on.

Frankly, it's down to the people choosing to believe it to prove that it's worth believing in.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The onus is not on those who disbelieve in the unbelievable to prove that the unbelievable is incorrect.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #960  
Old 09-13-2017, 02:51 PM
Mike J. G. Mike J. G. is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
[/b]

So you are actually saying that it's impossible for someone to change their handwriting style!! A proper forger can. Schitzophrenics do. I can. Possibly certain traits can be spotted by the debated science of handwriting analysis but as this hasn't been applied to the diary we can't know either way in this case. You may say that's it's unlikely, or even unlikely in the extreme, but it can't be impossible?
As I've mentioned, there exists a science in which these things are routinely gone over with a fine-tooth comb.

You say that people can disguise their handwriting, and I agree, to an extent.

What people cannot do is maintain enough deceit to go through 60 pages without giving their true selves away, and this is demonstrable in many cases and has been shown to be true.

I've yet to see any evidence that a person can totally mask their style of hand in every detail, and I'll have to ask you to provide me with some evidence for what you say is true. Can you provide any?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.