Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Yabs 8 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Henry Flower 18 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Mike J. G. 18 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by John G 20 minutes ago.
General Discussion: Jacob Schikaneder - Murder in the house (1890) - by SirJohnFalstaff 21 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Mike J. G. 25 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (100 posts)
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - (56 posts)
Annie Chapman: Annie's scarf - (2 posts)
General Discussion: General Victoriana - (2 posts)
General Discussion: Slang terms - (1 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: East End Photographs and Drawings - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Old 08-18-2017, 10:19 AM
Commisioner

It is, of course, very important to draw a distinction between putting a document in the bin and destroying a document.

Because the difference is.....er, the difference is.....well the difference is obvious, I mean, one is putting it in the bin and the other is destroying it.

A very important and significant distinction that needs to be made an a serious forum for adult posters.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
It is, of course, very important to draw a distinction between putting a document in the bin and destroying a document.

Because the difference is.....er, the difference is.....well the difference is obvious, I mean, one is putting it in the bin and the other is destroying it.

A very important and significant distinction that needs to be made an a serious forum for adult posters.

*crouches down and puts hard hat on...

(very different to daves tin foil version)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:08 AM
Commisioner

Given the unreliability of the source, I don't suppose anyone actually believes that I might think that Shirley Harrison made up her "one-off" information but some people clearly have problems with understanding and comprehension.

Here is what I posted on the "Incontrovertible" thread as recently as 8th June (#3371):

"I haven't said Harrison is being untruthful. I haven't said she has made anything up.

It's obvious she got into a terrible muddle with her notes and her memory. She was told something in 1993 by Dr Tony Deeson, who might have found something in Traynors' archives, but she never managed to verify it. In 2003 she seems to think she got the information directly from Traynors but probably forgot it was from Deeson. She never saw any document herself.

The end result is that we cannot rely on this supposed information."
Old 08-18-2017, 11:16 AM
Commisioner

I love how it's possible to think that Mike's original research notes were quite innocently thrown into the wastepaper basket, not appreciating their significance (even though someone was going to all the trouble of typing them up and/or re-typing them and tidying them up) yet, at the same time, to also think that those same research notes might have been fabricated to make them appear that they reflected research going back earlier than 9th March 1992 in order to corroborate the Devereux story. Yet it doesn't seem to occur that that might have been the very reason for their destruction!

And if they were destroyed to cover up a fabrication, could that fabrication have been that they were not genuine research notes at all but notes made to look like genuine research notes?
Old 08-18-2017, 11:33 AM
Commisioner

I must say, I'm having difficulty wrapping my head around the possibility that Mike's research notes were deliberately changed to make them appear that Mike had been researching for longer than he really had been.

So let's get this straight.

Mike receives the Diary on 9th March 1992 and, bang!, he is on it with the research at the library (perhaps just after ordering that Victorian diary with blank pages) so when he later meets Shirley in London he is able to present her with the results of this research which shows him innocently trying to find out if it was fake or genuine.

He's got a very good head start knowing that the Diary came from Battlecrease, the home of James Maybrick, and no doubt his research notes, when seen in full, must reflect that knowledge.

Oh no, but hold on, he couldn't have given THAT PART of his research notes to Shirley because that would have given away his knowledge of a fantastic provenance for the Diary. And that would never do. Much better to make up a fake cover story and say he got it from a dead man in a pub (because those daft Londoners will believe that).

Any notes showing a starting point that this was James Maybrick's Diary must have been quietly destroyed to demonstrate Mike's ignorance of where the document came from. They were then not included in the "re-typed" and "tidied up" version.

Got it? Right let's continue.

So he's done his research starting no earlier than March 1992 but when he is ready to give his research notes to Shirley it occurs to him that it would be rather difficult to explain why he was given the Diary to Tony Devereux some significant time before this but did not start doing any research until after his telephone call to Doreen.

So the incompetent and stupid Mike and the honest and upright Anne cook up between them a cunning and crafty little plan to destroy Mike's original notes, which reflected only a few weeks of research, to create a document showing a masterpiece of research conducted over many months.

My goodness, one could almost think the evil genius of a mind (or minds) behind such a clever scheme was capable of forging the Diary, not just the research notes!
Old 08-18-2017, 12:44 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
Apology accepted, David

Now apologise for calling me a 'she'.... KAZ is my nickname. I'm called Mark
Oh bollocks, that's an misunderstanding of some years' making!

Sorry Kaz - I'm one of the perpetratos, I'm afraid.

PS Perpetratos???? Shurely shum mishtake?

Ike (a bloke)

Last edited by Iconoclast : 08-18-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:46 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz View Post
Fair point, Henry. We Aquarians don't find anything remotely interesting or relevant about the star signs of philandering cotton merchants.

But one person's idea of interesting and relevant is not going to the next person's, is it, if they don't share the same star sign.

Love,

Caz
X
Hey star sister, I'm an Aquarian too! LOL.

Ike
Old 08-18-2017, 12:48 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
Here is what I posted on the "Incontrovertible" thread as recently as 8th June (#3371):
It would make more sense for everyone if you could refer to it as The Greatest Thread of All, David.

Not judging. Just saying. LOL.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:10 PM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
It would make more sense for everyone if you could refer to it as The Greatest Thread of All, David.

Not judging. Just saying. LOL.
The whole braggadocio schtick is wearing very thin. Tiresome.

Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis - Satire III
Old 08-18-2017, 01:11 PM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Flower View Post
The whole braggadocio schtick is wearing very thin. Tiresome.
I'm also keen to see if you can end a third consecutive post with a 'LOL'.

That would be great.

Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis - Satire III