Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - by DirectorDave 38 minutes ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Sam Flynn 52 minutes ago.
General Police Discussion: The single source question - by MysterySinger 1 hour and 17 minutes ago.
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - by Wolf Vanderlinden 2 hours ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Trevor Marriott 2 hours ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Trevor Marriott 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - (44 posts)
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - (11 posts)
General Police Discussion: The single source question - (8 posts)
General Victim Discussion: What does this picture remind you of? - (3 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Greetings from the past - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Old 09-13-2017, 12:59 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
Says it all.

Bye.
Have you totally ignored everything I've typed re: the handwriting and how it is analyzed?

I'm starting to wonder whether you're actually interested in figuring this out or not, mate.

What Observer said was correct, a person cannot just change their style at a whim, hence why the entire science of studying such things even bloody exists and flourishes, lol.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J. G. View Post
Does his marriage certificate still exist at all? There is surely something still in existence that James put a pen to, one would think. What happened to the contents of the home after his death? Where they shared among the immediate family?

Good question. I've often wondered why more of his handwriting hasn't been discovered.

Even Florences's mum was asking the question, way back in the day..

Quote:
It is quite true that some books are missing. It is supposed that they have been taken away by someone interested in my daughter's downfall. We have wanted these books since my arrival in England after my daughter's arrest. If these books had not been missing much that is mysterious would have been made clear. I shall be able to tell them more about them when I see you. It is always a matter of regret that my daughter's papers and effects, as well as all the household effects were disposed of with such undue haste before the trial"
Old 09-13-2017, 01:01 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Mike Barrett the master forger 25 years later and it's still around. Hitler diary - 6 months.
It's not a masterly forgery.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:03 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Or.....it was a spelling error that he repeated, as the evidence shows when he did it with the phrase 'post haste'. As people sometimes do. But of course, that's impossible!

It's pretty obvious that everyone who either thinks the diary is genuine or even allows of a slight possibility that it might be are all gullible idiots. Diary discussion really should be avoided! Nothing in ripperology attracts such strident bias. I should have learned my lesson and avoided this thread.
Personally, my life isn't changed one bit by the diary being genuine or not. I don't claim to be an expert in anything but I've read all the books (including the new one unlike some) and am not convinced that it has been conclusively disproven (anywhere near so.) 'Amateurish?' - no way. Mike Barrett the master forger 25 years later and it's still around. Hitler diary - 6 months.
I'll leave everyone to their comfortable certainty
Herlock, something you keep avoiding is the fact that the Tavern, nor any other pub in this city, is on record as being known by the name given in the diary, besides the pub that exists today, lol.

It's funny to see so many people talking about the Tavern, a place that no Scouser I've ever come across has ever known to be called "the Post House".

It's all about probability, not "comfortable certainties," and as a Holmes fan, it's astounding that you show such a lack of understanding about such things, no offense.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:06 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
There's an archive in the U.S.A with examples of Maybrick's hand writing.
Really? So can you please explain why samples of Maybrick's handwriting from
this famous archive haven't been reproduced in the various books about the Diary?

Are you sure you don't mean Florence's or even Michael's handwriting?

Graham
Old 09-13-2017, 01:07 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Phew-wee, Mike, you're asking the wrong person. But somewhere there must still exist samples of JM's handwriting - like for example is there some kind of a Historical Society covering the Liverpool Cotton Exchange which keeps archives? I mean, my family were very much working-class (for which I forgive them...) in the second half of the 19th century, but they certainly left behind a whole lot of hand-written correspondence.

Graham
There does exist a record of the Exchange, but the buildings have long since changed hands and locations from the time of Maybrick, and unless any such documents were removed and kept safe, I'd be of the opinion that they're sadly lost to time for now.

That's what bothers me, there are many records for many people from that period, including, like you say, my own family and yours.

I find it hard to believe that a prominent man like May would have no written documents lying around, especially with all of the hoopla surrounding the poisoning case, I'd say surely some documents were taken from the house and reviewed for any signs of foul-play.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:07 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
If it was possible to completely disguise one's hand writing over a 60 plus page document, wouldn't this mean that hand writing analysis would be obsolete?
Bingo!
Old 09-13-2017, 01:10 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
Good question. I've often wondered why more of his handwriting hasn't been discovered.

Even Florences's mum was asking the question, way back in the day..
I find it hard to believe that such documents do not exist somewhere.

Surely such things would be taken from the house during the trial. He also had offices which undoubtedly would've contained many written documents of his.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:12 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
One thing I've read is that even when a person tries hard to disguise their writing, literally using a different hand, or constructing letters in a different way, they still manage to give glaring clues away of their identities.

Another thing a person tends to do when disguising their identities when writing is to revert back to their own style partway through without having realized it, which is why experts tend to start from the end of a text and work their way back, and this is something that was echoed in the recent H.H. holmes show on History by an analyst studying the "Ripper letters".
Bingo!
winner winner chicken dinner!

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Last edited by Abby Normal : 09-13-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that such documents do not exist somewhere.

Surely such things would be taken from the house during the trial. He also had offices which undoubtedly would've contained many written documents of his.

Exactly 'what' handwriting of JM's are you comparing to?

I thought it was based on his last Will ? Which was queried as genuine as likely to have been written by Michael M.