Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Suspect Discussion: Was Ernest Dowson Jack the Ripper? - by SuspectZero 10 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by RockySullivan 25 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by jerryd 35 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by RockySullivan 1 hour and 7 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - by richardnunweek 2 hours ago.
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - by DirectorDave 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (10 posts)
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - (6 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: Elizabeth's murder and the double event - (4 posts)
General Discussion: Albert Backert - did he emigrate? - (3 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (2 posts)
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Victims > Non-Canonical Victims > Martha Tabram

Old 08-23-2017, 07:10 AM
Casebook Supporter

Hello Harry

Re "focused in this area", it's worth noting that Tabrams wounds were concentrated around her throat and chest, with comparatively few in the abdomen. Of those few, I believe that the majority were in the upper abdomen. If it was the Ripper who killed her, he seems to have acquired a taste for the lower abdomen, and its contents, pretty quickly thereafter.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:12 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
agree. and think-skirt pulled up to expose abdomen.
Think, "prostitutes pull up their own skirts, too". It's part of the job.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:13 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Hello Harry

Re "focused in this area", it's worth noting that Tabrams wounds were concentrated around her throat and chest, with comparatively few in the abdomen. Of those few, I believe that the majority were in the upper abdomen. If it was the Ripper who killed her, he seems to have acquired a taste for the lower abdomen, and its contents, pretty quickly thereafter.
This is true Sam, but as mentioned earlier, her skirt was pulled up to expose the abdomen-like most of the others.

and yes he did learn pretty quickly thereafter-as many serial killers do.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 08-23-2017, 07:14 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Think, "prostitutes pull up their own skirts, too". It's part of the job.
yeah but not while lying down dead

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 08-23-2017, 07:30 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
yeah but not while lying down dead
Before. Abby. Lifting her skirts in preparation for what she thought was just another transaction. Perhaps, in doing so, she even presented him with an opportunity to catch her off guard. Either way, her lifted skirts weren't going to be of much use to him, as the vast majority of the wounds were inflicted above the midriff.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:48 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Before. Abby. Lifting her skirts in preparation for what she thought was just another transaction. Perhaps, in doing so, she even presented him with an opportunity to catch her off guard. Either way, her lifted skirts weren't going to be of much use to him, as the vast majority of the wounds were inflicted above the midriff.
Hi Sam
Think this through Sam. if she had lifted her skirt for intercourse while standing, like usual, she would have let go during an attack and the skirt would have fallen back down. and stayed down as she went to the ground.

The most likely explanation is that at some point the killer lifted her skirt while she was already lying down, which shows an inclination with focus on and exposing of that part of the body(knife wounds or not)-which the ripper obviously had.

and the fact that most of the other ripper victims also ACTUALLY were found with their skirts pushed up and its rather obvious, to me any way, that the ripper was lifting up the skirts of his victims, tabram included.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 08-23-2017, 08:11 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Hi Sam
Think this through Sam. if she had lifted her skirt for intercourse while standing, like usual
Well, they were on the landing of a stairwell, so perhaps they were planning on something rather more horizontal than a "tuppeny-upright" against an outside wall.
Quote:
The most likely explanation is that at some point the killer lifted her skirt.
Again, why, when the vast majority of the wounds were inflicted above the "belt-line"? My guess is that he showered her neck, thorax and stomach with stabs, then had one or two digs to her already-exposed abdomen before getting out of there. (And, I might add, the only real "guess" I've made there is that her abdomen was already exposed; the rest is entirely factual.)

Old 08-23-2017, 08:24 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Well, they were on the landing of a stairwell, so perhaps they were planning on something rather more horizontal than a "tuppeny-upright" against an outside wall.
Again, why, when the vast majority of the wounds were inflicted above the "belt-line"? My guess is that he showered her neck, thorax and stomach with stabs, then had one or two digs to her already-exposed abdomen before getting out of there. (And, I might add, the only real "guess" I've made there is that her abdomen was already exposed; the rest is entirely factual.)
Hi sam

Quote:
yes of course-perhaps they were lying down to begin with-certainly a possibility. point taken.

ive also often thought that the ripper may have come upon her already passed out-many serial killers first kill is one of complete unexpectedness, unplanned and opportunity. Plus one of the witnesses did say people often passed out in the landing.

Quote:
Again, why, when the vast majority of the wounds were inflicted above the "belt-line"? My guess is that he showered her neck, thorax and stomach with stabs, then had one or two digs to her already-exposed abdomen before getting out of there. (And, I might add, the only real "guess" I've made there is that her abdomen was already exposed; the rest is entirely factual
well because when serial killers first start they are still learning how to kill and achieve there full fantasy. I understand your guess and its certainly possible, but with all the other evidence combined-victimology, time of night, location, proximity in time to the series--I just see this as the rippers work, which included hiking up his victims skirt to expose the privates and abdomen.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 08-23-2017, 08:26 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
My guess is that he showered her neck, thorax and stomach with stabs, then had one or two digs to her already-exposed abdomen before getting out of there.
If we swap the word stabs for incisions, Sam, it`s a typical Ripper attack, and both Nichols and McKenzie had one or two digs to their lower abdomen, like Martha.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:36 AM
Casebook Supporter

Hello Jon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Guy View Post
If we swap the word stabs for incisions, Sam, it`s a typical Ripper attack, and both Nichols and McKenzie had one or two digs to their lower abdomen, like Martha.
But the Ripper's victims typically didn't have multiple wounds to their throats or chests - I'm not counting cut throats, because Tabram's throat was conspicuously not cut. That, in itself, is rather unusual; surely, if you're going to use a sharp knife on someone's throat, the most effective way of using it would be to cut the throat, not stick it multiple times. Plus, of course, it's probable that the wound which actually killed Tabram was the stab to the heart, and that the throat wounds were inflicted afterwards, in an almost complete reversal of the Ripper's approach.