Ripper Novel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripper Novel?

I'm not sure if this is the right place and such; if not a redirect would be nice!
    Anyway, to the point!
    I've been plotting (sounds like I've been plotting a murder) a novel for several months now. Essentially, the plot is along the lines of an aspiring writer / novice Ripperologist (much like myself!!) falls asleep on a pile of Ripper-related documents which causes her dreamscape to fall into Whitechapel 1888. After discovering this, she attempts it again, with the same result.
    Over a span of time, she begins to abuse sleeping pills to 'visit' Whitechapel and attempt to catch the Ripper himself. Her situation is discovered by her family and she is given therapy but continues on her way.

I don't mean for this to sound self-advertising/spammy, I'm just somewhat unsure and also this is my first post!
    Thanks for taking the time to read this!!

Originally posted by WastelandOfTheRipper View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the right place and such; if not a redirect would be nice!
    Anyway, to the point!
    I've been plotting (sounds like I've been plotting a murder) a novel for several months now. Essentially, the plot is along the lines of an aspiring writer / novice Ripperologist (much like myself!!) falls asleep on a pile of Ripper-related documents which causes her dreamscape to fall into Whitechapel 1888. After discovering this, she attempts it again, with the same result.
    Over a span of time, she begins to abuse sleeping pills to 'visit' Whitechapel and attempt to catch the Ripper himself. Her situation is discovered by her family and she is given therapy but continues on her way.

I don't mean for this to sound self-advertising/spammy, I'm just somewhat unsure and also this is my first post!
    Thanks for taking the time to read this!!
    Hi,

Welcome to the Casebook. It's an interesting idea. As you probably know there have been many ripper novels over the years. Some are very good. Some....well err!
    Anyway you are in the right place for information and advice. It's perhaps a little ironic that I'm the one to respond to your first post as I've spent most of my recent time on here arguing against Lechmere as a candidate! It's pretty friendly on here but things can get heated, as youve probably seen if you've looked at the 'Lechmere' and 'diary' threads. Enjoy...

Comment

Oh, really? That's interesting.
      However, thank you for the help!
      I have seen that things do indeed get heated on here, I've been slowly making my way through threads for the past months.
      Thank you for the warm welcome, also!!

Comment

Welcome, Wasteland. Good luck with your book! Hope your heroine manages to avoid a too-close encounter with Jack himself!
        Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
        ---------------
        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
        ---------------

Comment

Thank you!!
          I hope so too; I'm beginning the drafting today! (:

Comment

Hi WastelandOfTheRipper,

I hope you sell a shed-load of your book, make oodles of money, retire to a remote island and eat lotuses and drink nectar all day, but please remember that you are up against stiff competition.

You are not alone.

Every Ripper book written in the last hundred-and-twenty-nine years which has named a suspect has been a work of fiction.

Regards,

Simon
            Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Interesting idea you have there, Simon!
              Thanks ��

Comment

It's not an idea. It's the truth.

Comment

In other truths, I've got four chapters down this morning!

Comment

Good for you. Go for it.

I have helped crowd-fund another Ripper novel. I'm just informing you about what you're up against, which is the fact that the whole body of Ripper literature written to date which posits a suspect is fiction.

Comment

if you made her present-day story interesting or relevant, then it could make for a good story. like,... by blacking out and solving the crime in 1888, she's somehow endangering her life in the modern day.
                      there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

Crowd fund?

Comment

Yes, that's the idea

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                            Hi WastelandOfTheRipper,

I hope you sell a shed-load of your book, make oodles of money, retire to a remote island and eat lotuses and drink nectar all day, but please remember that you are up against stiff competition.

You are not alone.

Every Ripper book written in the last hundred-and-twenty-nine years which has named a suspect has been a work of fiction.

Regards,

Simon
                            Simon,

Do you think that every author or researcher who proposes a suspect or even tries to evaluate the existing ones is either a) dishonest, b) stupid or c) a combination of both?

Do you think that you stand alone as the sole 'champion of truth' in Ripperology?

Do you think that you will ever fully answer one of David Orsam's questions ?

Are you the first person ever to name a conspiracy without naming the conspirators?

Comment

I certainly don't expect to uncover the true identity of the Ripper in my novel, I'm considering making someone up for the sake of it, really. But I do agree with you, Herlock.

Comment

Working...
                              X